Building Walls Is Now The Solution To Terrorist Threats? | World Defense

Building Walls Is Now The Solution To Terrorist Threats?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA

Security Experts Split on Kenyan Barrier Wall

The Kenyan government is taking dramatic new steps to secure its border with Somalia by erecting a wall designed to keep out militants after a series of cross-border raids by al-Shabab militants. But experts are divided on whether the initiative is the long-awaited solution to Kenya's security problems, or a misguided effort.

Northeastern Kenya borders both Ethiopia and Somalia. For more than two decades - since the collapse of Somalia's central government in 1990s - the region has suffered incursions from Somalia, and more recently, frequent raids by the al-Qaida-linked terrorist group al-Shabab.

With danger increasing, Kenyan officials are working on building a wall along parts of the border - while keeping roads open for trade and easy access for security officials to respond to any attack.

Interior Ministry spokesman Mwenda Njoka tells VOA the intent is to improve security in areas where the danger is greatest, and open routes for people to safely cross the border.

"There are specific entry points and specific exit points. So there are certain areas we may have to put physical obstructions, in other places we may need [a] wall or fences … but it's not a wall that runs the entire 700 km of the border," says Njoka.

The county government says al-Shabab militants have killed more than 100 people in Kenya’s northeastern Mandera county in the last four months.

The Somali Islamist group vowed, and delivered, multiple revenge attacks against Kenya after Nairobi sent troops into Somalia in 2011 to fight alongside an African Union force.

The insecurity has also crippled education in northeastern Kenya, where hundreds of teachers have refused to go back to their schools after militiamen attacked a bus carrying educators late last year, killing 28 people.

Security analyst Andrew Franklin says building walls will help in the face of scant border patrols.

"It’s a comprehensive solution. Putting up a barrier whether they are physical or electronic - is nothing without humans…. it’s not only the primary answer because right now we don't have enough staff, we don't have enough personnel to man the entire border that is completely open and what we want to do is try to restore order along the border with Somalia," says Franklin.

Kenya media reports some leaders from northern Kenya have welcomed the initiative saying it will reduce the number of terrorists crossing and it will also help curb illegal border trade.

But others warn the wall is not the complete solution as it won’t help against al-Shabab sympathizers already in Mandera county.

Independent security analyst, Abdiwahab Sheikh Abdisamad, says security in the north can be improved if officials and civilians work together - otherwise the project means little.

"What is the significance of building the wall right now? Are they going to minimize al-Shabab who are now crossing into Kenya so nobody knows? Kenya must gain the hearts and the minds of the northern people so that, together, they can defeat al-Shabab, otherwise building a wall doesn't help the matter," says Abdisamad.

The militant group has lost ground in the last couple years in the face of a concerted military effort by African Union troops and Somali forces, but al-Shabab has continued carrying out suicide and hit-and-run attacks.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
You see how well that worked for China. It worked for a while in Germany, but then the people rebelled and took it down. I doubt they are goin to have any more luck than anyone else.

TinVanMan

Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
In the modern world, I think building a wall is a lazy solution to any problem. In America, we often hear about this as a solution to immigration problems. I can only imagine that in Kenya building a wall is not going to deter that many people from attacking those they want to destroy. Kenya is a nation with a long history of wars within itself and surrounding areas. It is also a very poor country. This can not be the most cost-effective solution. How hard would it be for a militant to get in the country, then gather the weapons needed to do a lot of human damage. My thought is, not very.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I don't think a wall will be enough to stop these terrorists. I can guarantee that they will destroy parts of that wall in less than a week if they are serious about entering Kenya to carry out terrorist activities. Having such a huge border to protect means that there will always be illegal entries.

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
I am a fan of big walls that keep out enemies. It's a great idea if executed well. Israel has done this effectively as terrorist attacks have decreased a lot there compared to before the wall, the only fault is that one is built on occupied land and takes huge chunks of the occupied WB so it's not helping with achieving long term peace..

However, if a country builds a wall on its own territory on the border I'm all for that.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
I am a fan of big walls that keep out enemies. It's a great idea if executed well. Israel has done this effectively as terrorist attacks have decreased a lot there compared to before the wall, the only fault is that one is built on occupied land and takes huge chunks of the occupied WB so it's not helping with achieving long term peace..

However, if a country builds a wall on its own territory on the border I'm all for that.

And you wonder why Iran is able to gain loyalty of Arabs in this region. You're not only a miserable traitor but also one that has nothing to offer to the people of the Arab region(besides assuring Israel that your fall is detrimental to its security). I dont know if this is a Jordanian problem or what. But the people think like you do are the reason so many Arab young adults are joining 'terrorist' groups. Because going to their death is better than living under honorless, no dignity ,lazy, corrupt and authoratrian Arab regimes like the ones you worship. Either way, jordanian people are insignificant and soon will come the time were they must budge to the adults of the region or be squashed like cockroaches.

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
And you wonder why Iran is able to gain loyalty of Arabs in this region. You're not only a miserable traitor but also one that has nothing to offer to the people of the Arab region(besides assuring Israel that your fall is detrimental to its security). I dont know if this is a Jordanian problem or what. But the people think like you do are the reason so many Arab young adults are joining 'terrorist' groups. Because going to their death is better than living under honorless, no dignity ,lazy, corrupt and authoratrian Arab regimes like the ones you worship. Either way, jordanian people are insignificant and soon will come the time were they must budge to the adults of the region or be squashed like cockroaches.
*sigh* so idiotic, you are. Those 'poor young adults' who join terrorist groups represent a tiny fraction of the total Arab youth. If they want to betray their respective countries as well as their humanity, they can go ahead and join Isis and the like. They are the ones who will are currently and will continue to be squashed like cockroaches.

I don't know who these "adults of the region" are but the Jordan Armed Forces are ready for them and anyone else. Even if Jordan goes down, we will put up a hell of a fight.

Oh and "the people of the Arab region" and especially the Palestinians can eat a bag of dicks for all I care.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

Don't you think the so called terrorist attacks are somewhat justifiable? Call me a terrorist against Israel I don't care. Israel is no more that a terrorist state itself built illegally on an occupied territory, committed the most hideous war crime mankind have ever witnessed. You take my land, you kill my people and if I resist you call me terrorist!

Peace should be initiated by Israel if it wants to leave in peace but it simply favors to keep on demolishing homes, killing people and stealing lands. We have done our job by proposing peace many times but all initiatives have been rejected. I think Israel shouldn't taste our patience and accept what have been proposed or one day it shall witness the outcome of our patience. I don't know what Israel thinks of itself. Its a fucking tiny spot that one or two missiles would simply wipe it out.

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
Don't you think the so called terrorist attacks are somewhat justifiable? Call me a terrorist against Israel I don't care. Israel is no more that a terrorist state itself built illegally on an occupied territory, committed the most hideous war crime mankind have ever witnessed. You take my land, you kill my people and if I resist you call me terrorist!

Peace should be initiated by Israel if it wants to leave in peace but it simply favors to keep on demolishing homes, killing people and stealing lands. We have done our job by proposing peace many times but all initiatives have been rejected. I think Israel shouldn't taste our patience and accept what have been proposed or one day it shall witness the outcome of our patience. I don't know what Israel thinks of itself. Its a fucking tiny spot that one or two missiles would simply wipe it out.
I agree with all of what you said. Terrorism is defined as the use of violence and intimidation in pursuit of political ends. So technically they were terrorist attacks. Whether they were justified or not I can't clearly say. Resistance is a duty against an enemy but also in many cases children were killed in these attacks. Besides, I was merely pointing out that the security wall they built was effective for them, not debating the morals of the occupation or the resistance.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA

Israel, and its Christian supporters all think Israel can do whatever it wants because they're gods chosen people. You wouldn't believe the number of people around here that basically think we should turn around and bend over just because Israel wants us to.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I agree with all of what you said. Terrorism is defined as the use of violence and intimidation in pursuit of political ends. So technically they were terrorist attacks. Whether they were justified or not I can't clearly say. Resistance is a duty against an enemy but also in many cases children were killed in these attacks. Besides, I was merely pointing out that the security wall they built was effective for them, not debating the morals of the occupation or the resistance.

Terrorist attacks according to Israel. Yes the wall might be affective but it separates people from their families and relatives.

It basically disproportionates use of force. Israel operates an air force that gives it the ability to shell innocents including children from far away while in return it imprisoned children for throwing rocks. Seriously man it has been more than 65 years of occupation and all we see is a double stander and total hypocrisy. This should come to an end. Enough of killing enough of destruction enough of occupation and enough of siege imposed on helpless unarmed people. What is Israel getting out of that? Why doesn't it go back to the 76 boundaries agreement that it signed upon and just move on and live in peace?

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Israel, and its Christian supporters all think Israel can do whatever it wants because they're gods chosen people. You wouldn't believe the number of people around here that basically think we should turn around and bend over just because Israel wants us to.

God chosen or not that doesn't justify the occupation of people's land, the ongoing demolishing of homes and killing of innocent people. The US keeps talking about peace, human rights and democracy lecturing people everywhere while all this evaporate in the air when it comes to Israel.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
God chosen or not that doesn't justify the occupation of people's land, the ongoing demolishing of homes and killing of innocent people. The US keeps talking about peace, human rights and democracy lecturing people everywhere while all this evaporate in the air when it comes to Israel.
Israel has hands out a lot of money to our politicians so they can make sure they're allowed to continue being tyrants. My opinion? God should have picked someone a little less violent and egocentric as his chosen people. Maybe Buddhist or Hindu. They seem pretty peaceful

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
Terrorist attacks according to Israel. Yes the wall might be affective but it separates people from their families and relatives.

It basically disproportionates use of force. Israel operates an air force that gives it the ability to shell innocents including children from far away while in return it imprisoned children for throwing rocks. Seriously man it has been more than 65 years of occupation and all we see is a double stander and total hypocrisy. This should come to an end. Enough of killing enough of destruction enough of occupation and enough of siege imposed on helpless unarmed people. What is Israel getting out of that? Why doesn't it go back to the 76 boundaries agreement that it signed upon and just move on and live in peace?
Well the Israeli right (led by Benjamin Netanyahu) has been very good at holding on to power and making sure that a peaceful solution never happens (by building further settlements and all the gaza wars and the agitation, etc). So basically they will never be a peaceful solution as long as Israelis are further sheltered from the effects of the wars. In the early 2000s many Israelis were in danger and that's why they voted in people like Olmert who wanted to make significant compromises for peace. Bibi's administration sees a public which feels safer with keeping the status quo of occupation and the occasional gaza war which effects them less and less every time.

The truth is that we're heading towards a future where there will be no peace and no viable two-state solution, despite the best efforts of Arab states.

Either Palestine will eventually just disappear and Palestinians will forget or there will be a big war which forces the zionists to go to the negotiating table (it can just as well end in the destruction of several Arab states) or the miraculous, the Israeli public vote in a pro-peace government.

*Something to remember: Israel has the absolute, full support of the U.S. and in turn NATO. So even if it's a tiny spot defeating it is very difficult and impossible currently.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

No you don't agree, otherwise I wouldn't have lashed out on you. You clearly referring to Palestinians in your post. I advise you read into history and order of events. Firstly, look at what happened during intifiadas in Palestine. All were started by Israeli attacks or attacks by individual Israelis. Such as an Israeli jeep running over kids in Gaza murdering them. That's what began first intifada. Second intifada occured after israeli forces allowed a settler gunman to enter a mosque and he shot and killed 29 worshipers. And afterwards protestd occurred, Israeli army killed another 40 Palestinians in first week. While they made funeral procession for the Jewish gunman and thousands attended it.only then did Hamas decide that it's probbsly time to attack Israeli civilians in return.

And those attacks were very rare, only when masses of Palestinian civilians were killed. The vast majority targeted what Israel calls 'border guards' and Israeli soldiers. All these 'border guards and soldiers' were inside occuipped territory in West Bank. This is why they were targeted. They are legal targets. Look at the Israeli foreign ministry website online,check the victims of these 'terror attacks', almost all have lueitanant or colonel or policemen in front of their name.

I don't know why you have this stupid mentality, are you one of those people who discovered his Jewish identity or do you just hate Palestinians or what?