Is America the most powerful country in the world? | World Defense

Is America the most powerful country in the world?

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I really do think that their power comes from their people and their top education. America has the best schools. They have the most number of best ones. They have produced the most number of Nobel Prize awardees. In terms of science, they lead. Even the artists from the different parts of the world of different nations flock to America and stay there.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Everything seems to be tied up with America. It looks like if something happens to the world, anywhere, America is expected to react, even if they are not really directly affected. Why is this so? Why couldn't they just shut up if it isn't their matters? Why do they have to interfere most of the time?

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
Singapore
That's a good question.
USA, undoubtedly has military superiority. This in itself is a very important factor because even though we like to think that today's world is peaceful, there are so many wars and skirmishes happening all the time and the countries are heavily dependent on their military to defend themselves. USA is one of the most technologically advanced country in the world and this is mostly because they have enough money to spend. This means that USA has some of the best weaponry in the world, which means military superiority.

If this was not enough, the USA also leads the world in other fields such as higher education (Stanford, MIT, Harvard, UCB etc.) and has Silicon Valley. Now, I love Silicon Valley because it is like the best place for anyone who wants to run a start up and I want to run a start up which means there is a high probability that I'll move there which means more money for USA. USA has some of the highest number of immigrants in the world. Superiority.

Do I need say more?

drirrational

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
The USA certainly thinks of itself as the most powerful country in the world. In terms of military, they're definitely right. The USA could take on any country on the planet in a one-on-one fight, easily. They should, if they're spending as much as they are on military hardware. They also have the largest GDP on the planet (unless you consider the EU to be a country which it isn't), the most Nobel Laureates, most used currency, etc. It's not very good to live in the USA as opposed to Sweden or the like, but Sweden is unquestionably less powerful than the USA. I'd still rather live in Sweden though.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The dollar is the strongest currency so in terms of business it appears so. Everything is valued in dollars or converted and is an international currency. In most countries in Asia if you have US dollars you rarely have to exchange your money into the national currency. In terms of warfare, the US has the most up to date technology and armies and troops, so they are powerful in numbers and equipment.

They shouldn't interfere in other countries matters, but can be asked to intervene or act as a negotiator as Kerry has been. A third party to oversee negotiations can only be by a party stronger than the ones in conflict so they know there will be a body to help enforce terms, that's why it seems the US is sticking its nose it when often they are asked or maybe the only ones capable of helping.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Before I answer this question, I have a question of my own.... are we talking about Americans or the United States? The reason I am asking is... I live on the continent North America, but I am a citizen of the United States. To reference "Americans" that could mean Canada, Mexico, Ecuador.... etc.

Let me assume you are referring to the United States (cause I can't answer for any other country). We get involved because we, majority of the time, are asked to. The governments of problem areas call to us asking for our help in their issues.... why, because of our strong military. Do we want our people there.... HECK NO! But then we also think of the atrocities that occur in many of these areas and we reluctantly go. We either are the solution.... or worse then the problem because we turn our backs on them. So we go and "police" or train as best we can.

This has been occurring since the US entered the first World War and was found to be a very powerful military presence (truth is, we held out until the last second making agreements that made the country wealthy, then went in with fresh soldiers to defeat the enemies whose own reserves were nearly tapped. The we did it again in WWII). As a result, we have been named as a power house and called on in every crisis.

Or so that is my opinion.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Militarily, yes they are. Economically this is also the case. This may not be so for long though as China is obviously making good progress in building up their economy. I don't think anyone can really challenge the US in their military potential though. Putin may want a large army, but he doesn't have those funds to be able to supply them and develop so much technology at the same time.

karmaskeeper

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
The united states is a force to be reckoned with no doubt. As for the most powerful I'd have to say more then likely yes. If we will stay on time remains to be seen. This country needs to be restructured for it on good before it's to late.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Our government really needs to be overhauled. There are too many bad seeds in it. Not to mention... the people need to take back the governance rather then let the Fed's do all the work as has become to norm now. Our system was never perfect but when we started letting go our power, our government began to slip.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
Everything seems to be tied up with America. It looks like if something happens to the world, anywhere, America is expected to react, even if they are not really directly affected. Why is this so? Why couldn't they just shut up if it isn't their matters? Why do they have to interfere most of the time?
Well it's all about power, America wants to police the world, and also gain a lot out it like, resources for one. America should focus on it's own backyard more so than the worlds. We can't even solve simple problems, like jobs.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
Well america took the time to learn or steal ideals from other cultures, that's why people from around the world come to settle in America. Most of the power came from people with a back round not found in America. It's a melting pot and your sure to gain power with various groups of people living in the same area.

karmaskeeper

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
Very true we need to clean around our own door step so to speak. I understand building relations with other nations. Is a good thing, however it shouldn't take center stage. We have so much that needs to be addressed here. Yet nothing is being done why is this?

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I really do think that their power comes from their people and their top education. America has the best schools. They have the most number of best ones. They have produced the most number of Nobel Prize awardees. In terms of science, they lead. Even the artists from the different parts of the world of different nations flock to America and stay there.
LOL! This made me laugh so hard. Best schools and people with top education? The smartest people on this planet are Chinese. Germans even have smarter people than America. America has the money and the military power but China will surpass them within the next 2 decade. No nation stays most powerful for ever and if you know history then you will realize that the American empire like others will fall one day.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
What standards should we use to determine whether or not America is the most powerful country in the world? China has already surpassed the United States as the biggest economy in the world, but as far as military prowess is concerned, China still lags behind. Although the country has large quantities of soldier and equipment, it will take some for them to attain the same firepower as the United States.

dyanmarie25

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
Obviously, United States of America has it all: military/army superiority, largest economy, size of population and land mass, educational standard of most people, and their technology advancement. These are some reasons why USA is such a powerful nation.