Deadly Explosions in Tianjin, China | World Defense

Deadly Explosions in Tianjin, China

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I haven't seen an explanation or source listed, but there were apparently at least two large explosions, within seconds of one another, and other subsequent smaller explosions, possibly as a result of chemicals from the first two blasts. One picture shows a mushroom cloud. The stories I've read state that hundreds of people have been injured. Deadly Explosion Erupts on Camera | abc13.com

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
@BLACKEAGLE I'm really interested to hear more about the source/cause of these blasts. I live fairly close to a port, and there are always dangerous chemicals and other hazards, so we're always on alert for explosions. There was one nearby after I moved here, but nothing like the ones in this story. Wow, those videos you posted are incredible, especially the first two. That must have been terrifying for the people filming them.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
@BLACKEAGLE I'm really interested to hear more about the source/cause of these blasts. I live fairly close to a port, and there are always dangerous chemicals and other hazards, so we're always on alert for explosions. There was one nearby after I moved here, but nothing like the ones in this story. Wow, those videos you posted are incredible, especially the first two. That must have been terrifying for the people filming them.
Blast Rocks Chinese City of Tianjin, At Least 13 Reported Killed - NBC News

It's just an accident, so you don't have to worry. In one of the videos the Chinese guy was like "holy cow!" lol.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Saw this on the news this evening. The footage is just incredible the way the blast goes up into the night sky and the way the people recording the footage are knocked around by the shockwave. ITN news are stating it was an explosion on a ship carrying munitions that was in dock.

Last edited:

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I hope no one was seriously injured or last their life in those explosions. China is after all the world's workshop and they can't afford any disruptions to their manufacturing industries.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
13 dead.

32 critically injured.

More than 400 injured.

The blasts were the result of chemicals of chemicals stored in a warehouse exploding. Why they exploded is something which is yet to be established.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I think that was what's in the news yesterday (or the other day) that I failed to catch the whole story. From what I gathered, the explosion was in a manufacturing area and probably an accident. I guess it is far from a nuclear explosion nor any other bomb because the Chinese are more engrossed on their profitable businesses (factories) than in attending to war issues.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
13 dead.

32 critically injured.

More than 400 injured.

The blasts were the result of chemicals of chemicals stored in a warehouse exploding. Why they exploded is something which is yet to be established.

Wonder why ITN was saying it was a ship with munitions? Early reports probably..

I've seen some pictures of the area around the factory where the blast took place and there is a group of apartment complexes only a few blocks away. From the sheer size of the blast I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the death toll rise.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
It seems these days, individuals and news stations rush to report, often incorrectly, in their attempt to be the first one on the scene or to report incidents such as this one. I've seen several different versions. The last one stated that the Chinese government was investigating to determine whether the explosions were on purpose, or accidental. Apparently emergency responders were delayed, because they weren't aware which types of chemicals were being stored in the buildings.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Death toll from Tianjin, China, explosions over 100 - CNN.com

What caused the blasts?

Fire officials said hazardous chemicals stored at the warehouse were ignited by fire. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

Executives from Rui Hai International Logistics Co., the company that owned the warehouse, have been taken into custody, state media reported Thursday.

Lei Jinde, an official from the Chinese Public Security Ministry's firefighting bureau, told thepaper.cn, a Shanghai-based newspaper, in a telephone interview that the first team of firefighters used water in an attempt to contain the fire. It was necessary to cool the blaze, he said, according to a CNN translation.

But water isn't the best fire suppressant for some chemicals.

Calcium carbide reacts with water to form acetylene, which can catch fire.

"We knew there was calcium carbide inside, but no one had knowledge if it was exploding or on fire," Lei said. "It's not that the firefighters were stupid that they would still use water after knowing there was calcium carbide. I didn't mean that. We absolutely can't say it was wrong to use water."

Authorities in Tianjin appeared to have been concerned recently about the handling of hazardous materials at the port.

A notice posted by the Tianjin Administration of Work Safety on its website last week said city officials held a meeting with executives of more than 20 companies that handle dangerous chemicals at the port.

How many lives did the explosions claim?

Of those confirmed dead, 21 were firefighters. Many people are still missing, including dozens of employees of the company that owned the warehouse, according to the Xinhua news agency.

One firefighter was rescued from the rubble Friday, Xinhua reported.

One of killed firefighters was recovered at the rescue scene, and about a dozen other firefighters flanked and stood over the covered body in a solemn ceremony, according to CCTV.

The comrades took off their helmets and bowed four times in a moment of reverence at the rubble-strewn site, according to footage by China Central Television, the nation's largest national broadcasting network.

Some of the firefighters carried the body away on a stretcher, and the remainder saluted as the body passed by, the network footage showed.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
I haven't seen an explanation or source listed, but there were apparently at least two large explosions, within seconds of one another, and other subsequent smaller explosions, possibly as a result of chemicals from the first two blasts. One picture shows a mushroom cloud. The stories I've read state that hundreds of people have been injured. Deadly Explosion Erupts on Camera | abc13.com
I saw that on the news. I wonder what caused it. It seemed like the Chinese wanted to hush it all up. Suprise, suprise. It is just one of the things that doesn't seem to have a good explantation and something we are not likely to hear about/ We will never have a full explanation of what happened.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I had seen the CNN report just a while ago (while I was having an early lunch), it showed footages taken by a field reporter who was being interviewed by the anchor. The video saw a cop blocking the camera with his hand. The reporter said China is censoring the news about the explosion that h ad killed 112 people now and with a crater as large as 2 buildings. What do I make of it? Consider that Tianjin is a port city, huh.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I'm sure the government wasn't happy about the videos being viewed around the world, if they're trying to cover something up. Unfortunately, they seem reticent to divulge information, so it will probably never be known what actually caused the blasts, or whether they were accidental or purposeful. Other than the injuries, death, and damage, what is obvious is that the government doesn't monitor closely enough where and how toxic chemicals are stored, nor have plans in effect to manage any potential problems that may arise.