Picture of The Day

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
r

Reuters / Wednesday, December 31, 2014
Fireworks explode during New Year's celebrations in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, January 1, 2015. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic

r

People watch fireworks exploding over Copacabana beach during New Year celebrations at the Pavao Pavaozinho slum in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, January 1, 2015. REUTERS/Mauro Pimentel

r

Fireworks explode behind the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben on the River Thames during New Year celebrations in London January 1, 2015. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
r

Fireworks explode over the temple of the Parthenon atop the Acropolis hill during New Year's day celebrations in Athens, Greece, January 1, 2015. REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis

r

Confetti falls on revelers at midnight during New Year celebrations outside the Philippine Arena in Bocaue town, Bulacan province, north of Manila, Philippines, January 1, 2015. REUTERS/Ezra Acayan

r

Fireworks light the sky over the Kremlin's Spasskaya (Saviour) Tower, covered by scaffolding, during celebrations of New Year's Day in Red Square in Moscow, Russia, January 1, 2015. REUTERS/Tatyana Makeyeva

r

Schoolchildren's New Year performance "We Are the Happiest in the World" is given at the Central Youth Hall on the occasion of the New Year, December 31, in this photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang December 31, 2014. REUTERS/KCNA

r

Light and laser illuminate the Lujiazui financial district of Pudong in Shanghai, China, during a light show as part of a New Year countdown celebrations on the Bund in Shanghai January 1, 2015. REUTERS/Aly Song

r

A Free Syrian Army fighter sprays graffiti on a wall prior to the new year in Aleppo, Syria, December 31, 2014. REUTERS/Jalal Al-Mamo

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
r

Schoolchildren's New Year performance "We Are the Happiest in the World" is given at the Central Youth Hall on the occasion of the New Year, December 31, in this photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang December 31, 2014. REUTERS/KCNA

r

Light and laser illuminate the Lujiazui financial district of Pudong in Shanghai, China, during a light show as part of a New Year countdown celebrations on the Bund in Shanghai January 1, 2015. REUTERS/Aly Song

r

A Free Syrian Army fighter sprays graffiti on a wall prior to the new year in Aleppo, Syria, December 31, 2014. REUTERS/Jalal Al-Mamo

r

Fireworks light up the Sydney Harbour Bridge during the annual fireworks display to usher in the new year, early January 1, 2015. REUTERS/Jason Reed

r

Spectators on boats are silhouetted as fireworks shower down from the Sydney Harbour Bridge in Australia, during the annual fireworks display to usher in the new year, early January 1, 2015. REUTERS/Jason Reed

r

Crowds watch and take photographs as fireworks light up the Sydney Harbour Bridge during the annual fireworks display January 1, 2015. REUTERS/David Gray

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
r

People pray during ceremonies bidding farewell to 2014, ahead of New Year's Day, at the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo December 31, 2014. REUTERS/Thomas Peter

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
world-in-pic-3.jpg

An Indian homeless man stands in a garden on a cold and foggy morning in New Delhi

Chandan Khanna/AFP/Getty Images

world-in-pic-26.jpg

A protester holds a placard as she stands next to Israeli soldiers during a protest against Israeli settlements in Beit Fajjar town south of the West Bank city of Bethlehem

REUTERS/ Mussa Qawasma

world-in-pic-12.jpg

A Palestinian protester, dressed as Santa Claus, uses a slingshot to return a tear gas canister fired by Israeli troops during clashes following a demonstration against Jewish settlements in the West Bank village of Bilin, near Ramallah

REUTERS/Mohamad Torokman

galmal

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
The photos are certainly graphic and compelling. Thanks for posting. So many of them show the violence in our world. Living in the US, we take for granted the freedoms we enjoy. Most importantly, the luxury of living in peace. It's hard for me to imagine what so many people around the world deal with on a daily basis.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Such beauty in the art of photography, but such chaos in reality. What would you choose? There's a beauty in art, but that beauty is only justified when art evokes the emotions you would feel in reality without having you to experience the reality. Art is only beautiful when it becomes it has the ability to evoke the feelings the same that you would feel with the presence of actual reality. And so I say that the pictures were beautiful because they make me sad and feel scared. At the same time, they make me feel like I must do something and be a hero in my own way, which how is not yet within my knowledge. By looking at the pictures, something gets into my mind that there must be something even so little that I must contribute to keep the fight worth it, but more than it, to stop them, to bring world and maintain world peace.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I love the shot of the protester slinging back a gas canister. It really makes you stop and think about the people who are still fighting through the holiday season. Our thoughts should go out to them, and their families, that they can remain safe.

starburstlateral

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Ireland
Ah, technology...

The Kevo key technology impresses me more than that horrible monstrosity of a car. It's almost as though they're trying to emulate Minority Report... also, suicide-doors? I thought they had gone-out with the RX-8, though I'm obviously wrong, they're making a comeback.

Out of the majority of the gallery I think the NK one does it for me. I know it's not really celebrated as 2015 in NK (...correct me if I'm wrong...), more so the "X" year since Kim Il Sung's birth(?), but the fevor and immersiveness of their celebrations really were enviable. Yes, I know the country is ran like a religious hermit island, and it's unfortunate.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
Wow. The images show the devastation and the great beauty that is present simultaneously throughout the world. The image where they were killing the man in the street is so vivid for me. They were not trying to hide it. It makes you wonder why and who the killer was and what was happening in that village. Then, all the new year photos show so much hope. We can only wait and see what this year brings.

mylindaelliott

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
Very nice picture of the mommy bear and her cubs. They must have been wet earlier and she decided there was a better way. Do you have more?

ignite1hp

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I love the fact that such a serious forum has people posting pictures of bears haha. This absolutely made my day. I wonder who took this photo and what they were thinking. I would love to be in the photographer's shoes in this situation. Photography has always interested me and I really wish I would have gotten into it back in the day. Anyway, great picture, feel free to post up more!

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Which country was the first photo taken, the one with the bears? I would guess that they are from somewhere in Africa. Africa may not be a well-off country, but it's got that great potential for tourism because of their endemic creatures and not yet urbanised city which makes one feels as living in a beautiful past during which everything was natural and the environment was more naturally pleasing to live with. Aside from its environment, Africa also has a very beautiful culture, their love for one another which we can only barely see anywhere else.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
r

Reuters / Sunday, January 25, 2015
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Special Envoy Angelina Jolie meets members of the Yazidi minority in Khanke internally displaced person (IDP) Camp in Dohuk, northern Iraq January 25, 2015. REUTERS/UNHCR/Andrew McConnell

r

People hug outside a Home Depot store following a shooting in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood of New York, January 25, 2015. Two people were killed after a shooting in the store in what appears to be a murder-suicide, two New York Police Department (NYPD) spokesmen said. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
r

Om Mohamad, a woman who fled her home in Al-Bayada neighbourhood of Homs to live in her daughter's house in Bsida, works on building a house from debris and metal of her daughter's collapsed house after it was destroyed in Bsida village, southern Idlib countryside, Syria, January 24, 2015. RE

r

President Barack Obama and India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi (R) talk as they have coffee and tea together in the gardens of Hyderabad House in New Delhi, India, January 25, 2015. REUTERS/Jim Bourg

r

A Red Crescent member inspects a damaged site after what activists said were air strikes by forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad in Douma eastern Al-Ghouta, near Damascus January 25, 2015. REUTERS/Bassam Khabieh