Saudi Arabia intends to invest $150 billion in developing and expanding its military strength | World Defense

Saudi Arabia intends to invest $150 billion in developing and expanding its military strength

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I haven't heard such thing in the local news!

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
@Gasoline @Scorpion he is right! if you simply calculate the deals that are already signed then you add to it the new deals that saudi intend to sign its going to reach that number.
saudi is going to invest highly on defense! no doubt about that. appointing the CEO of SABIC to become the head of MIC is a sign that shows the direction the saudi government intends to take.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
@Gasoline @Scorpion he is right! if you simply calculate the deals that are already signed then you add to it the new deals that saudi intend to sign its going to reach that number.
saudi is going to invest highly on defense! no doubt about that. appointing the CEO of SABIC to become the head of MIC is a sign that shows the direction the saudi government intends to take.

With all the deal made so far noway it reaches $150 billion.

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
With all the deal made so far noway it reaches $150 billion.
add to it future deals it will. easily. btw you do know that not all this money is weapon ? it includes building infrastructure and so on. we are already committed to most of that money. so the rest is coming and dont forget that the new government has a new vision for the military future. and they still didnt start signing major deals.
and btw nawaf obaid is close to the government and worked with them on the future military needs of the kingdom.
by worked with them i mean as a political researcher. so he sat with top officers and officials and thats where he got the numbers from.

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
watch this guys. there are some info here. but bear in mind this is 1 year old

Saudi Surge? A New Defense Doctrine for the Kingdom

presentation by nawaf obaid

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

I hope we see something to be proud of .. after all these tons of millions .
I'm talking about industry .--_=

Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
@Gasoline There's a problem with tags,i can't see them,i don't know if i'm the only one. You should ask Webmaster.
On topic,150 billions is probably to modernize the ground forces (new tanks,probably new IFVs,new personnel carriers,new armored vehicles) the navy (New Frigates,subs) that need new materials,and probably to develop the national industry with foreign partners,but 150 billions seem a bit excessive,or i forgot something ?
I don't know where the major part of your budget goes,but i think,IMO that they aren't well invested,or am i wrong ?

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
@Gasoline There's a problem with tags,i can't see them,i don't know if i'm the only one. You should ask Webmaster.
On topic,150 billions is probably to modernize the ground forces (new tanks,probably new IFVs,new personnel carriers,new armored vehicles) the navy (New Frigates,subs) that need new materials,and probably to develop the national industry with foreign partners,but 150 billions seem a bit excessive,or i forgot something ?
I don't know where the major part of your budget goes,but i think,IMO that they aren't well invested,or am i wrong ?
the next few years or by 2020 we will see what those investments got us. its way too early to decide. specially that saudi dosnt speak about its military projects and investments.
yes there is a fear that the money wasnt well invested but no one can confirm that cuz there is not enough info out there.
but we know that between 2016 and 2020 we will see most of the outcome. so unfortunately we will have to wait.

another thing around 100 billion dollars of that investment is with the US. that leaves europe and the rest of the world with 50 billion dollars.
another thing IMO we will spend more than 150 billion. cuz the new king, crown prince and deputy crown prince have a new vision for the army. the 150 billion was allocated before they came to power.
when they came to power they brought top CEOs and bankers to the defense industry. so that only means that they will reshape the whole army and defense industry. specially saudi made weapons and R&D
then the yemen war came and that will also make them spend more money on defense to secure the kingdom. specially that we saw how a lot of our allies reacted towards the war. i think the new government will do it right this time.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

Don't worry I will contact the Webmaster.

The major part of the budget goes for the Airforce.^(0 '_' 0)^
I agree with you these millions aren't well invested .Local industry should have a share .

What we need from now and so far, is strong Navy to force our control on the Arabian gulf and our seas with Iran. Especially the submarines capable of launching cruse missiles .

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
That is one insane number if you ask me, but if someone can invest that sort of money in the military strength is certainly Saudi Arabia with all their oil money!

Welcome to the forum.D:-O

The matter is not that we have a surplus of money because of oil (:-),but the threats in our region forced us to spend these billions on defense.Another thing is that we don't have strong industry so we can rely on ourselves to make our weapons locally instead of buying it with extreme prices.

We still need some time to invest in the local industry,support our companies to build a worthwhile industry base then we can reduce the budget to 50$ bn.