Google launches Dubai Street View, first in the Arab world

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
1bed2731-b223-4e21-8bfc-7083da0cabb3_16x9_600x338.jpg

Tuesday, 9 December 2014
Google has announced the arrival of Street View in Dubai, a feature by Google Maps that allows users to view and navigate 360 degree street-level imagery of major streets across the city.

Street View was launched in May 2007 and is already available in more than 3000 cities across 63 countries around the world but this marks the time Street View is made available on a street-level in the Arab world.

Mohamad Mourad, Regional Director for Google in Middle East and North Africa, said: “Google Street View will allow millions of people from around the world to discover Dubai in a new way ----to see and experience useful and beautiful 360-degree imagery of one of the most touristic cities in the world. Wherever we have launched Street View, we have seen positive response, and believe that people and businesses in the UAE and across the world can benefit on many levels from having this imagery available.”

Street View imagery is gathered by a vehicle equipped with advanced imaging technology--- a camera mounted on the roof of a car that collects imagery and location data. Some of the main areas captured by Street View in Dubai include Sheikh Zayed Road, a main thoroughfare, Dubai Marina and Business Bay.

Last Update: Tuesday, 9 December 2014 KSA 14:47 - GMT 11:47

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/bus...ubai-Street-View-first-in-the-Arab-world.html

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
Its true that the UAE is small in term of size and that it is easy for them to progress in a short period of time but why isn't Saudi Arabia does the same thing. The country is moving ahead yes but at very slow rate. In all seriousness, Saudi Arabia should speed up the ongoing works related to tourism and other development and then open its gate for people from around the world.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think this is a good thing for people wanting to see dubai by digital means as the costs can be high to visit the place and this will be a good way to view the city. This is good technology and easy to use, and hope the city moves ahead more faster which will benefit and make prices reasonable so tourists can visit. The google launch can be seen all over the world is a great way, for people wanting to see what sort of place it is and how life is there.

rga1999

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
WOW! This is great. I am extremely excited that they have allowed this to happen. I know most are concerned about evil bad things happening, but on the other hand folks like myself who will probably never step foot in Dubai gives an opportunity to experience this first hand. I can only hope that other HUGE attractions take the same approach.

Saraldra

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Spain
I've always wanted to visit Dubai as it is one of the richest nations in the world with lots of unique sights, so this is a very welcome way of experiencing it. I hope it will inspire people to learn more about the country, and maybe even consider a visit themselves.

Dez97

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
USA
All these countries are really making their way up the map, they don't do much but little by little you see them coming out. I had no idea that there wasn't a street view for it, but now I know to really look for other countries I think is there via Google Maps.

hiddenwolf

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Its very interesting, I wonder what other locations become available over the next couple of years. Well either way its very cool to be able to take a tour of such a beautiful city while sitting from home.

soconfused

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
As someone who is looking forward to moving there for a few years, this is amazing! Now i can sit at home and plan so much better instead of only relying on youtube and pictures.

Sean Lich

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Everything aside, I've been waiting for this for a long, long time. I've been interested in Dubai for years, and will most likely never travel there. I can spend hours on Google Street View visiting places I never would otherwise.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I spend a lot of time on Street View too, I like to check out landmarks and cities I could only ever dream of visiting. Sometimes, the stalker in me likes to check out celebrities neighborhoods too!

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
This is awesome and scary at the same time. Technology has grown by leaps and bounds over the course of the past 25 years and now we can take a virtual tour of an entire city (especially Dubai, that is awesome!) but it leads to the question, where next?

If Google has the means and resources to take on a city like Dubai and turn it into a virtual field trip for all to take on, what does this mean for individual privacy and where will they go next? Are they going to continue to look at cities throughout the world or will they head someplace a little closer to home (Los Angeles, Chicago, New York). Very interesting Dubai was first but more interesting is where will they go next?

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I am really impressed with what the Government of United Arab Emirates are doing. They should go ahead and keep up the good job

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
This is great seeing a city that I could never afford to visit. May have to check this out from time to time. I hope you guys will enjoy this.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
This country is definitely one of the countries I would want to visit soon. I have some friends who are even encouraging me to move there, but I'd rather not jump into the moving wagon just yet. I just want a good vacation and it looks like the perfect spot.

diprod

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
Very impressive Google. This feature basically allows you to view Dubai as if you are there! I'm actually amazed. :D Mankind have come so far in technology and it is making me cry a bit. Tears of joy by the way. LOL :)