President Obama starts two-day Kenya visit | World Defense

President Obama starts two-day Kenya visit

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
President Obama starts two-day Kenya visit - BBC News

Barack Obama has arrived in Kenya on the first visit to his ancestral home as serving US president.

During his two-day visit Mr Obama will hold talks with Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and other top officials.

Trade will feature strongly, but Mr Obama also said he would deliver a "blunt message" to African leaders about gay rights and discrimination.

The trip to Kenya and then Ethiopia is also designed to show US commitment to fighting terror in East Africa.

Kenya means a lot to President Obama - here they call it his homecoming - and he has both his heritage and his legacy to consider late in his final term.

His first engagement is a global entrepreneurial summit - better business and trade, not aid, are how he sees many Africans lifting themselves out of poverty.

But security remains America's top priority while al-Shabaab can still kill students in their dormitories. And just two years after the Westgate shopping centre attack, security co-operation will dominate discussions.

Mr Obama has promised tough talking on good governance, human rights and corruption.

President Kenyatta's International Criminal Court indictment has been dropped, but his deputy is still facing charges over post-election violence. What's more, he's warned America not to lecture Kenyans on gay rights.

The interaction could be awkward, and with rights firmly on the American agenda there may be more to this trip than just smiles and photo opportunities.

Mr Obama expanded on his hopes for the Africa trip in a wide-ranging interview with the BBC's North America editor Jon Sopel before he left Washington. President Obama also said:

* His failure to pass "common sense gun safety laws" in the US was the greatest frustration of his presidency
* The UK must stay in the EU to have influence on the world stage
* He is confident the Iran nuclear deal will be passed by Congress
* Syria needs a political solution in order to defeat the Islamic State group
* Despite racial tensions, the US is becoming more diverse and more tolerant.
This is Mr Obama's fifth trip to Africa as president, but despite his close family links to Kenya, he has faced criticism in some African countries over the legalisation of gay marriage in the US.

However, the president told the BBC he would not fall silent on the issue.

The US leader also agreed that some African governments, including Kenya's, needed to improve their records on human rights and democracy.

However, he defended his decision to engage with and visit those governments.

"Well, they're not ideal institutions. But what we found is, that when we combined blunt talk with engagement, that gives us the best opportunity to influence and open up space for civil society."

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
Well he may be an expert on homosexual affairs and whatever he considers human rights issues, but I wonder how he will help them pull themselves out of poverty? Considering the lousy state he's leaving our country in, I would advise them to run!

Reactions
23 0 0
Country
USA
Well he may be an expert on homosexual affairs and whatever he considers human rights issues, but I wonder how he will help them pull themselves out of poverty? Considering the lousy state he's leaving our country in, I would advise them to run!
Considering that the US under Obama is prospering better than any other nation in the world (despite Republican efforts to scuttle our economy), he can give very good economic advice.
Obviously, President Obama does not consider human rights to be limited to wealthy, white, homophobic racists. In the last few years America has made enormous strides in dealing with human rights, but we obviously need to make more progress in ensuring that our police are not trying to follow policies idealized by Goebbels. The widespread use of fatal take-down moves to deal with inconsequential infractions must end. The concept that civilians must without question follow un-constitutional and immoral orders must be outlawed in all states. Broken-windows policing is straight out of the SS playbook.

It is touching to see his relations with his African relatives. Better than a Mansion in Kennebunkport.

Last edited:

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
The president of Kenya had warned US president Obama not to lecture gay rights in Kenya. Huh, that's a strong one and I guess it's only right because advocacy groups, once encouraged, would go to great lengths with their advocacy. I'm basing that comment on the experience here about advocacy groups who are now party list groups -- has a seat in congress.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
The president of Kenya had warned US president Obama not to lecture gay rights in Kenya. Huh, that's a strong one and I guess it's only right because advocacy groups, once encouraged, would go to great lengths with their advocacy. I'm basing that comment on the experience here about advocacy groups who are now party list groups -- has a seat in congress.
It doesn't matter to Obama that another country's leaders may not want advice from him. He thinks he has some God-given right to do anything he wants, anywhere he wants. As usual, he is an embarrassment.
To Thomas Pendrake: The U.S. economy is the best in the world, for now, in SPITE of Obama. He has done everything he could to redistribute wealth and destroy the free market. The Republicans, whom I can't stand, btw, have been totally ineffectual against him!

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
It doesn't matter to Obama that another country's leaders may not want advice from him. He thinks he has some God-given right to do anything he wants, anywhere he wants. As usual, he is an embarrassment.
To Thomas Pendrake: The U.S. economy is the best in the world, for now, in SPITE of Obama. He has done everything he could to redistribute wealth and destroy the free market. The Republicans, whom I can't stand, btw, have been totally ineffectual against him!

Pardon me for intruding in your political affairs. But I usually read so many negative things against your president Obama even before his re-elections. I just wonder what made him re-elected. And as a segue, who do you think is the worthy candidate of the Republicans that would have a good fighting chance with the democrat's supposed candidate - Hillary Clinton. Just your personal opinion.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
Pardon me for intruding in your political affairs. But I usually read so many negative things against your president Obama even before his re-elections. I just wonder what made him re-elected. And as a segue, who do you think is the worthy candidate of the Republicans that would have a good fighting chance with the democrat's supposed candidate - Hillary Clinton. Just your personal opinion.
My personal opinion...Donald Trump would make a good president, because he knows how the economy should work. He worked his way up from the bottom, and he understands that just throwing money at people doesn't create wealth. Taking government regulations off of businesses, so that they can hire MORE people, is what creates wealth. When you have a healthy middle class, that is, most people working, the economy flourishes. If the government gets involved, like the Environmental Protection Agency, and forces businesses to pay a lot of money to stay in business, businesses can't hire as many people, so you have a lot of people out of work. The EPA is just one example of how our economy has been ruined. The government is involved in food, housing and a lot of other things that the US government was never meant to be involved in, so prices continue to rise. I think Donald Trump will work on these problems.

GeeCee

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
To be honest I wasn't surprised when I heard about Obama's gay right remarks in Kenya. Kenya is predominately Christian in it's beliefs. Estimates are that 80% of the nation is Christian. So why would we expect this man to act any differently than he does at home? Whether he's here or somewhere else, he's going to do his best to undermine anything that has something to do with belief in God.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
WOW! If someone put that pic of the orangutan up beside Obama's pic, they'd be branded a racist! Seriously they would!
I may not like the crassness of Donald Trump's comments either, but I'm tired of political "niceness," and mincing words on vitally important matters, like the ones we're faced with now. Trump has about as much tact as Teddy Roosevelt and "Give 'em hell Harry Truman," And like them, he's a refreshing change from the same old BS.- spewing politicians.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
President Obama starts two-day Kenya visit - BBC News

Barack Obama has arrived in Kenya on the first visit to his ancestral home as serving US president.

During his two-day visit Mr Obama will hold talks with Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and other top officials.

Trade will feature strongly, but Mr Obama also said he would deliver a "blunt message" to African leaders about gay rights and discrimination.

The trip to Kenya and then Ethiopia is also designed to show US commitment to fighting terror in East Africa.

Kenya means a lot to President Obama - here they call it his homecoming - and he has both his heritage and his legacy to consider late in his final term.

His first engagement is a global entrepreneurial summit - better business and trade, not aid, are how he sees many Africans lifting themselves out of poverty.

But security remains America's top priority while al-Shabaab can still kill students in their dormitories. And just two years after the Westgate shopping centre attack, security co-operation will dominate discussions.

Mr Obama has promised tough talking on good governance, human rights and corruption.

President Kenyatta's International Criminal Court indictment has been dropped, but his deputy is still facing charges over post-election violence. What's more, he's warned America not to lecture Kenyans on gay rights.

The interaction could be awkward, and with rights firmly on the American agenda there may be more to this trip than just smiles and photo opportunities.

Mr Obama expanded on his hopes for the Africa trip in a wide-ranging interview with the BBC's North America editor Jon Sopel before he left Washington. President Obama also said:

* His failure to pass "common sense gun safety laws" in the US was the greatest frustration of his presidency
* The UK must stay in the EU to have influence on the world stage
* He is confident the Iran nuclear deal will be passed by Congress
* Syria needs a political solution in order to defeat the Islamic State group
* Despite racial tensions, the US is becoming more diverse and more tolerant.
This is Mr Obama's fifth trip to Africa as president, but despite his close family links to Kenya, he has faced criticism in some African countries over the legalisation of gay marriage in the US.

However, the president told the BBC he would not fall silent on the issue.

The US leader also agreed that some African governments, including Kenya's, needed to improve their records on human rights and democracy.

However, he defended his decision to engage with and visit those governments.

"Well, they're not ideal institutions. But what we found is, that when we combined blunt talk with engagement, that gives us the best opportunity to influence and open up space for civil society."

I think that Obama should leave his visits to Kenya after he leaves the White House. I mean we certainly have more pressing issues in this country than his desire to explore his roots and his African heritage. I really like President Obama...and I am in the minority I realize, but this visit to Kenya at taxpayer expense was unneccessary and at tax payer expense no doubt.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
I think that Obama should leave his visits to Kenya after he leaves the White House. I mean we certainly have more pressing issues in this country than his desire to explore his roots and his African heritage. I really like President Obama...and I am in the minority I realize, but this visit to Kenya at taxpayer expense was unneccessary and at tax payer expense no doubt.
I agree about exploring his ancestral roots. I'd love to do that myself, but if I can ever afford it, it will be on MY dime, not the taxpayers'. I freely admit that I can't stand Obama. One of the major reasons I detest him is because of all the frivolous spending that he and Michelle have done, while people in America can't even find jobs!

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
My personal opinion...Donald Trump would make a good president, because he knows how the economy should work. He worked his way up from the bottom, and he understands that just throwing money at people doesn't create wealth. Taking government regulations off of businesses, so that they can hire MORE people, is what creates wealth. When you have a healthy middle class, that is, most people working, the economy flourishes. If the government gets involved, like the Environmental Protection Agency, and forces businesses to pay a lot of money to stay in business, businesses can't hire as many people, so you have a lot of people out of work. The EPA is just one example of how our economy has been ruined. The government is involved in food, housing and a lot of other things that the US government was never meant to be involved in, so prices continue to rise. I think Donald Trump will work on these problems.

Gee, this is the first time I have encountered a post (in so many forums that I had visited) that praises Donald Trump. No offense to you. So maybe the survey is now moving forward and if indeed Mr. Trump would be the official candidate of the Republican, I guess elections would be dynamic. I can imagine a debate pitting the guts of Mr. Trump with the guts of Hillary Clinton (in case she is selected by the Democrats).

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I think that Obama should leave his visits to Kenya after he leaves the White House. I mean we certainly have more pressing issues in this country than his desire to explore his roots and his African heritage. I really like President Obama...and I am in the minority I realize, but this visit to Kenya at taxpayer expense was unnecessary and at tax payer expense no doubt.
Obama's African trip had nothing to do with exploring his roots. Though most people may not readily admit it, he's on official business — meet the leaders, talk business, security, etc. Apart from that, he's expected to meet the feuding leaders of Southern Sudan hoping that he can convince them to end the bloodshed in their country. Wouldn't anyone call that a noble goal? What's the cost of a human life? If he accomplishes his objective that would taxpayers money well spent. Oh wait . . . one is of value only if he's American?

Considering the fact that there's so much he has do and has but little time to do it all I doubt he'll have any time left to explore his roots.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
Obama's African trip had nothing to do with exploring his roots. Though most people may not readily admit it, he's on official business — meet the leaders, talk business, security, etc. Apart from that, he's expected to meet the feuding leaders of Southern Sudan hoping that he can convince them to end the bloodshed in their country. Wouldn't anyone call that a noble goal? What's the cost of a human life? If he accomplishes his objective that would taxpayers money well spent. Oh wait . . . one is of value only if he's American?

Considering the fact that there's so much he has do and has but little time to do it all I doubt he'll have any time left to explore his roots.
I certainly didn't see it said or implied that "...one is of value only if he's American." I'm not even sure where that came from! Unfortunately, Obama's "official business" has already included pissing off a country that is predominantly Christian, by telling them that some of their stances on morality are wrong. The arrogance of the man knows no boundaries! I just don't see him as the all-encompassing Messianic figure, whose presence anywhere will make a positive difference.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Back to where he came from. The man is a jock period.