Is swimming necessary to join the army? | World Defense

Is swimming necessary to join the army?

vinceasneed

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
There was one big reason I didn't join the military. That is because most branches of the US military require you to swim. I can't swim at all. So I decided not to even try. So I have wondered though, if being in the military was my dream and my desire, what would they do if I didn't know how to swim? Do you they train you? How difficult is what they ask you to do? My thought would be it would just take longer. But it seems like it would be very sad to join and then be kicked out because you can't keep up with the swimming part. Does anyone know anything about this in regards to the US military?

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
I am not the best swimmer either, but if really want to go to the military you can learn how to swim, I guess that in about 6 months., 1 year you are a pretty decent swimmer.

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I am not the best swimmer either, but if really want to go to the military you can learn how to swim, I guess that in about 6 months., 1 year you are a pretty decent swimmer.

If you want it bad enough you got out and get it. They have the right to turn people away if they cannot pass a series of requirements and if swimming is one of those requirements then so be it.

It would be the same if you took an aptitude test and didn't meet the minimum score - they wouldn't let you in. I

n a way they have kind of done you a favor as they have told you that you have something to you need to work on - join up at a local YMCA or Gym that has a pool and practice. In 6 months when you are better at the skill you attempt to enlist again. Don't look at it as a setback, look at it as "they want me to work on something before they take me in." Stay positive!

I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
I'm not sure what US military policies are regarding learning how to swim.

However, in my opinion if someone really wanted to learn to swim they can do it anytime they want. There are a lot of swimming facilities in North America. Once you get over the fear of water, swimming technique should come fairly easily with consistent work. I doubt not being able to swim would limit someone from joining the military for long.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
If that is the only reason keeping you from joining the military, talk to a recruiter about it. I don't think it is something that should hold you back from pursuing the career you are interested in. They will be able to help you get the training you need to be successful.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
There are plenty of "Adults Only" swimming classes around - most leisure centres offer them. Don't be embarrassed about this, it just means that nobody bothered to teach you properly when you were a kid!

I would imagine that some sort of swimming standard would probably be needed but it would be wise to check. In any case, it is worth learning as swimming is an activity you can continue with throughout your whole life. It is much kinder on your joints that high-impact exercise and provides a great all-round workout.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
I didn't realize that that would prevent someone from being able to join parts of the armed forces. I guess the easiest option (if it really is that 'easy') would be to take lessons. Maybe easier said than done, and clearly it's not for everyone. But rules are rules. And if you joined and they found out, my guess is that you could be dismissed.

Guardian

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Coming from someone that served more than 8 years in the Marine Corps, an amphibious force, its not that big of a deal. If you don't know how, they will teach you. Granted, it's not a fun experience, but you will learn. Trial by fire is a beautiful thing. We have a yearly swim qualification, and the minimum abilities required to pass are pretty easy.

As for the other branches, even the Navy, I don't think any of them have swimming requirements.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
There was one big reason I didn't join the military. That is because most branches of the US military require you to swim. I can't swim at all. So I decided not to even try. So I have wondered though, if being in the military was my dream and my desire, what would they do if I didn't know how to swim? Do you they train you? How difficult is what they ask you to do? My thought would be it would just take longer. But it seems like it would be very sad to join and then be kicked out because you can't keep up with the swimming part. Does anyone know anything about this in regards to the US military?

Can you doggie paddle? A friend of mine who was in the Navy told me that they only require that you can doggie paddle. LOL and that is all he can do.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
I believe that when you are passionate about something you will do what it takes to fulfill it . I am sure that if a doctor tells you that the only way you can be healthy is by swimming that you would learn. I do not know about the requirements of the US army but there must be someone in the team who would be happy to teach you how to swim if you have all the other qualities required to serve your nation.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Well said Muthoni. I strongly believe that too. Not to mention, there are hundreds of places you can go to get free or cheap swimming lessons. Don't let something that stop you, over come obstacles!

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
I did not realize swimming was a requirement. Now, swimming is not hard to learn. I can swim. Now, I could not have a military career because I have a birth defect.... actually several. I'm physically unfit for combat. I would fail boot camp day one. However, I can teach you how to swim if you want to learn! That, I can still do.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Swimming is easier on the body when you have birth defects. It is a good no impact way for those who have defects to get the exercise they need with the least amount of stress on their bodies. Don't worry, I'm not going to say "I'm sorry to hear you have a birth defect" because I really don't care that you have defects because your still perfect just as you are and not less capable because you were not quite finished before rushing into the world. :p There are things I'm sure you could still out do me on! LMAO I used to work for the office of Special Services and I have seen those with disabilities that truly amazed me.

Mackmax

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
Military or not, swimming is a very important skill and is pretty necessary. So is riding a bike, but to tell you the truth, I don't know how to ride one. *-*
If the military had great interest in you, they'd probably accept you with the condition that you let them condition you and teach you how to swim. In the military, it isn't just enough to know how to swim, but you have to learn how to swim quickly, how to tread water and hold your breath for a long period of time, and be able to complete tasks and defend yourself in the water. Yes, this can be pretty difficult, but most people don't join the military already knowing how to do this. They get training, and you will too. The first step is learning how to swim.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
If you really want to join the military, you'd really have to work it out your own. They would teach you how to swim of course and more than that they would demand you to be really able to do it well. They will teach you the movements, but to be really proficient at those, you'd have to practice and practice alone with a good coach to correct and improve your technique will make you a good swimmer. But all the effort and the hard work would have to yours, not of anyone else. Whether you have a good instructor or not, it wouldn't be easy.