Could the people stand a chance against the military? | World Defense

Could the people stand a chance against the military?

Mackmax

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I know that back in the 1800s and such, many people owned guns and were a part of a militia. I was taught in school that the Civil War was fought by militias that consisted of ordinary citizens, not the military. I know that the Civil War took place because the people were fed up, and I know that there are other countries where the people are fed up with their government and are in a war with them as well.
So my question is do you think that the American citizens of today could stand a chance in a war against our military? This includes all of the citizens with guns, retired soldiers, and those who have bomb-making skills and outstanding computer and network hacking skills.

kd3pc

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
Having the will is but one piece of the BIG system, needed to fight a war today.

There is no way possible that a loosely organized group of American citizens could do anything in a war against "our" military. The stuff you read about the military today, is what they have had for decades. What they have today is a closely held secret, but you can bet it is more advanced and easier deployed than the force of 10 years ago. Besides most citizens can not go 24 hours with ANY discomfort, let alone the pains that those who have fought previous wars, endured for years.

The military has ALL components of war locked up and they can be used offensively and defensively - As needed, where needed. By that I mean they hold command and control of the North American airspace, they have bases and troops deployed in every state, they can jam, monitor, observe, hack and create almost any type of communication available to civilians. They hold an arsenal of weaponry and munitions. All that before you get to strategic, pulse, and high tech weapons. They control all military aircraft and naval assets.

Not likely. But feel free to test them, or hack their systems.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I agree with kd3c. The people don't stand a chance against the military. Should there be a civil war then any militias will be wiped out swiftly. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean that civilians/militias can't inflict heavy losses on the armed forces. Combat conducted in towns and cities can go either way if the militias have enough ammo to see them through the war.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
There is no way possible that a loosely organized group of American citizens could do anything in a war against "our" military. The stuff you read about the military today, is what they have had for decades. What they have today is a closely held secret, but you can bet it is more advanced and easier deployed than the force of 10 years ago. Besides most citizens can not go 24 hours with ANY discomfort, let alone the pains that those who have fought previous wars, endured for years.

Vietnam and Afghanistan proves you wrong. The American revolution proves you wrong. You do not have to defeat a stronger military, just make the victory too expensive for the occupying army. Great Britain could have crushed the American revolutionaries but the effort was not worth the cost.

In the case of a modern American revolution or civil war, the military might refuse to fight civilians. This is what happened during the Russian revolution. One Russian unit refused to fire on civilians and mutinied. Then the mutiny started to spread to other military units.

In Afghanistan and Iraq the enemy has primitive weapons and are still managing to put up a resistance. When you have to drop millions of dollars worth of bombs to kill one guy with an AK-47 you will lose the war.

That is why USA needs to rethink its foreign polocy big time.

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I know that back in the 1800s and such, many people owned guns and were a part of a militia. I was taught in school that the Civil War was fought by militias that consisted of ordinary citizens, not the military. I know that the Civil War took place because the people were fed up, and I know that there are other countries where the people are fed up with their government and are in a war with them as well.
So my question is do you think that the American citizens of today could stand a chance in a war against our military? This includes all of the citizens with guns, retired soldiers, and those who have bomb-making skills and outstanding computer and network hacking skills.

I don't think the military would stand a chance against the American people. The reason for this is that when it comes to the people they are greater in number than the army. The ordinary citizens also have hackers amongst them that can jamb the military communication systems thereby crippling their means to communicate effectively.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
No chance against the military. Unlike the historic wars, the military has advance warfare and technology while people most likely have licence issued guns. Good luck with 100 shotguns against 1 MiG.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
I honestly do not believe that they can stand the slightest chance. Back then the equipment that the military had was not as powerful. One of the greatest fears that most nations have is if the military decided to take over the government. They would do it in a heartbeat. Military are trained machinery that can subdue the citizens without much force from their side. It is something to be thankful about when you wake up in the corner of your world and there is peace. No greater gift than that.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
For any direct conflict, the gap between the public and the military in technology and equipment is just too wide. However, if the public were so inclined, they could make it costly for any military force fighting them with guerrilla and unconventional tactics. Although there may be incredibly high casualty numbers on the citizen's side, with enough will the public can wear away at the military's morale.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Nope, maybe back when the weapons were similar and easily produced. Today military equipment is vastly superior to what is available to the common man. Even with the semi-military equipment that various police organizations around the country have there wouldn't be much chance. That equipment is focused on crowd control and intimidation rather that actual combat engagement.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I don't think the military would stand a chance against the American people. The reason for this is that when it comes to the people they are greater in number than the army. The ordinary citizens also have hackers amongst them that can jamb the military communication systems thereby crippling their means to communicate effectively.

Are you kidding me! The people will not stand a chance against the military. Use the formula of Probability to figure that out.

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
No. Not a bit. Our only hope would be that a better than good portion of the military would side with the people; and I know there are people who think that would happen, but I wouldn't count on it.
I have wondered, though, should the American people give up when they know they don't have a chance? Or give it whatever they've got because maybe they have nothing to lose.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Blood is thicker than water and that sort of thing. No one will stand by and let their families and friends be killed just because they are in the military. This why there will be desertions or mutinies. Go drop a bomb in your hometown? No airforce pilot will do that. Should it come to that, the end result would be a civil war that never ends.

littlexchelsea

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
As bad as this sounds, no. The US military has highly trained individuals that have years of training, while most of the American's today don't know how to shoot a gun! Hopefully the military doesn't try anything like this anytime soon.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Yes, but it's really going to take a lot of people, about the whole people of the country, and not just a majority of them, of only about 60%. It's really going to take a lot of people who should have a strong passion and commitment. Not just people who want to be there.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think so. With the U.S. military in possession of several high-powered tanks, drones, fighter planes, war ships and nuclear weapons, how exactly can ordinary citizens with no working knowledge of warfare beat them? Perhaps if all the non-military geniuses huddle together and formulate a set of winning strategies for all civilians to follow, then they may stand a chance. WOW, LOL, StarCraft and all other gamers are most welcome too. This is their chance to put to use whatever tactics they learned playing those games.

Last edited: