space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Greece to ask for NATO’s support in dispute with Turkey
Associated Press DEMETRIS NELLAS,Associated Press 9 hours ago

09e0854d7699c55b24fb38fb0f257523
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis arrives for a meeting with Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte at Chigi Palace premier's office, in Rome, Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)
ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Greece’s prime minister said Sunday he will ask other NATO members at the alliance’s London summit to support Greece in the face of fellow member Turkey’s attempts to encroach on Greek sovereignty, notably last week’s agreement with Libya delineating maritime borders in the Mediterranean.
Kyriakos Mitsotakis told the ruling conservative New Democracy party’s congress Sunday that NATO can’t remain indifferent when one of its members “blatantly violates international law” and that a neutral approach is to the detriment of Greece, which has never sought to ratchet up tensions in the area.
Cyprus, Egypt and Greece have all condemned the Libyan-Turkish accord as contrary to international law. The foreign ministers of Egypt and Greece, Sameh Shoukry and Nikos Dendias, discussed the issue Sunday in Cairo.
Spokesman Ahmed Hafez said in a statement after the meeting that the two ministers agreed that the Turkey-Libya deal was “illegal” and that Libyan Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj doesn’t have the right to sign memorandums with other countries outside (the scope of) the U.N.-brokered deal that established his government.
“We agreed that that Mr. Sarraj most likely lacks the mandate to sign (two agreements with Turkey), which anyway function as destabilizing factors in the area,” Dendias said after the meeting. “We also agreed with (Shoukry) to accelerate talks between teams of experts to define and delineate Exclusive Economic Zones between Greece and Egypt,” Dendias added.
While Greece and Egypt are across from each other in the Mediterranean Sea, as are Greece and Turkey, Libya is geographically further from Turkey and the waters between the two countries are mostly those between Greece and Egypt.
The Turkey-Libya deal added tension to an ongoing dispute with Greece, Cyprus and Egypt over oil-and-gas drilling rights in the eastern Mediterranean.
Turkey doesn’t recognize Cyprus as a state — but does recognize the breakaway Turkish Cypriot entity, the only country to do so — and is conducting exploratory gas drilling in waters where the ethnically divided island nation has exclusive economic rights.
Ankara says it’s defending its rights and those of the Turkish Cypriots to regional energy reserves.
___
Sam Magdy contributed to this report from Cairo.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Greece should ask Egypt too. The Egyptian Navy can safeguard that area very well and Erdogan fears it.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
There will come a point when he pisses off enough people

Your guys mistake is you are making Libya out to be about Erdogan. There is a whole struggle across the whole region, and Turkey is just helping the GNA survive in Libya. Nothing illegal about it. Egypt in my opinion does not want any conflict. Haftar is getting US/Russian/UAE/Saudi/Egyptian support but he still will not be able to take over Tripoli. Tunisia/Algeria are against what they are doing in Libya. So if you think that this adventurism will go well then think again, it's been 70 plus years of same policies which the people of the region are tired of.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
not sure what you mean, I am referring to Turkey's continued presence in NATO, not some kind of war..

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
sorry, the article read by me, is about Turkey pissing off Greece

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
sorry, the article read by me, is about Turkey pissing off Greece

Well they both piss each other off when it comes to the issue of Cyprus. But I don't see what Greece thinks is illegal about the Libyan defense agreement. Libya needed to become like Tunisia with democratic elections and have a centralized government force/army. Then some guy from Virginia known as Haftar was dropped off into Benghazi by world powers to execute his dictatorial vision for Libya which is something everyone wants to move on from. He's not winning shit, Algerians, Turks, Libyans, Tunisians and Moroccans will fvck up everyone who tries instilling dictators into the region again. And they won't be able to do shit about it.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Well they both piss each other off when it comes to the issue of Cyprus. But I don't see what Greece thinks is illegal about the Libyan defense agreement. Libya needed to become like Tunisia with democratic elections and have a centralized government force/army. Then some guy from Virginia known as Haftar was dropped off into Benghazi by world powers to execute his dictatorial vision for Libya which is something everyone wants to move on from. He's not winning shit, Algerians, Turks, Libyans, Tunisians and Moroccans will fvck up everyone who tries instilling dictators into the region again. And they won't be able to do shit about it.

Turkey is acting no different than the mullah of Iran.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Turkey is acting no different than the mullah of Iran.

Let Turkey and Iran do what they want, but ask yourself what are we Arabs doing. It's not what God and his Prophet ordained. As someone confident in the word of God and his Prophet, I am not worried by Turks or Iranians. What worries me is where we Arabs are heading and why we are ignoring the word of God and what he had ordained. If we follow him then there is nothing to fear, he will guide us to the light and grant prosperity and security for us.

However, only then he will, now we are going against his commands and have people corrupt in their hearts to the core so it's no surprise we have reality where foreigners determine the agenda for our people and every step and move we make. That is not good for us.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
What worries me is where we Arabs are heading and why we are ignoring the word of God and what he had ordained. If we follow him then there is nothing to fear, he will guide us to the light and grant prosperity and security for us.

However, only then he will, now we are going against his commands and have people corrupt in their hearts to the core so it's no surprise we have reality where foreigners determine the agenda for our people and every step and move we make. That is not good for us.

What are we ignoring?

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
I don't think it's a good idea to ask him to elaborate. Some people want an argument, it's not constructive with some people.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I do not believe we should interject God or religion when it comes to politics. What brings us together is common interest period.