Huge explosions at US army base in Japan as warehouse burns and emergency services rush to scene | World Defense

Huge explosions at US army base in Japan as warehouse burns and emergency services rush to scene

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
A helicopter is circling the military area in Sagamihara city after a series of massive bangs were heard from a warehouse which stores ammunition

There have been huge explosions at a US army base in Japan.

Helicopters have been spotted circling the area as emergency services rush to the scene in Sagamihara city, south of Tokyo.

The site is near to a US base next to the capital where three deliberate explosions were reported in April, in what police suspect was an act of left-wing Japanese extremists.

The Wall Street Journal reported that a spokesman for police in Kanagawa Prefecture said two steel pipes were found planted in the ground with electric cables in the camp.

There is a bare warehouse currently burning at the Sagamihara General Depot, according to Japanese broadcasters.

CNG2178WoAAmBn6.jpg

CNG22CBWUAA2L_L.jpg

CNG22G8WUAExEvT.jpg

CNG22LlWwAAvy-g.jpg

Social media users have been sharing dramatic photos and videos from the region.

The Sagamihara Fire Department told Fox News: "Fire from the American military base has occurred."

The Sagami General Depot houses storage for petroleum products and ammunition.

So far no injuries have been reported but the base is used to house military families.

The fire department said the blasts occurred shortly before 1:00am local time and more than ten fire trucks were dispatched.

Japan’s Asahi newspaper reported that no general evacuation of nearby areas had been called.

The official cause of the explosion remains unknown.
Huge explosions at US army base in Japan as warehouse burns and emergency services rush to scene - Mirror Online

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
This is the first time I've heard of Japanese extremists. All along, I thought the Japanese emperor has a tight grip on the nation and its culture. It was the Japanese people's loyalty to the emperor that made them a super power during the second world war. Now with the evidence of those planned explosions, I guess something is wrong with my perception.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
As @Corzhens mentioned, this is also the first time I'm hearing of these left wing extremists. I suppose Japan has a firmer grasp on their press, or we'd have heard about them before now. The last I heard, this is still under investigation, and still no injuries have been reported, which I find unusual, unless the explosions were planned to make a big show, while not actually endangering anyone. If it had been an accident, you would think at least someone would have been harmed.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
A helicopter is circling the military area in Sagamihara city after a series of massive bangs were heard from a warehouse which stores ammunition

There have been huge explosions at a US army base in Japan.

Helicopters have been spotted circling the area as emergency services rush to the scene in Sagamihara city, south of Tokyo.

The site is near to a US base next to the capital where three deliberate explosions were reported in April, in what police suspect was an act of left-wing Japanese extremists.

The Wall Street Journal reported that a spokesman for police in Kanagawa Prefecture said two steel pipes were found planted in the ground with electric cables in the camp.

There is a bare warehouse currently burning at the Sagamihara General Depot, according to Japanese broadcasters.

CNG2178WoAAmBn6.jpg

CNG22CBWUAA2L_L.jpg

CNG22G8WUAExEvT.jpg

CNG22LlWwAAvy-g.jpg

Social media users have been sharing dramatic photos and videos from the region.

The Sagamihara Fire Department told Fox News: "Fire from the American military base has occurred."

The Sagami General Depot houses storage for petroleum products and ammunition.

So far no injuries have been reported but the base is used to house military families.

The fire department said the blasts occurred shortly before 1:00am local time and more than ten fire trucks were dispatched.

Japan’s Asahi newspaper reported that no general evacuation of nearby areas had been called.

The official cause of the explosion remains unknown.
Huge explosions at US army base in Japan as warehouse burns and emergency services rush to scene - Mirror Online
I am not sure I had heard of this previously. It sounds quite suspicious as China also had explosions which I am not sure were ever explained. It is hard to understand the motives of people especially those that might have terrorism on their minds.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I am not sure I had heard of this previously. It sounds quite suspicious as China also had explosions which I am not sure were ever explained. It is hard to understand the motives of people especially those that might have terrorism on their minds.

@ke gordon Terrorism is what came to my mind, as well, and it's difficult to keep up with all of the various groups and their end goals. Extremists who set explosions are by definition terrorists, although if they are trying to minimize casualties and simply make a statement, I suppose they fall in a different category than a group such as ISIS, although neither is good. I would like to hear more on both these and the explosions in China, but it seems information is being limited, and even if we do hear, it will probably be at least somewhat skewed.