Genetic Weapons? | World Defense

Genetic Weapons?

John Snort

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Egypt
It could seem like something futuristic but versions of these weapons have been used in the past:
In Nepal, its rulers maintained a malaria-infected Terai forest as natural barrier against invaders from the Ganges Plains. Natives of Terai have natural resistance to malaria, while the invaders didn't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_bioweapon
Either we already have weapons that can be used against particular ethnic groups or these weapons or gene bombs aren't too far off.
In 2005 the official view of the International Committee of the Red Cross was "The potential to target a particular ethnic group with a biological agent is probably not far off.
Such weapons are completely harmless to everyone else except those who are specifically targeted.
In 2012, The Atlantic wrote that a specific virus that targets individuals with a specific DNA sequence is within possibility in the near future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_bioweapon

In 1998, rumors had it that Israel had been trying to create an ethno-bomb that would be used against Arabs. The rumor was proved to be false but with the advances made in genetics I believe that it's entirely possible for such genetic weapons to be built.

Would these weapons be worse than nukes? Unless the genetic engineers who make these weapons are locked away for life what's to stop them from making and using such weapons against people they hate?

Jason76

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I suppose the idea of mutually assured destruction would factor itself into this situation, much as it does with nuclear weapons. If one group starts up a genetic weapon, then they have to expect they might get one in return. However, not all human groups have an adequate supply of scientists. In that case, the stronger nations would be more dangerous in regards to genetic weapons.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
It is a far fetched idea that a country can develop genetic bombs. The threat of these weapons is more psychological than physical. Even present day biological weapons are tedious and technologically challenging to deliver. At bottom, below the skin, scientists have found that the human race is strikingly similar and the difference from one person to the other is pitiably miniscule. Such a bomb would need no modification for a targeted enemy to hit back in kind anyday.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
It may not be far-fetched that weapons targeting certain ethnic groups have been tried or being currently being developed. The main consideration is if the weapons will bring the desired results. There is a belief that AIDS was developed to target certain social groups. However, instead of it been as effective as was intended, it managed to create a crisis situation.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
I have heard of such term a long time ago. It is a form of advanced biological weapon with specific targets. While I believe it might initially work against the intended target, what if it mutates? All the viruses would mutate. Think about how many flu varieties a single strain can become in just short amount of time? So I believe whoever unleash genetic weapon on a population will eventually backfire and kill everyone else including himself.

Last edited:

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I haven't been informing myself on this one but it really sounds interesting although the sole purpose of this is not interesting at all. From scientific point of view is great. I am not a scientist though so I don't have a clue how close we are from this. My opinion is that we are moving toward this kind of weaponry and I guess Russian, Chinese or Americans developed some start ups :)

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
It would be a weapon of genocide that is for sure.

Actually some viruses out there are already naturally more attracted to certain groups of people. Every a few years there is a new scare from one of the newly discovered strains. Who knows if one of them is just a test of primitive genetic weapon. They can test the "targeting system" on some non-lethal viruses. Once they have "perfected" the "targeting system", they might try it on something more deadly.