Is swimming necessary to join the army? | Page 2 | World Defense

Is swimming necessary to join the army?

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
My birth defect is awesome. You can't see it until I do something like trip over air or I have a crazy, spontaneous muscle spasms. My defect is inside my brain and spinal cord. I didn't even know they were there until two years ago. And it explained a whole lot of crazy symptoms when they found them, just chillin on my MRI!

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
All I know is that swimming isn't really required to join the army however, there is a swimming test with full gear on.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
I think the real question here is, if "I can't swim" is your excuse for not giving it a try, then is it really your dream or was it just a temporary idea that crossed your mind. If a small thing like that keeps you from even trying, then it's probably that you didn't really want it in the first place and a good thing that you didn't go.

Twinsmommy31

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
This is not really anything to lose sleep over. When I went through Air Force Basic training , many people didn't even know how to do a push up or a sit up. They give you time and they help you train. I am sure the other branches do the same. You work hard, you train and then you will be a great swimmer. If you want it, you will work hard and make it happen.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
If you want it bad enough you got out and get it. They have the right to turn people away if they cannot pass a series of requirements and if swimming is one of those requirements then so be it.

It would be the same if you took an aptitude test and didn't meet the minimum score - they wouldn't let you in. I

n a way they have kind of done you a favor as they have told you that you have something to you need to work on - join up at a local YMCA or Gym that has a pool and practice. In 6 months when you are better at the skill you attempt to enlist again. Don't look at it as a setback, look at it as "they want me to work on something before they take me in." Stay positive!

I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Pretty much as I think too. There are requirements and the harder ones are physical. We need to be fit for the job and if we want it bad enough we need to practice so that we reach the requirements.

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
Can you doggie paddle? A friend of mine who was in the Navy told me that they only require that you can doggie paddle. LOL and that is all he can do.
Makes sense - its about saving your life if you fall over board, not about winning the Olympics or looking cool. All branches may be deployed on ship - just think or the Normandy Landings - better to make it to the beach head than drown on your way there.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
I think that we have all heard the expression that the best sailors can't swim, but that is hardly the case. Swimming is necessary, it simply might save our life in certain situations.

horse next door

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Germany
If you wanted to join the Army that bad, then you would be going to swimming courses every week. The military, just as any other job, has requirements, and they have the right to decline you.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
If you set your mind to something you will be able to do it. I can see how someone who can't swim can't understand how one can swim in he first place. Even though I don't know if you need to swim to join the US army but I just think it's a useful life skill to have so go get it.

haitch

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I would really recommend learning to swim not just as a skill for the military but also a skill for basic life skills. you never know when it'll come in hand to be able to do it. anyway swimming shouldn't be a too harder skill to learn, especially as an adult. When you have kids, assuming you do, get them to learn how to swim, you will never forget and it is great for your health.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
I think even if you did join the army without that skill, you'll eventually be forced to learn how to swim. It is one of our main tools for survival and it won't matter which branch of the military you choose to join - you will need it.

Urhin

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
8 0 0
Country
Australia
I think the real question here is, if "I can't swim" is your excuse for not giving it a try, then is it really your dream or was it just a temporary idea that crossed your mind. If a small thing like that keeps you from even trying, then it's probably that you didn't really want it in the first place and a good thing that you didn't go.

Some people just don't have the aptitude for swimming. They may even be water phobic and they can't help it. It may not always be a matter of making excuses or being unwilling to work hard at something. That said, this is something only the OP can answer.

@OP: The requirements differ from country to country so I do not know about the US army. Your best source of information will be from a recruitment officer. I'm pretty sure swimming will not be a pre-requisite to signing up for the army, but it is possible that they might want to train you to swim later on in your career. Anyway since you are joining the army and not the marines, I would say that you would most likely be involved primarily in ground operations so I don't see the need for you to know how to swim. But this is just my two-cents. My advice: ask your recruitment officer.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Some people just don't have the aptitude for swimming. They may even be water phobic and they can't help it. It may not always be a matter of making excuses or being unwilling to work hard at something. That said, this is something only the OP can answer.

@OP: The requirements differ from country to country so I do not know about the US army. Your best source of information will be from a recruitment officer. I'm pretty sure swimming will not be a pre-requisite to signing up for the army, but it is possible that they might want to train you to swim later on in your career. Anyway since you are joining the army and not the marines, I would say that you would most likely be involved primarily in ground operations so I don't see the need for you to know how to swim. But this is just my two-cents. My advice: ask your recruitment officer.

Good advice @Urhin. Your absolutly right. Only the recruitment officer can tell you yeah or nah. I can say this though... my father was in the Army and he could not swim. When he and my mother would take me to the pool during the summer.... they both stayed in the shallow end. I asked him once why he made me take swimming classes every summer (got tired of it after I became a junior life guard) he told me "because your mother and I can't swim and if we get in trouble, you have to come save us". So I seriously doubt that the army requires you to know how to swim.

goldenmaine

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Swimming is necessary because as a soldier you have to adapt to different terrains and exposed to the harsh conditions of climates. You can take up swimming lessons if you want. It is fairly easy, especially with the right coach and techniques. You do not have to learn all the swim styles. Learning treading, survival swimming and the crawl or freestyle, I think is enough for you to become good at the swimming part of the training.