How can we Improve our user's experience? | Page 4 | World Defense

How can we Improve our user's experience?

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
Webmaster may i suggest not having to click the like button twice to give a thumbs up , clicking it once should be sufficient . Also a slightly darker background in the corners would make it easier to read the text , the sea of white is a bit disconcerting.

Rating Buttons are not fixed.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Rating Buttons are not fixed.

Could there be two minor changes? Could there be an 'Informative' button, that would enable us to mark posts that really are foundational? Second, could there be an equivalent of the 'good' button, a 'dislike' button, milder than the 'negative' rating button?

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Could there be two minor changes? Could there be an 'Informative' button, that would enable us to mark posts that really are foundational? Second, could there be an equivalent of the 'good' button, a 'dislike' button, milder than the 'negative' rating button?

1) We do have the "bookmark" option below each post.

2) You mean a "thumbs down" ?

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India

W e ell, you have a point; the bookmark could be an option. No reason why not, and no need to add a feature.
Yes, I suppose a thumbs down would be the proper option.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
W e ell, you have a point; the bookmark could be an option. No reason why not, and no need to add a feature.
Yes, I suppose a thumbs down would be the proper option.
Why don't you do a poll, on whether we should have a "don't agree" button?

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
Hello people,

With few new members joining us every now and then, I hope we will someday see a reasonable membership of this forum. The word will slowly spread and people will come visit, some may join ........ to others this forum may not appeal ......... in the case of people who joined or would join, almost all of us already know who they are, what is their internet persona and posting style (unless they totally hide their internet fora Id and come with some changed name, but still I think we can guess by their posting style). Nearly all of us had our reasons for joining this forum, some of us still share ourselves on many other fora, but few have totally made this forum their only home. Our reasons are lessons learnt somewhere else, so I think none of us is willing to go back to the same old suffering way, and end up destroying the sanity, decency, logic and healthy interaction with others, here.

I personally believe in second chances, ready to forget what happened somewhere else the differences we had, the bad arguments and mudslinging matches we had ........ I believe a person can change given the chance, no I am not promoting a hypocritical behavior where we don't argue at all, but I am pointing at reality that we are all mature, and we can accept opponents' fact based argument and come up with a decent counter narrative ......... it doesn't have to be a toilet, rape, terrorist, Mullah, Medressa, Bakht, ultra Nationalist argument to win a debate, the purpose is not winning but conveying our point of view, and learning something new everyday.

Long story short I would appreciate if we (the existing members) could come up with an evaluation criteria for the management and existing members, based on which we can help the management decide allowing the membership to new comers and rating them. (Yes I know its discriminatory ....... but I think its necessary)

What I have in mind is a sticky thread where a new comer automatically gets directed to as soon as he / she fills out the registration details. The thread would be more of a questionnaire ....... comprising of questions the answers to which can help gauge the new comer and subsequently help us modify our responses to him accordingly and help him build on his / her strengths.

I have some generic questions in mind like questions pertaining to new comers' basic background information like education, experience, age, sex, employment nature, interests etc and then questions pertaining to whether he / she is a defense analyst / expert, his / her political views, geopolitical views, religious tendencies, and how he / she looks at other religions ............. plus e.g the new comer can be asked to rate himself based on following ...........

1 I enjoy meeting new people.

2 I like helping people.

3 I sometimes make mistakes.

4 I'm easily disappointed.

5 I enjoy repairing things.

Your participation to make it a comprehensive decent questionnaire would be appreciated ................. looking forward

@Mage @BATMAN

@The Sandman @Nilgiri @SOUTHie @Hellhound @MaarKhoor

@Indus Falcon @Shaheen @Hithchiker @Tps77

@Khafee @Scorpion @Joe Shearer @jbgt90 @Bundeswehr

@WebMaster and the rest of members .............

Hithchiker

Reactions
721 28 0
Country
Pakistan
Hello people,

With few new members joining us every now and then, I hope we will someday see a reasonable membership of this forum. The word will slowly spread and people will come visit, some may join ........ to others this forum may not appeal ......... in the case of people who joined or would join, almost all of us already know who they are, what is their internet persona and posting style (unless they totally hide their internet fora Id and come with some changed name, but still I think we can guess by their posting style). Nearly all of us had our reasons for joining this forum, some of us still share ourselves on many other fora, but few have totally made this forum their only home. Our reasons are lessons learnt somewhere else, so I think none of us is willing to go back to the same old suffering way, and end up destroying the sanity, decency, logic and healthy interaction with others, here.

I personally believe in second chances, ready to forget what happened somewhere else the differences we had, the bad arguments and mudslinging matches we had ........ I believe a person can change given the chance, no I am not promoting a hypocritical behavior where we don't argue at all, but I am pointing at reality that we are all mature, and we can accept opponents' fact based argument and come up with a decent counter narrative ......... it doesn't have to be a toilet, rape, terrorist, Mullah, Medressa, Bakht, ultra Nationalist argument to win a debate, the purpose is not winning but conveying our point of view, and learning something new everyday.

Long story short I would appreciate if we (the existing members) could come up with an evaluation criteria for the management and existing members, based on which we can help the management decide allowing the membership to new comers and rating them. (Yes I know its discriminatory ....... but I think its necessary)

What I have in mind is a sticky thread where a new comer automatically gets directed to as soon as he / she fills out the registration details. The thread would be more of a questionnaire ....... comprising of questions the answers to which can help gauge the new comer and subsequently help us modify our responses to him accordingly and help him build on his / her strengths.

I have some generic questions in mind like questions pertaining to new comers' basic background information like education, experience, age, sex, employment nature, interests etc and then questions pertaining to whether he / she is a defense analyst / expert, his / her political views, geopolitical views, religious tendencies, and how he / she looks at other religions ............. plus e.g the new comer can be asked to rate himself based on following ...........

2 I like helping people.

Your participation to make it a comprehensive decent questionnaire would be appreciated ................. looking forward

@Mage @BATMAN

I believe membership should be easy but moderation needs to be strict ..We cant't judge until somebody starts to write and expressing his thoughts ...

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
I believe membership should be easy but moderation needs to be strict ..We cant't judge until somebody starts to write and expressing his thoughts ...

I am not saying that we should judge people ........... most of us know each other from another world, the bad interactions if allowed as they were there ......... would destroy the environment here. Some of us come with those preconceived ideas and beliefs here and right away start repeating the same .......... a check or a notification upfront to the new comers that this place is different is needed.

Hithchiker

Reactions
721 28 0
Country
Pakistan
I am not saying that we should judge people ........... most of us know each other from another world, the bad interactions if allowed as they were there ......... would destroy the environment here. Some of us come with those preconceived ideas and beliefs here and right away start repeating the same .......... a check or a notification upfront to the new comers that this place is different is needed.
An idea from your writing , might be he should be only allowed to comment and post in that "sticky thread" as you mentioned for a limited period of time and then allow to post and comment without restrictions..By this way filtration will be much easy

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Hello people,

2 I like helping people.

@Mage @BATMAN

1518594924303.png

Great idea, but it won't be easy. Some comments:
  1. In psychometry, what you are suggesting/have suggested is called an instrument. A skilled instrument designer can build one that precisely outlines an indvidual's profile and precisely informs the administrator about the compatibility of that individual with the desired tenor of the forum.
  2. It isn't easy to design given the tight constraints of the forum; it requires
    1. creating a profile by identifying traits that go into that profile,
    2. checking the correlation of those traits with the profile, to reserve only the very closely correlated traits,
    3. selecting questions,
    4. rating them for effectively measuring traits by measuring the answers,
    5. retaining only the most discriminating questions (those that widely separate individuals along a spectrum of responses from the most closely aligned to a trait to the least aligned)
    6. jumbling up the questions to avoid the agreement bias (where people tend to say 'yes' to a question on the mistaken assumption that it will please the administrator)
    7. testing the instrument
    8. finalising it and administering it.
I love the idea but would rather see the administration judging their acceptability by judging their positive/negative ratings as awarded by a selected panel, chosen for representing a wide spectrum of views.

PS: I totally, TOTALLY agree with the preamble. The available alternative fora have already receded into a saffron bhakt sanctuary and a green bhakt sanctuary. I don't think there is much hope for either of them.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
View attachment 5579

Great idea, but it won't be easy. Some comments:
  1. In psychometry, what you are suggesting/have suggested is called an instrument. A skilled instrument designer can build one that precisely outlines an indvidual's profile and precisely informs the administrator about the compatibility of that individual with the desired tenor of the forum.
  2. It isn't easy to design given the tight constraints of the forum; it requires
    1. creating a profile by identifying traits that go into that profile,
    2. checking the correlation of those traits with the profile, to reserve only the very closely correlated traits,
    3. selecting questions,
    4. rating them for effectively measuring traits by measuring the answers,
    5. retaining only the most discriminating questions (those that widely separate individuals along a spectrum of responses from the most closely aligned to a trait to the least aligned)
    6. jumbling up the questions to avoid the agreement bias (where people tend to say 'yes' to a question on the mistaken assumption that it will please the administrator)
    7. testing the instrument
    8. finalising it and administering it.
I love the idea but would rather see the administration judging their acceptability by judging their positive/negative ratings as awarded by a selected panel, chosen for representing a wide spectrum of views.

PS: I totally, TOTALLY agree with the preamble. The available alternative fora have already receded into a saffron bhakt sanctuary and a green bhakt sanctuary. I don't think there is much hope for either of them.

Sir,

Thank you for your usual support, participation and appreciation ............ I understand its not easy and it cannot be perfect. The idea is to inform the new comer that people here are conscious and take hatred, biased views seriously as a community, they are democratic, impartial and won't play favorites nor they would tolerate any shizz coming from any quarters. Just to make a statement that the community you are entering encourages knowledge seeking, having fun and decent humor ..... but no crossing the red lines. I also understand that a human can have a bad day, mood swings ..... but its a limited time, where he / she in our community can openly inform everyone else I am not feeling okay ........ and the rest understand.

The idea is not to deny the membership, but to convey a message and develop an understanding of the new entrant and help him adjust to the environment and progress. A simple questionnaire ........ that helps conveying the message and expectations.

It can be same for everyone, concealed from general public as "Private section" so non members don't get the idea ...

Tps77

Reactions
330 12 0
Country
Pakistan
Actually WDF can be a good alternative strength is increasing day by day but It would take atleast 1 year to reach at some acceptable level . Fo=rom my side I think @I.R.A is saying right Also wanna add that more active participation is needed from all members lets hope so what and how they contribute.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
You are right no amount of psychometric testing can weed out a true psycho. To get in people say things "you" want to hear. It's only when things get tough that a persons true character comes out.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
You are right no amount of psychometric testing can weed out a true psycho. To get in people say things "you" want to hear. It's only when things get tough that a persons true character comes out.

Fair enough. Each of us must see a subject through the lens of his (or her) own experience. I have seen the great power that this has. An example: the California F-Test, admittedly not an ordinary instrument , but one famous for its path-breaking role and effectiveness. We can't afford an instrument, also I am not sure that we have all of us seen these in use, so the heuristic method is probably the best. I'm all for it.

The Sandman

Reactions
405 34 0
Country
Pakistan
Hello people,

2 I like helping people.

@Mage @BATMAN

Well i guess these are some really good suggestions and can help create a very good and a healthy forum where you won't be harrased or abused just because of difference of opinion i support your suggestions.