Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
7a68d588de7042108c22f9ca0a35dfad89490a181a4c2f91eb9d9c74c9c9d2a2.jpg

Photo : AFP

France has promised a 20-minute armed response to terror attacks anywhere in the country by ending the traditional rivalries between the paramilitary and traditional police SWAT teams.

France's interior minister on Tuesday urged the country's elite police forces to end their traditional rivalries following November's jihadist attacks on Paris that claimed 130 lives.

"The time is over for rivalry among forces, it's time for unity," Bernard Cazeneuve told members of the GIGN paramilitary police, an elite RAID unit of the national police and the BRI anti-gang brigade of the Paris police.

"In the face of enemies who are determined to attack us while causing the most damage possible, with no desire to negotiate and whose own deaths are part of their philosophy and strategy, we need effective forces... working together towards the same goals," Cazeneuve said.

Rivalry among the three forces has been known to complicate operations as well as investigations.

The traditional areas of operation -- GIGN elite unit of the gendarmes in rural areas, RAID unit of police in urban centres, plus the BRI in Paris -- will be waived during serious crises or major attacks, Cazeneuve said.

"In the event of mass killings, it's in the first minutes that the terrorists claim the greatest number of victims," Cazeneuve said. "So we must react as quickly as possible, as well as anticipating such an attack."

The measures will ensure a minimum 20-minute response to attacks on towns and cities anywhere in France, he said.

"In a crisis our citizens expect faultless collaboration at all times," Cazeneuve told a news conference. "It's no time for competition between forces, but rather for unity, pooling resources and cooperating in our common interest."

To achieve the 20-minute response time Cazeneuve announced that new branches of GIGN and RAID will be set up around the country and BRI's 100-strong staff will be doubled.

The reforms were to stand their first test later Tuesday with a joint exercise at the Montparnasse rail station in Paris.

France vows 20-minute armed response to terror attacks - The Local

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
That should have happened long ago. In the UAE, police and emergency forces are two different department. That is also the case in the all GCC states. Terrorists and terror attacks are always dealt with by the emergency forces but that also doesn't exclude communication with other department such as Police/law enforcement. Good that France is showing full readiness in such a short period of time.

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
After the Paris incident, they have no choice but the promise something like this.
If they didn't release this statement and something else happened, the current part in power would not last another election.
I wonder if they will be able to secure logistics for a 20 minute response everywhere in France or will they work on most probable targets......hopefully we won't find out

Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
That should have happened long ago. In the UAE, police and emergency forces are two different department. That is also the case in the all GCC states. Terrorists and terror attacks are always dealt with by the emergency forces but that also doesn't exclude communication with other department such as Police/law enforcement. Good that France is showing full readiness in such a short period of time.

Today,there was an exercise involving several special forces such as the GIGN,BRI and RAID,to coordinate operations in case of another terrorist attack and otage situations.
Before,the GIGN couldn't intervene (just like the Gendarmerie officers) in Police areas and the Police in Gendarmerie areas. In case of extreme emergency,this shouldn't be important.

After the Paris incident, they have no choice but the promise something like this.
If they didn't release this statement and something else happened, the current part in power would not last another election.
I wonder if they will be able to secure logistics for a 20 minute response everywhere in France or will they work on most probable targets......hopefully we won't find out

Several branches of SWAT teams will be created across the country,in several cities and rural areas to cover all the territory and give an armed response within 20 minutes. (Helicopters could be used to transport the operatives.)
-
@Zepplin Do you live in UK right ? Imagine if there was an attack in say,cities like Liverpool or Manchester,how would the first cops that arrive at the scene contain the terrorists ?
How many minutes would it take for armed officers,let alone specialized units to reach the area ?

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Today,there was an exercise involving several special forces such as the GIGN,BRI and RAID,to coordinate operations in case of another terrorist attack and otage situations.
Before,the GIGN couldn't intervene (just like the Gendarmerie officers) in Police areas and the Police in Gendarmerie areas. In case of extreme emergency,this shouldn't be important.

Several branches of SWAT teams will be created across the country,in several cities and rural areas to cover all the territory and give an armed response within 20 minutes. (Helicopters could be used to transport the operatives.)
-
@Zepplin Do you live in UK right ? Imagine if there was an attack in say,cities like Liverpool or Manchester,how would the first cops that arrive at the scene contain the terrorists ?
How many minutes would it take for armed officers,let alone specialized units to reach the area ?

HI @Gabriel92,
Yes, I live in the UK.
I think it is a great initiative to be able to respond quickly, don't get me wrong.

Our standard unarmed police may not be a lot of good, more are becoming armed though (at least with taser guns, which may not be ideal against someone weilding a gun).

If someone was reported as being armed, I assume that armed response would be sent not unarmed.
If there was a hostage situation, then past events show that SAS would be used for negotiations wern't working.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
This reminds me of the tv series SWAT in the olden days when the cops would respond to the crime scene in 5 minutes and swiftly capture the criminals. When the Philippines organized their own SWAT (we still have it until now), the public was very expectant that our SWAT was like that one on tv. And in the first occasions of rescue and attack, they were successful. But in the succeeding occasions, the lack of training showed when some hostages were killed and even some SWAT team added to the casualty.

I hope that the 20-minute response time of the French SWAT would be true to their word so terrorists would somehow be deterred.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Unfortunately, I think this is an important step that every country needs to take in this current climate of terrorism. As far as I know, here in the U.S., the initial response is still the local police and most likely county sheriff's office, then the state police, and ultimately, if it's determined that terrorism was involved, the federal authorities.

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
It is a very important step. Losing 130 lives and injuring many others with broken-hearted loved ones is a tragedy that should never have been allowed. It hurts even more when you allow a tragedy like this to open your eyes to how intelligence really works. I don;t think France was too relax. maybe they were too focused on the wrong things like strife between forces. A lesson well learnt.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
At a time like this and the imminent danger that countries are under from these kind of attacks, it's surprising to me that these sort of preparations haven't been in place for a while now in most countries in Europe.

I'm not saying that the fact they weren't contributed to the Paris attacks by the way, I'm just shocked they weren't in place before as the warnings had been coming for a long time

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think some populations would be up in arms if they thought their government was setting up a millitarised response setup like this.
The people can be won over though if it is a solution to their fears.
All in the timing

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I sincerely hope were not going down the route of 'the government are just using the threat of terrorism as a way to justify using the military against its own people' conspiracy type of theory?

Next we'll be saying that it wasn't IS at all that's committed the latest terrorist acts, but our own governments that's been doing it. Then again that's already 'a thing' if you talk to some people regarding 9/11...

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I sincerely hope were not going down the route of 'the government are just using the threat of terrorism as a way to justify using the military against its own people' conspiracy type of theory?

Next we'll be saying that it wasn't IS at all that's committed the latest terrorist acts, but our own governments that's been doing it. Then again that's already 'a thing' if you talk to some people regarding 9/11...

Not at all.
I just think that the media would have jumped on a government for "arming up" and that would have reflected in the polls.
Look at the stories from the US where a sherrif's department was attacked by the media for purchasing armoured vehicles and higher calibre weapons.
Governments have to wait until the people will back them on an idea before they can roll it out if they don't want to lose power come next polling day.

I don't believe these latest events are false flag attacks

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I actually think the opposite,,and especially here in the UK, nearly everyone I've spoken to want the government to bolster our national security, and if that means arming the police, or placing soldiers around towns and cities, then so be it.

We'd rather pay taxes to something that we can see, than pay them and get told they're being given to the CEO of a bank so he can pay himself another bonus anyway, put it that way!

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I actually think the opposite,,and especially here in the UK, nearly everyone I've spoken to want the government to bolster our national security, and if that means arming the police, or placing soldiers around towns and cities, then so be it.

We'd rather pay taxes to something that we can see, than pay them and get told they're being given to the CEO of a bank so he can pay himself another bonus anyway, put it that way!

I agree with you 100%

I think our police should be armed with more than just a taser. They don't deserve to have to do the job they do with the limited tools they have, let alone the added cuts going on.

With our strict gun laws, I'm sure British police would be relunctant to use their guns as it is unlikely that a criminal would be armed as such. But they should stilll have them :)

OursIsTheFury

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
Violence turns to even more violence. This cycle will not stop until all of humanity is just a pile of bones and ashes. Retaliation, justice, defense; these are all being thrown out there when it comes to counterattacking radicalists, but at the end of the day, they have already won, because they incited bloodlust among its victims.