Could the people stand a chance against the military? | Page 2 | World Defense

Could the people stand a chance against the military?

xHysteria

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Australia
I've been reading up on the military for a while now, and the US military are efficient and very organized. I think that a group of US citizens would not stand a chance what so ever. As if they have the experience as a military solider.

mizrael

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Canada
I think citizens could wreak havoc with a form of guerrilla warfare and propaganda techniques, but it's unrealistic to think they could take on an army and be victorious, a major Army has too much at their disposal, they have better weapons at their disposal, they can throw a lot of bodies into a war easily, their technology is far more superior, and they have better tacticians who understand the psychology of war. A major Army like the states or Russia has tacticians who specialize in area such as military strategies, propaganda, brainwashing and military geographics. It would be a slaughter for the general public. In a country that's under developed the general public would have a better chance because the Army is not as organized.

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
But what about the fact that US military is mostly volunteer based? Do you guys seriously think that members of the military would actually kill the citizens they have been sworn to protect?

I think if a situation arose where a large percentage of the population is truly angry with the government and takes up arms against it, there would be many serving members of the military joining their ranks. Sabotage - through equipment theft and destruction - could even things out quite a bit.

sillylucy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Sadly, people would lose to our military. They now have chemical warfare that they could use and there are so many more troops today than there was before. I don't think we would stand a chance! They now have helicopters and advanced ways of communicating. All we have is twitter and a few guns!

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
American citizens would definitely not be able to rack up against the military, there are several reasons for this. Firstly, even though a lot of citizens might own a gun for themselves, that doesn't mean that they are necessarily skilled in using it, whereas military personnel are of course highly trained in that manner. Secondly, the shear advanced capabilities of the military, are far too much for citizens to handle, whether that be in the form of advanced weaponry or jets. Thirdly, the US army spends more than then next ten biggest spending countries in the world, combined. That's an indicator of how much they invest in the army, and how little of chance a citizen militia/army would stand.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
I don't think they would have a hope in hell! The era of the Civil War and the principle of the right to bear arms doesn't align with where the world is now. The military is too well armed, too sophisticated, too well trained and so on, to lose out to a militia. It would be a guerrilla movement that wouldn't be able to gather much momentum, in my view.

Zeroneverends

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
The use of Guerrilla warfare can enable a smaller disadvantaged group to outcome a vastly superior force. Incidences of this has occurred in Vietnam, Afghanistan, The American Revolution, and American Civil War. The United States has a large amount of military trained individuals due to our history of warfare. In addition we have vast amount of small arms in the United States. It is quite possible that civilians could stand a chance.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
I read some comments that stated the citizens can win over the military. And others said they hope nothing like this will happen soon in America. Are you out of your minds? People will get stomped over by the military (if they do not disintegrate from the mass desertions). Also, this will NOT happen anytime. This is not some mad max movie or guerrilla warfare where the army just decides to erase the population.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
Having the will is but one piece of the BIG system, needed to fight a war today.

There is no way possible that a loosely organized group of American citizens could do anything in a war against "our" military. The stuff you read about the military today, is what they have had for decades. What they have today is a closely held secret, but you can bet it is more advanced and easier deployed than the force of 10 years ago. Besides most citizens can not go 24 hours with ANY discomfort, let alone the pains that those who have fought previous wars, endured for years.

The military has ALL components of war locked up and they can be used offensively and defensively - As needed, where needed. By that I mean they hold command and control of the North American airspace, they have bases and troops deployed in every state, they can jam, monitor, observe, hack and create almost any type of communication available to civilians. They hold an arsenal of weaponry and munitions. All that before you get to strategic, pulse, and high tech weapons. They control all military aircraft and naval assets.

Not likely. But feel free to test them, or hack their systems.
All of that is true but the people still have the power, if we could just wake up. What's going to happen when people that are currently in the military start to see this country for what it really is? The Government works for the people, but we tend to forget that part of the deal. Anything is possible but the bottom line is that the people can't break away from this system, mainly because they don't want to but, they are fully capable (enough of us anyway)

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
No, the military would wipe everyday ordinary citizens out if they wanted to. Thankfully we don't live in a military dictatorship so thats not likely to happen. They just have weapons available to them that we cant even comprehend.

Zeroneverends

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
The citizens comprise the military. We are the people that assemble and repair the war machines. Any Marine can field strip the M16-A2 in 60 seconds or less. In the film saving Private Ryan they created the "sticky bomb" near the end of the film. Now that creation does not save them from having a awful casualty rate, however they did achieve the mission. Nearly all military is trained like that. Any prior military knows how to improvise and adapt to a given situation and overcome. I will admit it is an uphill battle.
Also, the federal government will use the military against the citizens. It has happened many times. One of interest is Blair Mountain, where coal miners where fighting to unionize. The feds threaten to use force and was ready to do so. Kent State would be another example. Yet another example can be found here:
Bonus Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

newb3ginnings

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I think it would be a tough battle. Yes, the military does have a strong advantage right now. But if public support of the government got to the point where there was another revolution, then I think it could be possible for the people to win. IF the people were to use guerrilla tactics effectively, and IF enough soldiers went AWOL to protect their families rather than fighting the citizens, then they might have a chance.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
I think that would depend on a few factors. One, the people. Two, the reason. Three, the place. Here is why.

Lets say a country (any country) were to try and attack the US directly. Our military is gone so only the people are the defense. I don't care how big your army is, you will fail. The reason is.... one, we know our home better then you do. Two, 2/3rds (could be off on this estimate) of the population of the US is armed. Three, we are defending our home ("Because for them, this is just a place. But for us, this is our home" ~ Red Dawn) not invading a foreign land so we would fight harder (and dirtier) then the invading country.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
I don't think the military would stand a chance against the American people. The reason for this is that when it comes to the people they are greater in number than the army. The ordinary citizens also have hackers amongst them that can jamb the military communication systems thereby crippling their means to communicate effectively.

Modern drones and missles can automatically lock onto and attack electronic signals. This is how the US is killing guys like the Taliban. A Taliban guy uses his cellphone, then 3 minutes later he has a hellfire missle launched from a drone coming down on him. Drones are also outfitted with facial recognition, so they can track people, and look for suspicious activity.

Civilians versus a well equipped military is like cavemen throwing rocks at a man with a rifle. The guy with the rifle shoots them before they even can come close.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Modern drones and missles can automatically lock onto and attack electronic signals. This is how the US is killing guys like the Taliban. A Taliban guy uses his cellphone, then 3 minutes later he has a hellfire missle launched from a drone coming down on him. Drones are also outfitted with facial recognition, so they can track people, and look for suspicious activity.

Civilians versus a well equipped military is like cavemen throwing rocks at a man with a rifle. The guy with the rifle shoots them before they even can come close.

Never under estimate the power of the people. It would not be easy, I give you that.... but I guarantee that if the people were to go up in arms.... they have a stronger chance of winning then the military. Anger is a powerful ally.