Deadly attack hits mosque in eastern Saudi Arabia

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Deadly attack hits mosque in eastern Saudi Arabia
8c0139a6-413a-4b6e-84fc-5240ade3e1bc_16x9_788x442.jpg

Pictures shared on social media purport to show people running away from the mosque attack. (Al Arabiya)

Text size A A A
Staff writer, Al Arabiya News Friday, 29 January 2016
At least two people have been killed after a suicide bomber attacked a mosque in Saudi Arabia's eastern governate of al-Ahsa on Friday, a Saudi interior ministry spokesman said.

Saudi authorities prevented two suicide bombers from entering Imam Rida Mosque in Mahasen neighborhood in al-Ahsa region during Friday prayers, the state-owned Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported, citing a statement by the ministry's spokesman.

"When security men stopped them, one blew himself up at the entrance of the mosque and there was an exchange of fire with the other. He was wounded and arrested wearing an explosive belt," the spokesman said.

At least seven people were injured in Friday's attack, he added.

Residents said security forces were exchanging gunfire with five suspects.

Eastern regions of Saudi Arabia have been on alert after ISIS claimed two attacks Shia mosques last year.

In August, a suicide bomber killed at least 15 people in an attack on a mosque used by members of a local security force in southwest Saudi Arabia. In May, a suicide bomber blew himself up during Friday prayers at a mosque in the village of al-Qadeeh in eastern Saudi Arabia, killing at least 21 and wounding 81 others.

Last Update: Friday, 29 January 2016 KSA 15:03 - GMT 12:03
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2016/01/29/Deadly-attack-hits-mosque-in-Saudi-s-al-Hasa.html

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
RIP. Its either ISIS or Iranian agents.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
My condolences with the families of those who died in this attack. Its just terrible to see what is happening in the middle east, between Saudi and Iran.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Tsk, tsk, all I can do is shake my head on items like this. It seems that peace-loving people have no defense against those suicide bombers. With this report, one of the terrorists was about to be stopped so he blew himself up. How can you defend yourself from that act? And how can you prevent that act? I see those suicide bombers as robots who are controlled by their religious passion not even knowing if what they believe in is true. As I always say, there is no solid proof of heaven and the life beyond is just a traditional speculation. So why die for your religion?

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Tsk, tsk, all I can do is shake my head on items like this. It seems that peace-loving people have no defense against those suicide bombers. With this report, one of the terrorists was about to be stopped so he blew himself up. How can you defend yourself from that act? And how can you prevent that act? I see those suicide bombers as robots who are controlled by their religious passion not even knowing if what they believe in is true. As I always say, there is no solid proof of heaven and the life beyond is just a traditional speculation. So why die for your religion?

Not really about religion anymore, think about it as a very serious ethnic tension. Historically Arab Muslims controlled these places after a war with Persian Empire. Now Iran is trying to take these places back but not directly, rather by influencing Shia Muslims. So Sunni Arabs are trying to prevent that by influencing Sunni Muslims.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Not really about religion anymore, think about it as a very serious ethnic tension. Historically Arab Muslims controlled these places after a war with Persian Empire. Now Iran is trying to take these places back but not directly, rather by influencing Shia Muslims. So Sunni Arabs are trying to prevent that by influencing Sunni Muslims.

You are right. Now I realize that what's happening in the region is more of a tribal warfare. However, their religious sect (Shia and Sunni) are being dragged and somewhat being used in their bickering. The execution by Saudi Arabia of a popular Shia cleric had ignited the passion of Iranian Shia and the protest rallies even made the tension hotter.

But I think those terrorist attack by suicide bombers is a different thing, scary.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
People think the war in the Middle East is between Christians and Muslims but what happened in that Saudi mosque proves that even Muslims couldn't agree with their own kind. Sunnis and Shiites obviously have a beef to settle with each other and they're still at it. The bombers could, as aforementioned, be members of ISIS or factions with no other goal but to cause havoc.