Iranian Hackers Indicted by U.S. Department of Justice | World Defense

Iranian Hackers Indicted by U.S. Department of Justice

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Iranian hackers were indicted by the United States Department of Justice two days ago, relating to cyber attacks on 46 financial institutions and also a dam in New York state. Since many, if not most of the hackers probably reside outside of the U.S., it may be difficult to actually bring them to court to face the charges. It's believed that the attacks were state-sponsored, by Iran. Here's a link to the article with much more information. It's an interesting read, and also mentions previous hacking attempts, one by Chinese hackers, and another by a Russian. U.S. Charges Seven Iranian Hackers With Infiltrating Banks, Dam - US News

Bryce Hontz

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
19 0 0
Country
USA
Good thing we have a growing interest in cyber security. Hopefully we will be able to prevent these attacks better in the future or better gain control of these situations when they do occur. I know the US military has been working on better cyber security. Particularity at Fort Meade in Maryland. The Marines just created a cyber security group there along with the 10th fleet and fleet cyber command already there.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Beside having a strong security and effective countermeasures, there should be an international law to condemn cyber attacks and bring the hackers to face justice. Crime is crime whatsoever the way used to implement it.OXXO

mhudson

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
It is interesting to see how differently cyber-issues are handled, internationally, than other offenses. If agents from China, Russia, or Iran had gained physical access to those banks and obtained the information that way, this would have been a significant international/diplomatic incident. Despite being around for decades now, cyberspace is still very much an untamed territory.

International laws forbidding these activities might discourage some of the attacks on softer, civilian institutions. I suspect since most of the world's major players are all neck-deep in their own electronic espionage programs, any laws passed would be largely symbolic. Between Five Eyes and stuxnet, we can be pretty certain the West hasn't been on its best behavior in this realm either.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
As much as it sounds like a movie I believe that the only good and solid way to fight hackers and this type of crime is to have on of those hackers to work for you. Of course they would have to be monitored and given some ultimatum. You know, like DiCaprio in Catch Me if You Can :) Anyway, it makes sense to me that you need to be a hacker to fight one too.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Maybe, since we are still in 2016 and some parts of the world are still developing, so the world doesn't care much about cyber attacks. But what about 2030 , 2040 ,2050 .... ? !

The cyberspace is not a law-free zone and future will come up with treaties and international laws. Like the governments are tracking terrorists on the network, they will track hackers, too. Just give them a time.O<=>O

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I agree, laws regarding cyberspace are lacking, and need to be developed. I'm actually surprised that no one I know seems to care about issues such as this (other than my immediate family), but I guess I'm a little more passionate about things, which of course is one reason I visit this forum and others.

I think we all know that developed countries have been monitoring other countries for years, both in and out of cyberspace, but to be honest, I'm not all that concerned about the UK, France, Canada, etc., except in that whatever intelligence they gather could probably also be stolen from them. My primary concerns are those hacks that seem to be state sponsored, and those obviously aren't from our allies.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Cyber attacks can be very detrimental to society. However, the truth be told it's been done for various reasons by most of the developed countries. This is like the new version of the old spy vs spy situation. I don't know if international laws will have any great effect on this activity. In this case, they have indicted Iranian hackers, however, it's hardly likely that these hackers will be brought to justice.