Pakistan Army Aviation Possible acquisitions | Page 6 | World Defense

Pakistan Army Aviation Possible acquisitions

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
But having 12 vipers doesn't make sence?either procure more and make reasonable number along Z10ME that's only way PAA exit the T129
I think T129 will be unavailable to PAA until Turks have an alternative engine. If US is OK to supply Pakistan with the zulus, they will actively discourage engines for T129.
We have the approvals, only sticking point is financing.
US used similar tactics in the 90s with South African Rooivalk was coming up. It was an awesome dedicated gunship platform built by the South Africans using Puma as foundation. However they lacked a good long range anti tank missile at that time. US prohibited integrating Hellfire integration with the platform as it directly competed with Apaches at a much lower cost. By the time Denel developed Mokopa, customers had moved on to Apaches or Tigers for their anti tank helo needs.

So for us it will be either AH-1Zs or Z-10MEs in the near future. I don't see an alternative engine for T129 for the next 2 years min.

Scorpio

Reactions
3,018 66 0
Country
Pakistan
But having 12 vipers doesn't make sence?either procure more and make reasonable number along Z10ME that's only way PAA exit the T129
We are noy getting original 12 vipers at first, at this what advantage of adding more in count

Scorpio

Reactions
3,018 66 0
Country
Pakistan
I think T129 will be unavailable to PAA until Turks have an alternative engine. If US is OK to supply Pakistan with the zulus, they will actively discourage engines for T129.
We have the approvals, only sticking point is financing.
US used similar tactics in the 90s with South African Rooivalk was coming up. It was an awesome dedicated gunship platform built by the South Africans using Puma as foundation. However they lacked a good long range anti tank missile at that time. US prohibited integrating Hellfire integration with the platform as it directly competed with Apaches at a much lower cost. By the time Denel developed Mokopa, customers had moved on to Apaches or Tigers for their anti tank helo needs.

So for us it will be either AH-1Zs or Z-10MEs in the near future. I don't see an alternative engine for T129 for the next 2 years min.
I don't understand why dont TAI can got for British engines which was used in A129 origin parent of T129

Last edited:

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
I don't understand why dont TAI can got for British engines which was used in A129 origin parent of T129
most probably Gems are no longer being built (old 1970s design). But I agree Turks should have had an alternative in mind especially with their somewhat prickly relationship with the US recently.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Agusta A129 Mangusta (parent of T129)
Still in production uses 2 × Rolls-Royce Gem 2-1004D (license built by Piaggio) turboshaft engines, 664 kW (890 hp)
why cant TAI uses same variant or its modified version for TAi T129 ?
Maybe inadequate power for the helo? 1400shp vs 900shp is 40% lower. T129 is uprated version of Mangusta with better armor and increased payload (hellfire vs tow). Also keep in mind hot/high conditions we encounter in Pakistan.

EDIT: I take that back. It seem Italian Mangustas were upgraded with a better version of RR Gem engines. I could have sworn they went with T700 engines same as blackhawks.

In January 2002, AgustaWestland was awarded a contract to upgrade the first 45 to the multirole standard.

The upgrade included: five-blade composite main rotor and two-blade tail rotor, Rolls-Royce Gem 1004 engines, new stronger transmission with a torque of 1,700shp, strengthened fuselage giving an increase in take-off weight to 4,600kg, improved weapons systems including Oto Melara 197B 20mm nose-mounted cannon and the Stinger air-to-air missiles, new FLIR (forward-looking infrared) system, improved countermeasures suite including EADS AN / AAR-60 missile launch detector and new global positioning / inertial navigation (GPS / INS) system. Deliveries concluded in July 2008

Last edited:

Mingle

Reactions
1,813 8 0
Country
Pakistan
Maybe inadequate power for the helo? 1400shp vs 900shp is 40% lower. T129 is uprated version of Mangusta with better armor and increased payload (hellfire vs tow). Also keep in mind hot/high conditions we encounter in Pakistan.

EDIT: I take that back. It seem Italian Mangustas were upgraded with a better version of RR Gem engines. I could have sworn they went with T700 engines same as blackhawks.

In January 2002, AgustaWestland was awarded a contract to upgrade the first 45 to the multirole standard.

The upgrade included: five-blade composite main rotor and two-blade tail rotor, Rolls-Royce Gem 1004 engines, new stronger transmission with a torque of 1,700shp, strengthened fuselage giving an increase in take-off weight to 4,600kg, improved weapons systems including Oto Melara 197B 20mm nose-mounted cannon and the Stinger air-to-air missiles, new FLIR (forward-looking infrared) system, improved countermeasures suite including EADS AN / AAR-60 missile launch detector and new global positioning / inertial navigation (GPS / INS) system. Deliveries concluded in July 2008

If US releases current vipers then PAA should procure more along CSF and deadlines also look used whiskey cobras. Then on the otherside putt more Z10 ME in good numbers

Caprxl

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,401 66 0
Country
Pakistan
View attachment 13379
View attachment 13378

& Brother posted it in PAA Possible Acquisitions thread. You never disappoint in keeping us intrigued >|

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
zulu 3 - Copy.JPG
zulu 1 - Copy.JPG
zulu 2 - Copy.JPG

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Has the PAF IL78 departed DC?
It can't be just parked there for 2 weeks?