How to stop homegrown terrorists? | Page 3 | World Defense

How to stop homegrown terrorists?

cyberpinoy

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Philippines
It's interesting that you say this, while not living in either the UK or the US. Maybe you can't understand the concept of freedom. In the US, at least, we have the freedom to live as we please - to practice whatever religion we want, to speak our mind, to engage in any legal activity, to live where and how we want. THAT is what angers people - the idea that I pray to a different god, or that I wear clothes that offend you or have beliefs that are different from yours, that my skin is a different color or I marry someone you think inappropriate. It's INTOLERANCE that creates terrorists. I'm not saying that our government is perfect or that our laws are completely just. But the US probably gives it's citizens the most rights of any other country and to blame our government is just wrong.
Never judge a book by its cover :). its interesting just from my post and looking at my flags by my name you assume I am not american. You assumed my father was not an american soldier in the army and defended your right to have that freedom to live as you please, to practice what you want an wear offensive clothes. Its interesting you showed your true americanism by judging me without any research on me and in doing so judged me incorrectly. I am American, i was born and raised in Ohio, I moved to Myrtle Beach where I owned 2 successful companies, then we sold our companies and moved to the Philippines to help my wife's family who were struggling. My father served in the Armed forces and defended our country, I did not serve in the military. I went to college and got a business education instead.

The things you pointed out do irritate a lot of foreigners, however what people hate the most about americans you did in your post and proved them right. They hate how we judge people and try and push our opinion on them without knwoing who those people are. How we try and get people to agree with our ways and do like we do without understanding thier culture and how it works. It is not intolerance per say that creates terrorists, most of the time its greed more so than religion, they are greedy and the best way to get what they want is join some unorganized group and support whatever it is they are fighting for just to get in on the cash and things they are doing. A lot of the members of the terrorists groups are more criminal to the group they support than they are to the governments and people they oppose. they steal weapons from the group and other thngs they can sell to someone else just to make some extra cash.

By you living in your glass house in America and never knowing true terrorism at your borders (9-11 was small compared to what some countries face daily) its funny you so easily throw stones. Try going out where terrorism is rampid where it is home grown, and see the fear in the peoples eyes. As Americans we life a beautifully protected life where we seldom have to worry about a lot of the things people worry about on a daily basis.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
That's the great debate. It's more than just about alienation and feeling affronted within the country they were born in. It's about them choosing to adopt an identity and ethos that is counter to what they were brought up appreciating. The Islamist approach of religious war clearly has an appeal to some. The fact that it's able to influence such young minds is a worry.

cyberpinoy

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Philippines
That's the great debate. It's more than just about alienation and feeling affronted within the country they were born in. It's about them choosing to adopt an identity and ethos that is counter to what they were brought up appreciating. The Islamist approach of religious war clearly has an appeal to some. The fact that it's able to influence such young minds is a worry.
You know what i do not understand and often wonder is do christians and Islamic believers do this. Have any of them actually read the bibles of the other religion. If anyone has you will see a whole lot of similarities in both bibles. With things like this who can really say which religion is the correct one. I personally do not believe in any god. I think if there were actually a imaginary power that created this world and the people in it were images of him there would be a lot less violence and other things in this world. So for me looking around at different cultures and life and things the Bible says I just do not buy into the "God" thing anymore. If I am wrong so what Ill go to hell which is most likely a lot better than the life I have been given to live on this earth. ----Just my opinion about religion and people fighting over it---

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
There are a lot of people with very warped interpretations of their religions. I can't think of any religion that preaches hate and hurt. They all preach love. So why people are willing to take an extreme approach to their faiths is really something I can't understand.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
I think that there should be a very severe punishment for anyone caught in the act of terrorism. This may prevent others from trying due to the consequences. A government should be on its toes to notice anything out of the ordinary. It should invest in the right equipment to protect her people in case of attacks.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
There are a lot of people with very warped interpretations of their religions. I can't think of any religion that preaches hate and hurt. They all preach love. So why people are willing to take an extreme approach to their faiths is really something I can't understand.

Yes, you are right. These terrorists do have very warped interpretations of their religions. In fact, from what I have seen so far, they only know bits and pieces of what their holy books say. Like, it has been often quoted by them that the Quran tells them to kill all non-infidels. They are, in actual fact, only quoting one very small part of the Quran. And they hold on to that small little part like it represents the meaning of the entire Quran, which is totally untrue.

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya
In the UK, we have found those families given refugee from war torn countries have had members plotting terrorist acts against the very country that had saved them from homelessness and death. It's the same in the USA where it has been discovered the people behind some of the atrocities from militant groups were born or brought up on UK or USA soil.

S0 how can they stop this without infringing on peoples rights? Or do the rights of the citizens outweigh the possibility of death and destruction to the masses? It's a difficult line to cross with people declaring civil liberties, but people also have a right to be protected from this too. They attempt to infiltrate and stop any recruiting, but among the inner circles how can the government penetrate it? Do they limit asylum seekers rights or send them back or stop allowing them to settle in other countries?
The best approach would be to vet would be asylum seekers and keep a database of their personal details and their whereabouts at any given time. Denying asylum seekers refugee status will seem inhumane because not all of them share those radical views of the terrorists.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The best approach would be to vet would be asylum seekers and keep a database of their personal details and their whereabouts at any given time. Denying asylum seekers refugee status will seem inhumane because not all of them share those radical views of the terrorists.

There lies in the problem as many may not have paperwork and can hide a criminal past and it's hard to keep a database of people when they speak a different language. Consider that they may also have fake paperwork and coming to a different country, it will be hard to check.

Many people have the same names in the family as well and identities can get confused, so it's hard to assess people who are from a war torn country. It is a risk and as we have seen, it has resulted in some damaging other countries and destroying other cultures. However, some how there needs to be a way to protect the host nation and also provide a home for refugees safely. Maybe only allow them to stay so many years or they need to be reviewed every so many years?

mizrael

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Canada
We have to look at the humanitarian aspect of war and how to separate the two, it's not the average refugee that we need to be concerned about, they are just trying to flee the conflict, but the hard core fanatic" individuals who are probably already involved in terror groups or sympathizers"we need to have a better screening process where we can separate these individuals, so not to discriminate against the people that need help the most.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Theres no way to stop home grown terrorism. You can try and steer people away from extremeism but at the end of the day a certain percentage of the population is going to be drawn to violence and destruction. Some people are going to turn against their own country no matter how good they may have it.

freeofcharge

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I think that counter-terrorism is really just a matter of increased education. The majority of those who are susceptible to radicalization are those who just aren't smart enough to know better. That being said you also have to take into account the fact that religious freedom in the developed world makes it very difficult to penetrate radicalization groups like that without infringing on others. You cannot force anyone onto your way of thinking, the best you can do is educate as many as humanly possible and hope that they educate those around them.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
Like everyone said, this is a very good and yet complicated topic. Despite a lot of possible answers, and as much as I hate to say it, they are mostly wishful if not hopeful thinking. I guess a very simple way to respond to something like this is suggesting re-education. Giving these people a different purpose to improve themselves so they can have better lives. Why do they even want to be terrorists? What exactly influenced them? Brainwashed at a very young age? We really don't have to look too far or too deep for possible reasons.

Let's take Elliot Rodger for example, in his last video he claimed that he was angry because women ignore him. From most people's perspective, that reason is just not enough to push anyone to kill six random people and then commit suicide. He was a kid who pretty much had everything, he doesn't look half bad either. Maybe if his parents spent enough time talking to him, educating and scolding him if necessary. Showing him that people do give a damn about what happens to him, he probably won't be dead right now and labelled as a murderer. Cheesy as that may sound but there is truth in it, when your children or family member starts to show a shift in behavior, start asking questions.