UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Iran blinds acid attacker in ‘eye-for- an-eye' punishment

By Staff Writer | Al Arabiya News
Friday, 6 March 2015
An Iranian man has been blinded in one eye by doctors in a literal eye-for-an-eye punishment for attacking another man in the face with acid and leaving him disfigured and blinded in his left eye, British daily The Guardian has reported.

d0ea263d-5da6-4f04-90a2-a0865a941c1a_16x9_600x338.jpg

Ameneh Bahrami, an Iranian woman, blinded in an acid attack, pardoned her attacker in 2011
(File photo: AP)​

As well as the blinding, the perpetrator was also fined and sentenced to 10 years jail.

The unidentified convicted acid attacker was unconscious in Rajai-Shahr prison, Karaj city when doctors on Tuesday gouged out his left eye, the report added.

Now the punishment has been criticized by Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, from Iran Human Rights (IHR), an independent NGO based in Norway, who said the blinding was barbaric.

He said: “Medical staff who cooperate with the Iranian authorities in this act have broken the Hippocratic Oath and cannot call themselves doctors.”

Initially the man - who was convicted five years ago - had been sentenced to lose both eyes. But in a last minute reprieve his victim – who under Iranian law has the final say in his attacker’s punishment – called for the blinding in his right eye to be postponed for six months

The convicted man will be able to plead with his victim to call off the blinding of his remaining eye.

There has been an increase in acid attacks in Iran in recent years. In this case it is thought the man was hired by relatives of the victim’s wife.

In an attempt to deal with the worrying trend, Iranian authorities have turned to sharia law, using retribution as a means to tackle the problem – although it is a move that has been condemned by human rights activists as inhumane.

The convicted man is not the first to be sentenced to be blinded in Iran - but it is the first time the punishment has actually been carried out. Previously doctors have refused to cooperate with officials – the report added,

Raha Bahreini, a researcher at Amnesty International’s Iran team told The Guardian: “Blinding is totally prohibited under international law, along with stoning, flogging, amputation and other forms of corporal punishment provided in Iran’s Islamic penal code and must not be carried out under any circumstances.”

Bahreini said that Iranian authorities should instead raise awareness about the growing problem of these violent attacks.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Bahreini said that Iranian authorities should instead raise awareness about the growing problem of these violent attacks.
Theoretically, yes, that would work. But sometimes what is needed is a strong deterrent to would-be aggressors.

While the "eye for an eye" law might seem barbaric especially if it's not someone close to you who was blinded I think in this case, gouging out the man's eye is just. If that [blinding people] is the only way to protect Iranian women from acid attacks then anyone found guilty should pay for their crime — "an eye for an eye."

The human rights activists are just being hypocrites. Had it been someone they loved who was blinded wouldn't they be clamoring for justice?

TommyVercetti

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
Interesting. Laws like this are clearly archaic; you could easily argue the 'wrongness' of this punishment in a lot of logical and ethical ways. On the other hand, gut reactions by most people would have them praising the ruling instead of condemning it. I'm not judging or anything here, I just find the whole thing interesting.

Also, those doctors don't deserve to be called doctors anymore; that much is fact. Once you hurt your patients you break your oath.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I wander what the victim will say and this, guys face looks real bad he should of thought of the consequences and also that he will be regretting what he did and think maybe if there was a different to solve the problems. I think that, it would be interesting how this guy gets on in life as he will struggle and this should be a lesson as the same could happen to you as well. I think, that this man will not interfer in anyone's life now and will lose his family and spend life with one eye which is going to be hard.