North Korea | World Defense

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Certainly, this is being done as a slap in the face of South Korea and the South Korean President. It may have been designed to convey a threat, but seems childish to me. I'm a world away, and from what little I know about North Korea, this isn't at all surprising. Park Geun-hye portrait used in North Korea target practice - UPI.com Perhaps it was supposed to show disrespect, but seems more like the action of a child who's been punished, then sticks his/her tongue out at the parent behind his/her back.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
The North Koreans change the image to different world leaders at time and that simply means nothing. They have been going at it with South Korea for the longest while and that conflict doesn't seem to be ending any time soon so just ignore these actions by North Korea.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Just the title alone gives me an impression of the childish ways of North Korean authorities. Maybe they need some tutoring from their Japanese tormentor of old about being polite to the enemy. But nevertheless, that act of using the South Korean president's image for target practice clearly shows how they abhor their neighbor. Isn't it a punishment to themselves and not to the south Koreans?

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I think I actually have heard that before, @Rowe992, about them using pictures of American leaders, but had forgotten it until you mentioned it. It's hard to understand how a person or country could expect to obtain respect while acting so childishly, but perhaps they don't care about respect.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I drew a stick figure representation of my boss once, for target practice. It wasn't a threat, though. It was motivation for me to get a really small pattern. It didn't work. But I was more tolerant of him at work the next day.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
The whole problem with North Korea is that we can always doubt if they are serious when they speak. Take their magic tests of launching a satellite into the space that failed once again. So then.

North Korea did a showdown of their military force for the 70th anniversary of the Workers' Party (can we laugh just a bit for the name of the party, please?), saying that their "revolutionary armament today can deal with any kind of war U.S. imperialists ask for". Okay, United States, fear, they're ready.

The problem of North Korea is that they can be dangerous, given North Korea is a crazy country. Just a little note also: the Workers' Party pilots a lot the military branch given they can choose who is promoted in the army.

Source: North Korea flexes military muscle with 'biggest ever' parade - CNN.com

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
North Korea want to be seen as a nation not to be reckoned with and all of these missile tests, threats and what-not is them trying to prove to the world that they are a powerful nation. It's similar to the kid in class saying he knows someone famous - it's for attention when in fact it's having the opposite effect.

That's not to say that they should be underestimated I mean they have one hell of an army, as in numbers, and they also have quite a lot of hardware. Yes most of it's very outdated by today's standards but it could still cause some problems.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I was surprised yesterday when I saw the news on tv that the Philippines Azkals played football to a 0-0 score with the team of North Korean. And the game was held in Pyongyang. From what I know, it is very difficult to enter North Korea hence it is called hermit country. But if that football game is unprecedented then maybe North Korea is softening up and starting to socialize with the rest of the world.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
North Korea want to be seen as a nation not to be reckoned with and all of these missile tests, threats and what-not is them trying to prove to the world that they are a powerful nation. It's similar to the kid in class saying he knows someone famous - it's for attention when in fact it's having the opposite effect.

That's not to say that they should be underestimated I mean they have one hell of an army, as in numbers, and they also have quite a lot of hardware. Yes most of it's very outdated by today's standards but it could still cause some problems.
They're on that standards only because no one or only few wants to sell them technology. They closed themselves to ensure their presence and their control on the country, but they lack of innovation because they can't trade a lot technologies. I don't know if the party is unable to develop any Research and Development program, or if the policy of other countries to not try to fuel North Korea works even if they have succeeded to find people able to develop new technologies. I don't know if it's the former or the latter, honestly.

But I will agree on the last point: they're creepy, and they are really ready to do anything. I think North Korea can do a stupid thing tomorrow and be a major geopolitical issue.
I was surprised yesterday when I saw the news on tv that the Philippines Azkals played football to a 0-0 score with the team of North Korean. And the game was held in Pyongyang. From what I know, it is very difficult to enter North Korea hence it is called hermit country. But if that football game is unprecedented then maybe North Korea is softening up and starting to socialize with the rest of the world.

I don't think North Korea is trying to socialize, they are still closed enough to not let food come in to keep their pride and their control. Even when the population was hungry.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
Yeah, well they are crazy enough to be dangerous. I am talking about dangerous the world over. The things they do to their own people are dangerous enough. They starve and imprison their own people, so God knows what they are capable of in the rest of the world. Hopefully, they will keep a low profile, but who knows?

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
They're on that standards only because no one or only few wants to sell them technology. They closed themselves to ensure their presence and their control on the country, but they lack of innovation because they can't trade a lot technologies. I don't know if the party is unable to develop any Research and Development program, or if the policy of other countries to not try to fuel North Korea works even if they have succeeded to find people able to develop new technologies. I don't know if it's the former or the latter, honestly.

But I will agree on the last point: they're creepy, and they are really ready to do anything. I think North Korea can do a stupid thing tomorrow and be a major geopolitical issue.

Are they still developing and researching nuclear weapons? I remember at least a couple years ago that they had regular tests of those sorts of weapons but whether it was development and they were just detonating stuff to show they could is open for debate I'd say.

I can imagine the research and development program has a lot of similarities to how Stalin saw it, and that is he saw the main guys behind the programs as traitors to the state and had them locked up and or executed. I can see that being a thing in NK, especially with the previous leader.

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
The whole problem with North Korea is that we can always doubt if they are serious when they speak. Take their magic tests of launching a satellite into the space that failed once again. So then.

North Korea did a showdown of their military force for the 70th anniversary of the Workers' Party (can we laugh just a bit for the name of the party, please?), saying that their "revolutionary armament today can deal with any kind of war U.S. imperialists ask for". Okay, United States, fear, they're ready.

The problem of North Korea is that they can be dangerous, given North Korea is a crazy country. Just a little note also: the Workers' Party pilots a lot the military branch given they can choose who is promoted in the army.

Source: North Korea flexes military muscle with 'biggest ever' parade - CNN.com
LOL that is on point with what you are saying. I think that North Korea has lots of issues of their own with trying to get rid of us. I think they should just give up and go elsewhere. The US is not even worth North Korea's time right now. Even with a big parade That shows their military that is not going to make the US flinch one bit.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
LOL that is on point with what you are saying. I think that North Korea has lots of issues of their own with trying to get rid of us. I think they should just give up and go elsewhere. The US is not even worth North Korea's time right now. Even with a big parade That shows their military that is not going to make the US flinch one bit.
But it proves even more their craziness. Meaning that, any reasonable person, director, president or advisories would tell you quickly that it deserves no purpose and is ridiculous to think and say they can fight against US given their dark age's era they are in. But because they are crazy, they still do it outside of any logic. If the most dangerous people are the bad people being logic, the crazy are still a threat, especially when they are in a heavy number. Take a population panicking: no one can really control it if this a panicking crowd you're going to face.

I wonder what's the true plan. Because after all, maybe all of this is a crazy try to get world's attention. Even if they don't think they can win.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
North Korea ‘faked’ sub-launched missile test footage
116989ab-f583-4f9b-832a-fab9f09d58db_16x9_788x442.jpg

YouTube video appearing to show North Korean submarine launching missile. (Courtesy: YouTube/ Anne Lee)

James Pearson, Reuters Seoul Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Footage of a North Korean submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) test released by Pyongyang two days after it announced it had conducted the country's fourth nuclear test last week was faked, according to an analysis by a California-based think tank.

In defiance of a U.N. ban, the isolated country has said it has ballistic missile technology which would allow it to launch a nuclear warhead from a submarine, although experts and analysis of North Korean state media cast doubt on the claim.

North Korean state television aired footage on Friday of the latest test, said to have taken place in December. Unlike a previous SLBM test in May, it had not been announced at the time.

"The rocket ejected, began to light, and then failed catastrophically," said Melissa Hanham, a senior research associate at the California-based Middlebury Institute's James Martin Centre for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS).

South Korea's military said on Saturday North Korea appeared to have modified the video and edited it with Scud missile footage from 2014 although an official told Reuters that the ejection technology might have improved since the May test.

The CNS analysis shows two frames of video from state media where flames engulf the missile and small parts of its body break away.

"North Korea used heavy video editing to cover over this fact," Hanham said in an email.

"They used different camera angles and editing to make it appear that the launch was several continuous launches, but played side by side you can see that it is the same event".

North Korean propagandists used rudimentary editing techniques to crop and flip old video footage of an earlier SLBM test and Scud missile launch, the video analysis showed.

The North's claim that its fourth and most recent nuclear test, conducted last Wednesday, was of a more advanced and powerful hydrogen bomb has drawn skepticism from the U.S. government and experts.

It is also unclear if North Korea has developed a nuclear device small enough to mount on a missile.

Last Update: Tuesday, 12 January 2016 KSA 09:20 - GMT 06:20
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/asia/2016/01/12/North-Korea-faked-sub-launched-missile-test-footage-.html

Rodrigo Menezes

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Portugal
This is very disturbing. I normally don't believe every and anything I see/hear in the news, because they are "transfigured" to favour countries or parties. All a matter of interest and gambling with the cards you don't see they have.
But yes, North Korea could have done this. They faked it because they wanted to see what type of reaction they'd get.