Nuclear Free World? | World Defense

Nuclear Free World?

vinceasneed

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Countries talk about the need to get rid of nuclear missiles. This would they say eliminate the chance of having a nuclear war that could destroy the world. But it seems clear that no one will ever let this happen. People are too paranoid and will always keep their weapons. They will want those missiles as a deterrent. So the chance of a nuclear missile free world is to me impossible at this point.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think you're right. Although a nuclear free world would be possible if governments were co-operating with each other. There are reasons these countries have nuclear weapons in the first place, that's easy to forget.

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
Yeah I don't ever see all the world powers sitting down on a table and agreeing to get rid of all their nuclear weapons. Even if they did agree to it, most of them wouldn't actually do it. This is because, as you said, they will be paranoid and will suspect the others of not destroying their weapons, and so it is an endless cycle of power and authority.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Someone already started the nuclear trend - a superpower country to boot - so it's bound to remain a reality until another influential player in world affairs gets to invent a more powerful weapon centuries from now. Everyone's using nuclear to intimidate their enemies. It won't be for long before they use these weapons to hold another country for ransom.

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
A nuclear free world is pretty much a pipe dream of those that wish they were gone. Admittedly, they are the most horrifying weapons ever made by man. However, they have prevented another World War because the big countries would darn not risk employing them operationally.

So, I don't see it happening in our life time. Is the nuclear deterrence a good or bad thing? Well, that is a matter of debate. ;)

User911

BANNED
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
It is foolish to think that it would ever be wise to get rid of all nuclear weapons. Why? Because that would mean that everyone would trust everybody else to tell the truth when they reported they had gotten rid of their cache of weapons. Can you imagine trying to trust North Korea or Cuba or Iran or a host of other countries to tell the truth? Hah. Unfortunately, as long as mankind indulges in evil there will always be somebody who wants to destroy someone else. I wish that wasn't so, but that is how the world has always been.

Kjordo711

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
It is not only that they are paranoid, but it is because there are countries like Iran working vigorously for their nuclear program. If all the other countries decided to dispose of their nuclear devices and suddenly Iran has one, well then it will be a serious problem. For reasons like this, and because countries never trust each other enough and need their nuclear bombs and missiles as a deterrent, I really don't see this world ever becoming nuclear free.

They are some of the most powerful weapons in the world, and that is something countries really don't want to give up. Israel, especially being in the center of so much conflict, would not want to get rid of theirs. I hate to bring it up again, but with Iran developing nukes like there is no tomorrow is another reason for Israel to keep theirs. Because we know that Iran will probably never play friendly with Israel and if Iran were to figure out how to make an atom bomb, or even worse, a hydrogen bomb, the world would become a much scarier place.

dyanmarie25

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
A nuclear-free world is not going to happen right now, or in the coming years. We all know that there will always be people who will resort to violence and terrorism anytime. Sad but true.

goldenmaine

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
As long as one of the other has this weapon, most countries would not give up their missiles because it would mean a decrease in their defense and military power. These talks and meetings about giving up the weapons are pointless because nations are too prideful to give in to the order of each other. In these peace times it is not that scary to imagine nuclear weapons, but when an unfortunate war may start. these will be definitely used and that scares the hell out of me.

Coltodor

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
The knowledge of how to make one is still there even if all the nukes disappear. What matter is preventing conflicts between countries to prevent them from being used. It look like nukes are here to stay.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Because many nations don't trust or like each other that much anyone thinking that an agreement to destroy all nuclear weapons would be honored is delusional. Everyone will rightly believe that their enemies would keep a number of nukes just in case . . . and they too for that same reason would only make a show of destroying their nukes. I suppose that's why nukes are here to stay.

UnslaadKrosis

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
India
Nuclear free world? Never going to happen. Not because no one wants it to happen, but it's more like every country is morbidly paranoid that once it gives up on Nuclear Missiles, the other countries can easily topple it. In this world, no single country trusts another country. Even its allies.

And either way, even if nuclear missiles are ditched by the world, countries will proceed to make more powerful and potentially more devastating weapons for themselves. With the advancement of technology, the military sector will only grow in sophistication and power, not the other way round.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Countries talk about the need to get rid of nuclear missiles. This would they say eliminate the chance of having a nuclear war that could destroy the world. But it seems clear that no one will ever let this happen. People are too paranoid and will always keep their weapons. They will want those missiles as a deterrent. So the chance of a nuclear missile free world is to me impossible at this point.
Not going to happen. Countries are now building mini-nukes. Why? because they will cause less damage. That makes me laugh.
What this means is that we are going to see more and more nukes being used during wars, because they will smaller. And the moment a single country declares they have that capability, you can believe that every other nuclear state will want to get one, build one or buy one too.

rz3300

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Well we can all certainly dream, but I think that the ship has sailed on an nuclear free world. The technology exists, and that is pretty much that. When money and power and influence and status and wealth are all at play, there is really no telling as to what can happen when things into people's hands, and this is no different. The question is can we contain ourselves?

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Of course that world without nuclear bombs would be a better place because sooner or later someone will use them and even the testing is not very environment friendly. I guess people are paranoid and even if they agree to this everyone would have some back up underground nuclear head. Another thing that crossed my mind is that if an asteroid would come to collide with earth we would be in need for a bomb of that power to try to destroy it. I am aware that nothing will prevent our stupidity to get to the world's end but it is a good idea and a start.