Kerry concedes U.S. must talk to Assad to end war

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Kerry concedes U.S. must talk to Assad to end war

e43c991d-6ae6-48fc-9dc7-e0393dd167c7_16x9_600x338.JPG

‘We are increasing our efforts in a very significant way, working with the moderate opposition, but doing much more than that also,’ Kerry said. (File Photo: Reuters)

Agence France Presse, Washington
Sunday, 15 March 2015
The United States will have to negotiate with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to end the civil war now entering its fifth year, Secretary of State John Kerry conceded in an interview that aired Sunday.

"Well, we have to negotiate in the end. We've always been willing to negotiate in the context of the Geneva I process," Kerry said in an interview carried out Saturday.

He stressed Washington was working hard to "re-ignite" efforts to find a political solution to end the war.

The United States helped lead international efforts to kick-start peace talks between Assad and a splintered Syrian opposition, bringing the two sides together in Geneva for the first time early last year.

But after two rounds of talks, the negotiations collapsed in bitter acrimony and no fresh negotiations have been scheduled while the scale of the killing and devastation has mounted.

"Assad didn't want to negotiate," Kerry told CBS television.

"So if he's ready to have a serious negotiation about the implementation of Geneva I, of course, if people are prepared to do that. And what we're pushing for is to get him to come and do that," he replied when asked if he would negotiate with Assad.

More than 215,000 people have been killed and half of the country's population displaced, prompting human rights groups to accuse the international community of "failing Syria."

The country has been carved up by government forces, jihadist groups, Kurdish fighters and the remaining non-jihadist rebels.

"This is one of the worst tragedies any of us have seen on the face of the planet," Kerry said, in an interview recorded in the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.

He insisted that despite the challenge of the U.S.-led fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group that has seized territory in Iraq and Syria, Washington was still focused on ending the Syrian civil war.

"We are increasing our efforts in a very significant way, working with the moderate opposition, but doing much more than that also," Kerry said.

"We're also pursuing a diplomatic track. We have had conversations with a number of different critical players in this tragedy," he said.

Russia, which has close links to Assad, helped initiate the Geneva II talks in 2013, which were aimed at bringing about a political transition based on earlier Geneva I negotiations.

Kerry met in Geneva at the beginning of March with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov to discuss ways of bringing all sides back to the negotiating table.

"We are working very hard with other interested parties to see if we can reignite a diplomatic outcome," Kerry said.

U.S. President Barack Obama "is extremely seized of the issue and focused on it with the intent to see what we can do to change the dynamic."

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/03/15/Kerry-concedes-U-S-must-talk-to-Assad-to-end-Syria-war.html

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Kerry thinks he runs the show? Whether he talks to Assad or not, it won't give the later any legitimacy. Assad has no place in Syria and doesn't have the ability to decide the fate of Syria. Assad only controls 40% of Syrian territories. The rest is controlled by the rebels. If the US is welling to involve itself in the Syrian crisis then it should help arm the rebels with heavy and sophisticated weaponry. Otherwise it should stay out of this.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Kerry thinks he runs the show? Whether he talks to Assad or not, it won't give the later any legitimacy. Assad has no place in Syria and doesn't have the ability to decide the fate of Syria. Assad only controls 40% of Syrian territories. The rest is controlled by the rebels. If the US is welling to involve itself in the Syrian crisis then it should help arm the rebels with heavy and sophisticated weaponry. Otherwise it should stay out of this.

Sunni Muslims lives are cheap. As expected, as soon as Islamic flags appeared amongst opposition, world found that as reason to contain islamists in Syria. Arabs don't learn from history though. This fact doesn't bother any Arab nations, only Arab movements. Once MB takes up arms you'll see how world will react and start believing what I've been telling you the whole time.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Sunni Muslims lives are cheap. As expected, as soon as Islamic flags appeared amongst opposition, world found that as reason to contain islamists in Syria. Arabs don't learn from history though. This fact doesn't bother any Arab nations, only Arab movements. Once MB takes up arms you'll see how world will react and start believing what I've been telling you the whole time.

We demand a military intervention in the unstable parts of the Arab world for the sake of peace and prosperity.

GCC+Jordan+Egypt+Morocco.

We should start with Egypt then Yemen then Syria the Somalia and finally Iraq. And give Israel a time limit to go back to the 76 boundaries or else all of us collectively will force them to.

Iran also give it a vocal warning to stop middling in the Arab affairs or simply face the consequence.

This is should be to ''be or not to be'' kind of formula. I would rather die in a honorable way than dyeing on my comfy bed.

%-)%-)

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
We demand a military intervention in the unstable parts of the Arab world for the sake of peace and prosperity.

GCC+Jordan+Egypt+Morocco.

We should start with Egypt then Yemen then Syria the Somalia and finally Iraq. And give Israel a time limit to go back to the 76 boundaries or else all of us collectively will force them to.

Iran also give it a vocal warning to stop middling in the Arab affairs or simply face the consequence.

This is should be to ''be or not to be'' kind of formula. I would rather die in a honorable way than dyeing on my comfy bed.

%-)%-)

Egypt isn't unstable and needs no intervention, only if Sisi does something stupid like death penalty for MB leaders. In that case I'd side with MB. You're not going to get intervention from Sisi regime. Sisi and his supporters are pro-Assad. Maybe you'll get their support in Yemen thats it. But mostly you will be on your own. Jordanian army is too insignficxant and Egypt can't afford intervention in four different nations. Best bet is to make Islamic volunteer force which is unlikely as most are anti-Islamist. I agree with your point, sooner or later something will get worse for KSA. Because Shia focus a lot on it and it's better to die preventing it rather wait till chaos ensues.

Arab world won't change unless two things:

1. Egyptian chaos forces Saudi Arabia /Gulf Arabs to change

2. Saudi Arabian youth become leaders of Mujahideen(They used to be very important for Islam , if they don't change we will still remain in this era.)

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Egypt isn't unstable and needs no intervention, only if Sisi does something stupid like death penalty for MB leaders. In that case I'd side with MB. You're not going to get intervention from Sisi regime. Sisi and his supporters are pro-Assad. Maybe you'll get their support in Yemen thats it. But mostly you will be on your own. Jordanian army is too insignficxant and Egypt can't afford intervention in four different nations. Best bet is to make Islamic volunteer force which is unlikely as most are anti-Islamist. I agree with your point, sooner or later something will get worse for KSA. Because Shia focus a lot on it and it's better to die preventing it rather wait till chaos ensues.

Arab world won't change unless two things:

1. Egyptian chaos forces Saudi Arabia /Gulf Arabs to change

2. Saudi Arabian youth become leaders of Mujahideen(They used to be very important for Islam , if they don't change we will still remain in this era.)

Sisi isn't going to send MB to death. Some MB supporters were behind killing incidents and the law will be executed upon them but hardly putting MB leaders to death penalty unless they were convicted of something. We fully understand Egypt stance on Syria and that is because their own home is on fire. The Arab league in which Egypt is member of has clearly positioned its view on Syria, kicked out Assad and stated that Assad has no place in Syria.

Yemen is not that threat to Saudi Arabia. Most tribes of Yemen support the stability of Saudi Arabia and standing against Al-houthi.

Egypt certainly has the capacity to play a military role in region. I would add Turkey to the countries @Legend mentioned. Maybe Pakistan as well. But it will be shameful if they do something in Syria, Iraq, Yemen and leave Palestine. LOL. That will put them to shame indeed before all muslim countries.

Last edited:

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Sisi isn't going to send MB to death. Some MB supporters were behind killing incidents and the law will be executed upon them but hardly putting MB leaders to death penalty unless they were convicted of something. We fully understand Egypt stance on Syria and that is because their own home is on fire. The Arab league in which Egypt is member of has clearly positioned its view on Syria, kicked out Assad and stated that Assad has no place in Syria.

Yemen is not that threat to Saudi Arabia. Most tribes of Yemen support the stability of Saudi Arabia and standing against Al-houthi.

Egypt certainly has the capacity to play a military role in region. I would add Turkey to the countries @Legend mentioned. Maybe Pakistan as well. But it will be shameful if they do something in Syria, Iraq, Yemen and leave Palestine. LOL. That will put to shame indeed before all muslim countries.

They will leave Palestine to side. Already know before it happen. :-F