Corruption | World Defense

Corruption

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
No nation on earth is entirely free from corruption. Do you think there is more corruption in the military, or in the politicians?

In my opinion, there is much more corruption among politicians. The military in the U.S. has a long standing tradition of honor. This may not be true love n some other countries though. How do you feel about this?

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Since corruption is a common word over here, I don't think we can classify the people who are corrupt. It can probably be the opportunity in their position or the opportunity being offered to them by people connected to their position. Would you believe that even a messenger in the Customs Bureau is now being investigated for corruption? The question was - how that messenger get to own 3 cars, a big house and a swimming pool resort with hot spring. That certainly calls for an investigation.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The media's access to military affairs is limited which is probably the reason why we never get to hear much about corruption in the military.

Leadership: Corruption In The American Military

The U.S. Army has stopped trying to pretend that growing corruption among their officers does not exist and is not a serious problem. The other services are in a similar situation and are right behind the army in being open about it and seeking solutions.

It is possible therefore that corruption in the military could be pretty bad.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Politicians, definitely. The military's corruption is better regulated. Politicians don't have to answer to anybody regarding their corruption.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Since corruption is a common word over here, I don't think we can classify the people who are corrupt. It can probably be the opportunity in their position or the opportunity being offered to them by people connected to their position. Would you believe that even a messenger in the Customs Bureau is now being investigated for corruption? The question was - how that messenger get to own 3 cars, a big house and a swimming pool resort with hot spring. That certainly calls for an investigation.
Actually this doesn't surprise me that much. Such a position provides plenty of opportunity for someone who has a desire to gain wealth by any means available to fall into some pretty shady business. Glad he got caught though. No one likes it when people get away with taking advantage of others.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
The media's access to military affairs is limited which is probably the reason why we never get to hear much about corruption in the military.

Leadership: Corruption In The American Military

It is possible therefore that corruption in the military could be pretty bad.
You're quite right. I certainly do think it is everywhere to some degree. It is interesting that I haven't heard about it from people I know who have been in the military, which makes me think it is at least limited to the upper ranks, while the lower ranking, non-career military people are still held to higher standards of honor.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Actually this doesn't surprise me that much. Such a position provides plenty of opportunity for someone who has a desire to gain wealth by any means available to fall into some pretty shady business. Glad he got caught though. No one likes it when people get away with taking advantage of others.

There are countless stories of corruption here that will blow your mind. Just yesterday, I saw on TV the senate hearing about the corruption in the medical field, particularly the eye centers who are abusing the Philhealth program. That program extends financial assistance to senior citizens. What those eye centers did was to treat with laser those old people, sometimes up to 4 times a year just to avail of the government financing. It's really terrible.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
You're quite right. I certainly do think it is everywhere to some degree. It is interesting that I haven't heard about it from people I know who have been in the military, which makes me think it is at least limited to the upper ranks, while the lower ranking, non-career military people are still held to higher standards of honor.
The fear of reprisals could be another reason we don't hear a lot about corruption in the military. Considering how much power high ranking military officers wield there'd be no good reason [for anyone who knows something] to endanger the lives of their loved ones to expose the corrupt officers. It's not wroth it if you lose your life in the process. Some of them military suicides are murders. Why would a soldier be killed by one of their own? Possibly because they know something and can't be trusted to keep their mouths shut.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
There are countless stories of corruption here that will blow your mind. Just yesterday, I saw on TV the senate hearing about the corruption in the medical field, particularly the eye centers who are abusing the Philhealth program. That program extends financial assistance to senior citizens. What those eye centers did was to treat with laser those old people, sometimes up to 4 times a year just to avail of the government financing. It's really terrible.
what happens if the eye centers do that?

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
what happens if the eye centers do that?

It is obvious that those eye centers were scamming the government and right now those eye centers are still operating but the government's payment is withheld until further investigation. If the media will continue watching the issue, I guess those eye centers will be closed and those ophthalmologists will be jailed. But without the support of media, the issue will die a natural death... i.e. forgotten by the public, forgiven by the government.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
if its anything like the US, you won't be able to count on the media to stay on top of it. As soon as something happens that they think will sell pictures, Like Justin Beiber's bare butt pic, they're gone.

heavyinfantry

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Italy
I think that in both situation you mentioned, politics and military, the corruption is a relevant problem that should be fought everywhen but I guess that in the politics, especially in some countries, the problem is more present than in the army and this is due to the fact of some sort of discipline and codes that are present in the armym.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Good point, @joshposh
The politicians are calling the shots. The military do hat they're told. Its kind of their thing to follow orders.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA

This happens a lot here with Medicare and particularly, Medicaid providers. The worst doctors and dentists seem to be attracted to the sure money provided by the government, rather than having to find patients on their own, and they often not only overbill, but as @Corzhens stated, over treat the patients, with no regard for their health, or the necessity for the procedures. As a result, the government ends up cracking down on expenditures, which makes it more difficult for those on the programs, to get the services they need. This is the case with the crackdown on durable medical devices, since there's been so much fraud related to wheelchairs and scooters.