Canada To Buy Iron Dome-like Radar Systems

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

635738654696520328-rheinmetall-medrange-radar.jpg

OTTAWA — Canada said Wednesday it will purchase missile defense radars modeled after Israel's Iron Dome system from German defense contractor Rheinmetall.

The Canadian Ministry of National Defence put the cost of the 10 medium-range radar systems at CAN $243.3 million (US $187.2 million).

Defence Minister Jason Kenney hailed the deal, saying the technology had proved useful for Israel.

"Much like Israel's successful Iron Dome radar technology, the Medium Range Radar System will be able to instantly track enemy fire aimed at Canadian armed forces personnel and help keep them safe during operations," Kenney said.

The ministry said the radar systems are "capable of detecting hostile indirect fire, locating the position of the enemy weapon and calculating the point of impact of a projectile, as well as simultaneously tracking multiple
airborne threats."

They will be manufactured by Rheinmetall's Canadian branch, which will work alongside ELTA Systems, a subsidiary of Israel Aerospace Industries.

The delivery of the radar systems is expected to begin in 2017.

Canada has become one of Israel's closest allies since the election of Canadian conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2006. Canada was one of the few countries to oppose Palestine's bid for an
upgraded status at the United Nations in 2012.

Rheinmetall also announced Wednesday a contract to provide the Canadian Army with new communications and navigation technology, the modular Integrated Soldier System (ISS), which it said "greatly improves the situational awareness of the individual soldier."

The ISS contract is for four years, and if the qualification phase is approved by the Canadian government, could amount to a second contract worth a total of CAN $250 million, according to a statement from Rheinmetall Canada.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
What does Canada need this for? Just giving taxpayer money to Israel since the government is full of right wing Christian nutjobs.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Like what @Falcon29 said, I'm thinking why Canada bought that radar and what is it for? Are they preparing for something that we do not know or have they received funding for that? A missile defense system is acquired by countries who have missiles or have plans of having one. My impression of Canada is a peaceful country and not in need of that.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
A missile defense system is acquired by countries who have missiles or have plans of having one. My impression of Canada is a peaceful country and not in need of that.

Having an air defense system doesn't mean that you have missiles or you're going to have them. The missile defense systems are defensive weapons any country have the right of owning them because they are intended to defend countries against incoming missiles and it doesn't pose a threat to any country. So, yeah Canada is peaceful country .

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
What does Canada need this for? Just giving taxpayer money to Israel since the government is full of right wing Christian nutjobs.

What about the Russian missiles. Don't you think it can reach Canada ?*-^

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Is this radar or the actual iron dome system? I'm thinking it's the system, hence I don't understand what Canada needs it for. It is intended to shoot down homemade projectiles. Canada is not under threat by the US. If they have a threat from Russia north,still this radar doesn't make sense. If they want radar to detect ballistic missiles they should request it from the United States.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I respect their right to have the system. Perhaps they are concerned about world events. Part of any government's job is to promote safety. Anticipating potential attacks and doing whatever is necessary to prevent them is very reasonable. I think it's a good day to be the manufacturer/developer of this type of defensive equipment and technology, since it appears to be lucrative.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA

635738654696520328-rheinmetall-medrange-radar.jpg

OTTAWA — Canada said Wednesday it will purchase missile defense radars modeled after Israel's Iron Dome system from German defense contractor Rheinmetall.

The Canadian Ministry of National Defence put the cost of the 10 medium-range radar systems at CAN $243.3 million (US $187.2 million).

Defence Minister Jason Kenney hailed the deal, saying the technology had proved useful for Israel.

"Much like Israel's successful Iron Dome radar technology, the Medium Range Radar System will be able to instantly track enemy fire aimed at Canadian armed forces personnel and help keep them safe during operations," Kenney said.

The ministry said the radar systems are "capable of detecting hostile indirect fire, locating the position of the enemy weapon and calculating the point of impact of a projectile, as well as simultaneously tracking multiple
airborne threats."

They will be manufactured by Rheinmetall's Canadian branch, which will work alongside ELTA Systems, a subsidiary of Israel Aerospace Industries.

The delivery of the radar systems is expected to begin in 2017.

Canada has become one of Israel's closest allies since the election of Canadian conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2006. Canada was one of the few countries to oppose Palestine's bid for an
upgraded status at the United Nations in 2012.

Rheinmetall also announced Wednesday a contract to provide the Canadian Army with new communications and navigation technology, the modular Integrated Soldier System (ISS), which it said "greatly improves the situational awareness of the individual soldier."

The ISS contract is for four years, and if the qualification phase is approved by the Canadian government, could amount to a second contract worth a total of CAN $250 million, according to a statement from Rheinmetall Canada.

I didn't realize that Canada was under threat of terrorists. I know they had one incident where some whack job started shooting in the Canadian Parliment but other than that Canada seems to be pretty clear of the terrorism incidences that seem to plague the rest of the world. I think the money could have been spent more wisely.

Bunni

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I didn't realize that Canada was under threat of terrorists. I know they had one incident where some whack job started shooting in the Canadian Parliment but other than that Canada seems to be pretty clear of the terrorism incidences that seem to plague the rest of the world. I think the money could have been spent more wisely.

There has been a lot of anti-ISIS sentiment lately within the Canadian government and within the media. I'm in the U.S., so I'm can't speak directly for the people, but there are some that believe that it's spillover from the U.S. and our recent hysteria over the Middle East.