Camouflage. Is it still needed? | Page 2 | World Defense

Camouflage. Is it still needed?

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Even with all the drones and other items, I think their is still a strong need for camouflage. It will not only help with the concealment of forces, but also helps them blend in.

glockman

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Kenya
Definitely, camouflage can hide aircraft on the ground from marauding raiders. Keep in mind that radar and other anti- air defense systems are not fool proof. There are blind spots in places such as valleys and behind mountain ranges. In such circumstances, the interceptors have to get real low to find their prey. If these bogeys have a nice camouflage scheme, they maybe hard to spot.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I would love a first hand opportunity to play with some cloaking devices.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I think even if cloaking tech became a regularly used thing, there would still be a need for air defence. The enemy would work out a way to get around the cloaking tech so they can target the intruding planes, which will result in better cloaking tech and better air defence tech.
They'll keep canceling out the gains made. Funny that despite all the progress they'll make in cloaking tech in the end no one gains the upper-hand. As one ancient philosopher said, it's like chasing the wind. All the tech advancements but . . . nothing gained.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Nope, nothing gained at all really, just more sophisticated ways at killing one another with no real end to the advancements that can be made.

It's like when you were a kid and playing with a friend. He would put a hand on top of yours, you put your other hand on, he puts his other one on top, and then you pull out your hand on the bottom to put it on top, and he does the same. It's almost never ending.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I would like one of those invisibility cloaks like Harry Potter had, one of these days. No good movie shall ever go unwatched by me, again!!

CrowdedHighways

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Latvia
Ground forces still exist. And camouflage does its job very well in these situations. It does not only hide you, it confuses your opponent, and you gain the valuable seconds that determine the border between life and death.

Rock

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Camouflage is needed, just because modern weapons have different ways of attacking doesn't mean you should get rid of the old ways, it would be like a future soldier ditching his bullet vest for a energy shield until the enemy just pulls out a pistol instead, planes still need camouflage, especially now they are fighting insurgents that don't have much modern gear so have to use LOS most of the time to find aircraft.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
I was having a think about this late last night and I thought I would get others opinions on it.

With modern radar & weapons technology, aircraft can now lock a target and fire on it from several miles away with the enemy not even knowing what's happening until they get hit. So my question is this; is camouflage really needed these days with the latest fighting aircraft capable of over the horizon combat?

Obviously for the previous generation it is still needed and with helicopters yes, but I can't help but feel that with modern tech, we have rendered camouflage as obsolete.

What are your opinions on this?

Well I think it is needed because those fighting in the desert can blend in with the surroundings if they are in camo. There is still plenty of ground fighting going on and for those who are I think camo is a necessary part of their equiment. It is needed for cover.

Freespirit

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
I think camouflage is still needed because it helps soldiers to blend in with the environment. This is especially true in areas like deserts or even forests where camouflage clothings are really beneficial. It is difficult to spot an enemy if he is clad in suits camouflaging them and making them one with the surroundings.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I definitely think camouflage is needed. As others have mentioned, especially when it comes to ground combat. When youre in a violent conflict you never know whats going to happen so all troops should have camouflage. It gives us an upper hand in battle situations and allows our troops not to be sitting targets.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, I believe there is still a need for traditional camouflage. Why give up on something that has been successful for so many years, when it is still effective? Despite the advances in technology and weapons, we still need to use basic safety techniques. I can be engrossed in watching an HD movie on my television, yet still be distracted by something I see out of the corner of my eye, because it stands out. Using camouflage gives an edge, and in combat, we need every advantage we can get.

bluedog

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Aside from the practical points in limiting an enemy's ability to see, camouflage also acts as a uniform. Having a uniform is part of being a cohesive force and is important in and of itself.

You got that right and I totally agree with you. So, in response to the question are camouflage uniforms needed, yes!

I will go a little further in why I say yes because I did read through the responses and understand the reasoning behind the confirmation that it is important to blend in even with today's technology. Beyond the obvious, people in the military are going to dress right dress in all their actions and that includes a uniform.

I recall reporting for basic training and getting a uniform issued. I would have thought game over, if it was anything but camouflage. Of course, uniforms in the US Army use to be a solid green right before I got in and nowadays the material is a little different. Also knew when someone was getting ready to deploy, then the tan uniforms were issued.

Tanis

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 1 0
Country
Germany
Camouflage is still an effective tool in disguising military formations from simple visual surveillance. Even satellite and aircrafted mounted camera technology often requires human operators to examine feeds and identify enemies. If a formation is capable of hiding from or fooling non-visual methods like infrared and can still remain camouflaged from the human eye, they remain effectively hidden.

Camouflage is also an extremely useful tool against forces which rely solely on visual identification. Not every army has the technology to observe from above in multiple spectrums.

eveliner

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Your reckoning only applies to "hardcore" actions. There will always needed snipers and underground shooters who need to hide themselves as much as they can from the enemy camp, so I believe that camouflage is still needed. But yeah, on the larger scale... I'm on the same camp as you. I don't believe camouflage plays a very important role nowadays. I mean, humans don't do much of the work anyway... I believe that in the next few decades wars will be conducted solely by robots and drones! Those don't really need camouflage, to be honest.