Mugshot for target practice | World Defense

Mugshot for target practice

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
So, the Miami police department was using mugshots of black suspects for target practice. A National Guard Sergeant saw her brother among the mugshots and pitched a fit. The department has denied any racial profiling and I heard on the radio this morning that they were doing facial recognition drills. So what do you guys think?

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Did the mugshots being used contain just blacks or did it contain other ethnic groups in it also ? Did the mugshots also contain female suspects also ?

If the mugshots didn't contain 50% females, the PD is guilty of gender profiling. They are making the assumption that most violent crimes are commited by men.

How far should political correctness go ?

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
News reports say that there were also groups of white males, Hispanic males and white women. It is highly unethical to use the mugshots of real individuals, especially of those who were yet to be convicted, at a shooting range for police training. However, there is no evidence at this point for any conspiratorial or racist motives behind this misguided practice.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Why not just use a bullseye target? It reminds me of a post i made here last week, where the US soldiers were shooting at a target depicting a Muslim man. I do wonder though, were other profiles being used too, but the media have decided just to report on the black male mugshots? It wouldn't surprise me but it's a pretty irresponsible thing to do if so.

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Why not just use a bullseye target? It reminds me of a post i made here last week, where the US soldiers were shooting at a target depicting a Muslim man. I do wonder though, were other profiles being used too, but the media have decided just to report on the black male mugshots? It wouldn't surprise me but it's a pretty irresponsible thing to do if so.

I haven't personally seen any news reports of this. Deltaforce comments above you, however that "news reports say that there were also groups of white males, Hispanic males and white women." I guess that means it's business as usual for our racially driven news media.

Read more: Mugshot for target practice | World Defense

Mackmax

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I saw the image, and it is absolutely revolting. All of the men in the photos they were using for "target practice" were black. Why are the faces of black men being used for target practice? Actually, why is anyone's face being used for target practice. If an ordinary US citizen were to do this, we'd think they were violent and needed to be locked up, yet when police do it, it is training? Shooting at a picture of a person's face is disgusting and this trains cops to shoot the black men in particular.
What are the people in the photos even being convicted of? Because if they are being trained to shoot at the faces of people who have been arrested for stupid stuff like smoking weed or public nudity, that is a problem in its own.

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
I saw the image, and it is absolutely revolting. All of the men in the photos they were using for "target practice" were black. Why are the faces of black men being used for target practice? Actually, why is anyone's face being used for target practice. If an ordinary US citizen were to do this, we'd think they were violent and needed to be locked up, yet when police do it, it is training? Shooting at a picture of a person's face is disgusting and this trains cops to shoot the black men in particular.
What are the people in the photos even being convicted of? Because if they are being trained to shoot at the faces of people who have been arrested for stupid stuff like smoking weed or public nudity, that is a problem in its own.

After reading your post I went searching. You are right. It is revolting.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think that it's all about racial discrimination. It's probably because of the frequency. It's possible that there are more blacks who committed that crime in that police station, than whites and that it'd be easier, and more appropriate for them to post the white criminal. I mean say that there are 9 out of 10 blacks who committed a crime, and that only one of those 10 is white, wouldn't it be more advisable to take a close watch on the suspicious-looking blacks. Don't mistake this as a form of discrimination. There should be a plausible basis for the displaying of the blacks for the mugshots.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
Apparently, the people in the photos had been convicted of crimes several years ago and already served their sentences. I haven't read anymore news about it. The police chief states the officers used poor judgement, but no harm was meant. It seems like a bit of backpeddling now that everyone is upset about it. I suppose they thought no one was going to come in and tell them what they could and couldn't shoot at during practice.

Mackmax

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
That is still ridiculous. I don't know why the police chief would ever think that this was a good idea, especially when the police are under fire for their brutality and profiling. Whatever happened to the target training dummies? Those also let the officers practice shooting in other places instead of just the head. This could let officers practice shooting to injure instead of shooting to kill.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
This is highly inappropriate no matter what the race of the pictured was. Images of real people should not be used for target practice by any police department within the united states. I hope that whoever was in charge of the targets gets disciplined.

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
This is highly inappropriate no matter what the race of the pictured was. Images of real people should not be used for target practice by any police department within the united states. I hope that whoever was in charge of the targets gets disciplined.

It's not the first time, though. I thought I remembered something like it when I first saw this, so I went looking and came up with this 2013 article about police using real images of pregnant women, children, etc., for purposes of desensitization. Which, of course is what we all want, right?
Desensitized cops?
I can see that they might want to make sure they are not slow to pull the trigger when they need to, but....

Cops conducting target practice on images of children and pregnant women — RT USA

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
I saw this earlier and it got me wondering if the police were trying to spice up their day. Maybe these pictures were the only thing they could have used as target. As long as they do not have ulterior motive, I think that it is fine. There work is stressful enough; let them have their day.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
How this actually happened... I don't know. Even a stupid person should realise that nowadays you can't do ANYTHING like this because the media will jump on it. 100% white targets is fine, anything above 50% black, hispanic, asian etc. is racial discrimination. 100% male would be fine, but over 50% female would be gender discrimination.

In other words, they should just go with a plain white american looking guy for 100% of their targets and they would be completely fine, no one would say a single word.

This is where "political correctness" has gone to nowadays.

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
How this actually happened... I don't know. Even a stupid person should realise that nowadays you can't do ANYTHING like this because the media will jump on it. 100% white targets is fine, anything above 50% black, hispanic, asian etc. is racial discrimination. 100% male would be fine, but over 50% female would be gender discrimination.

In other words, they should just go with a plain white american looking guy for 100% of their targets and they would be completely fine, no one would say a single word.

This is where "political correctness" has gone to nowadays.

If you hit that one any more square on the head it would completely disappear. The whole PC thing today is despicable and appears to be designed to punish white Christian males in particular in the US. Then the females. Then Christians in general.