LGBTQ in the military | World Defense

LGBTQ in the military

Urhin

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
8 0 0
Country
Australia
What are your thoughts on allowing LGBTQ individuals to serve in the military?

I know many countries have tried to provide more inclusive ways to allow them to serve, either because they are genuinely trying not to discriminate against sexual preferences, or because of heavy pressure from many LGBTQ activist groups.

But I wonder whether this could create operational problems that hinder the effectiveness of the military. LGBTQ soldiers may not be readily accepted by their peers and could suffer more in the military. They might also introduce sexual politics in unisex units. And there are often fears among military men that other homosexual men may be HIV positive. This might make them unwilling to accept blood transfusion from homosexual men which is often necessary in battlefield situations.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Military recruit people who are physically and mentally fit. Anyone meets the requirement can be accepted to join the military regardless of sexual orientation however, LGBTQ may alter the effectiveness of the military as you just said so its better to think twice on whether they should be accept or deny.

Also what the fuck man, this is abnormal and immoral. LGBTQ people should go seek treatment.

jdzla

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Philippines
LGBTQ soldiers may not be readily accepted by their peers and could suffer more in the military.

Military recruit people who are physically and mentally fit. Anyone meets the requirement can be accepted to join the military regardless of sexual orientation however, LGBTQ may alter the effectiveness of the military as you just said so its better to think twice on whether they should be accept or deny.

Also what the fuck man, this is abnormal and immoral. LGBTQ people should go seek treatment.

If so, then how could the phenomenon of pederasty (that is, men taking younger men as lovers) be explained in Thebes as well as in ancient Greece? This is exemplified by the Sacred Band of Thebes which are a group of male lovers and are the elite forces in the Theban army. More info here: Sacred Band of Thebes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While I do agree that LGBTQ people are a bit abnormal and immoral, I do not see the reason that they cannot be placed in military tasks if they perform physically as adequate as their normal counterparts. This may be a bit of a joke, but I won't mind them going to the battlefield if it suits their purpose.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA

That is ridiculous. They should not have to seek treatment for that.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
A soldier is a soldier regardless of their sexual orientation. Would a gay soldier be unable to shoot the enemy just because they are males? Any enemy irrespective of their gender is an enemy and in war, a soldiers' duty is to kill the enemy. And I'm sure they've done so in the past [when they were in the closet] and they'll still fulfill their obligations [to their countries] in future.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I don't see why a person's sexual orientation should deter them from serving their country. How does being gay or straight affects one's performance in the military? I don't think a persons sexual preference should make them not eligible to serve in any capacity.

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
I don't see why not. As long as they are an effective soldier.

I think homophobia is against the rules of this site.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
The Spartans (who's known for being brutal and deadly) encouraged homosexuality. It would be a benefit if people were more accepting and rational.

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
As long as they are loyal to their country I don't think it's a problem. It doesn't lessen from a soldier's ability to fight effectively, in theory.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see why not. As long as they are an effective soldier.

I think homophobia is against the rules of this site.

It certainly is. From the Terms and Conditions...
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.

Read more: Terms of Service and Rules | World Defense

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
As long as they are loyal to their country I don't think it's a problem. It doesn't lessen from a soldier's ability to fight effectively, in theory.

If only more Muslims were this progressive there would be no ISIS. I think Jordan sets a great example and that all Muslim states should strive to be more like it!

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I don't believe sexual orientation should play into who serves in the military whatsoever. As long as you have high character and can meet the physical requirements you should be allowed to serve in whatever capacity you are qualified and a good fit for. That being said, I don't think people should go around talking about their sexual preferences or look for special privileges based on who they sleep with. It's a subject that shouldn't come up.

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
If only more Muslims were this progressive there would be no ISIS. I think Jordan sets a great example and that all Muslim states should strive to be more like it!
Well Jodanians are very diverse in the way they think about or approach things like this so I may be in the minority.

BigBIgFan

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
The real problem is that being LGBTQ is even disclosed. Does it matter what someone does between the sheets of their own home if they want to be a sniper and have excellent sniper skills? Does it matter who someone is attracted to sexually if they want to be in the navy and are top of their class at their given skill?

I get the same feeling when I watch TV or a movie and the star feels the need to tell everyone what they prefer in bed. If I love their acting and loved the movie or show they were in then what does it matter to me what they do at home? I REALLY wish they would resist the urge to tell the world what they prefer in the sack when it has nothing to do with the show or movie. In fact I specifically do not like a couple of lesbian actresses because EVERY time they are in a movie they give interviews that are heavily anti-men or they try to influence young girls to be experimental.

Anyway, from a military point of view all I care about is if they can do their job. If they don't draw attention to their sexuality intentionally then those who harrass them need to be dealt with for harrassment. If someone isn't carrying their weight they need to be out regardless of sexual orientation and I would gladly serve with a woman too, if she is good at her role.