Do you think NATO should get involved in the Ukraine crisis? | World Defense

Do you think NATO should get involved in the Ukraine crisis?

Should NATO get involved in the Ukraine crisis?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only Diplomatically

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
With the situation in Ukraine getting more heated again, and the real threat of an all out war between Ukraine and Russia become more real every day, should NATO get involved militarily?

I think diplomatic sanctions can be effective, but they appear to have thus far not really done much to Russia's mindset and plan [whatever it may be]. I also think the threat to NATO member countries grows daily. Even though it may not seem like the best thing to do, I would want to have some sort of military activity within Ukraine, or at least speed up NATO's acceptance of Ukraine.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think that it will be a strategic move to involve their armies and politically. I think it'd be best if they wouldn't care at all and wait for the two countries to settle it, because any move by them in favour of the Ukraine will only provoke Russia to take serious actions legally speaking relative to their laws. Russia rarely cares about the international community, so you couldn't expect them to be amenable with the laws formulated outside their sovereign to be applied in their country. Also, any back to Ukraine from the international will be taken by Russians to be against them. They wouldn't really fear, but they'd rather instead see it as an attack. Russia sees differently.

MrDan89

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
NATO should get involved in some capacity. We can't continue to let Russia bully the rest of the EU like this! I can't agree with you at all '003', the least you would expect NATO to do is police this situation, get eyes and boots on the ground to monitor the situation and prevent Russia from bullying the Ukraine. NATO doesn't have to be directly involved with combat, it can be used as a police
force as well!

What do you think?

sillylucy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I am surprised that NATO hasn't stuck its nose in this already. It makes me wonder why they have let this go on for so long without getting right in the middle of it. It makes you wonder what they have invested in all of this.

Zeroneverends

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I believe at this time NATO should stay out of this situation militarily, however if it should escalate then effective measures should be taken. I believe NATO could involve itself as far as attempting to stabilize the area and bring about some peace.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I actually posted a similar thread but with a scenario of the Russian army being near Kiev, the capital city.
I don't see NATO intervening in the conflict for a while if at all. Few people in this day and age want to go to war, especially when the adversary is Russia who is a powerful opponent. There is always the risk of either side deploying nuclear weapons and noone wants mutually assured destruction. Very unlikely for NATO to intervene under these circumstances unless Russia invades a NATO member.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
They won't intervene with troops as this raises the risk of Russia deploying the army as well. Then it will be a real issue.

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
So what could they do?

I think helping get the Ukrainian army into shape via some strategic and logistics guidance would be a good start. I think the US might already be doing that in some regard. Based on previous blunders, it looks like Ukraine's lack of focus on their military in the last 20 years is coming around to make the last year extremely difficult.

haitch

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
If Russia is allowed to take Ukraine aggressively then we will see a repeat of pre WW2 where the league of nations rewarded aggression by letting Russia get away with taking over another country without being provoked. overall it is a difficult situation with Russia being a fairly powerful country and the fact that Ukraine is not in fact part of NATO.

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
If Russia is allowed to take Ukraine aggressively then we will see a repeat of pre WW2 where the league of nations rewarded aggression by letting Russia get away with taking over another country without being provoked. overall it is a difficult situation with Russia being a fairly powerful country and the fact that Ukraine is not in fact part of NATO.

I agree - Ukraine is in a really, really hard place. Both sides want it for obvious strategic reasons, and it looks like the current Ukrainian Gov't wants to join the West. I wonder if Russia will be able to continue playing it smart.

elmarianexx

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Netherlands Antilles
I live really near Ukraine and Russia because in Poland and this whole crisis is driving me instance.
Everyday when I watch the daily news in the evening they keep on talking about it.
I think that this should come up this a final solution because it's been like a year now. I'm sick of it, by now. :(

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I say let the rightful government in Ukraine decide if they want help from NATO and if so then I believe they should get involved. Russia has been supplying the forces loyal to them with weapons and other supplies plus they have committed international crimes when they shot down the passenger jet plane.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Nope. A full scale military intervention is out of the question for obvious reasons and sending in advisers etc could easily lead to a situation similar to what Vietnam was... two big countries supporting the different sides fighting.

Economical and political sanctions are the way to go, Russia is already in a lot of economic trouble so the west can and will use that to their advantage.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I think they should let the whole conflict play out without interference.

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
Their decision may be the most important one, because it can mean a very important event in history. Right now, I think NATO is trying not to get involved, because they know that Russia would feel threatened about their possible intervention.