Is America Still a Military Superpower? | World Defense

Is America Still a Military Superpower?

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
No doubt talk around those always busy coffee nooks and hallways in DC think tanks these past few weeks centered around the question of America’s defense budget. And with various proposals floating around the corridors of power,great conservative think tank studies breaking down U.S. defense needs alongwith a spirited debate concerning the size of various armed forces like the navy, the conversation has certainly been flowing. And so it should,considering the times we live in.

America, in many respects, is a tired and weary superpower. Having fought two long and draining wars in Iraq and Afghanistan after 9/11, many assumed that the nation rightly deserved some sort of “peace dividend.” And there is no doubt this makes sense—heck, it was done after the Cold War, why not now?

After spending trillions of dollars in the Middle East in wars that certainly warranted spirited debate throughout America many assumed that Washington would stay engaged in the world but scale back its military might to something more affordable but still worthy of the title of “superpower.” With superpower interests— the world’s largest economy, treaty allies around the world we have sworn to protect and easy to see global interests like protecting things like the global commons—a superpower military is a must.
pix2_011315_0.jpg

Source: Is America Still a Military Superpower? | The National Interest

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Absolutely. With the truly astounding amount of money we spend on the military per year, you are going to bet that we stay in the game. The US also like to keep itself in a state of constant conflict for some reason.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well at this time one would have to say yes when you look at the other armies. I think the gap is decreasing with the likes of China and Russia stepping up. The US army have not been tested by a professional army since world war 2 and so a conflict with a nation may proof to be interesting.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, the US is still a superpower, however competition is growing in this area. I do not think it is really something we have to worry about though. The US has some of the best, if not most of the best, equipment out there. Other nations like China are building up their own military too, but we had a very big head start on them in getting a large and highly advanced military.

May102014

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
USA
I think US is still having hard power when it comes to Military resources because to think the fact that they have more allies everywhere. Still, they can produce a mass destructive and highly technological weapons and the US government funded its operations and upgrades for billions of dollars. Even though other countries are showing its capabilities of their own Military resources, American Military power still prevails against them.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
The American citizens wanting to pull out of a long war had nothing to do with whether we had the ability to continue fighting the war. We are most definitely still a military superpower without a doubt, but the American people do not feel we should force our men to die under false pretenses. Many Americans felt the war in Iraq was unjustified for this or that reason. Yeah yeah... It is what it is. Politics and ability are two different things.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I guess it depends on how you need one a superpower. In terms of military size and the amount of spending that goes into their war chest, then I'd have to say yes they are.
Some of the decisions in recent history regarding conflict's and how they have handled certain aspects has left a bit to be desired though so in that respect I think their reputation is a little tarnished.
If a country needs to go to war and it needs backing, then the USA is probably the first country they would turn to so I think this says that it still as a massive reputation as a superpower.

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya
As long as the green buck reigns supreme, you can be sure America will continue calling the shots around here. Power is about money and resources, something which America has in plenty.

Pinoy Jade

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
I do believe that america got those super power weaponry. They also have private projects going on about discovery of more advance weaponry for war. And as far as i know, america never decreased the budget on its military

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Lately the events have shown us that US and Russia are still the super powers simply because they have nuclear weapons. We also have China the sleeping giant, better not mess with them either.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
They are definitely a military superpower. It's pretty obvious really, they are at the very top technologically and also very close to the top in numbers that really matter. Aircraft, submarines, aircraft carriers etc.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Yeah, not only they have the best military equipment, but they also export it all over the world. Most importantly, they invest a lot on development so they will never become obsolete.

User911

BANNED
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think it's going to matter if we're a superpower or not in the next two years anyway. BO isn't going to use our military for much of anything no matter how bad things get in this world. I truly hope we make it intact as a nation to the year 2017. Until then, expect the world to grow even more chaotic. He is far, far left individual and thinks that "getting his pretty hands dirty" with a little military action is so, so beneath his "sophisticated" liberal ideology. The fact is, we live in a fallen world and as much as civilized human beings don't like it, we have to deter evil and wrongdoing and a show of force is often the way it gets done. Imagine if our entire police force in the U.S. had to give up all their different types of weapons. Chaos and all different types of crimes would absolutely flourish. It's the same principle on the world stage. Whether we like it or not, sometimes force has to be used to keep the crazies down to a minimum. I truly wish we could find a way to remove violent actions from the world, but we've never been able to do so. Things won't change until Jesus come back.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Interesting avatar there User911, why the US flag and the Israel one?

In fact, why does the US needs to have such a strong military if there aren't currently any active wars? It does make me wonder.

TommyVercetti

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
In fact, why does the US needs to have such a strong military if there aren't currently any active wars? It does make me wonder.
Well it's mostly because military superiority in the 21st century is all about deterrence and power projection. The US spends a lot of money to maintain the numerical and technological superiority of their army for the same reason that there was a nuclear arms race in the Soviet era.

For example, if I told you that the most powerful air force in the world is the US Air Force and the second most powerful is the US Navy, would you not think twice about attacking the US?