Sports | World Defense

Sports

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Hey everyone,

Sport is something that has been used to divide gaps against political agendas and as a driver in politic standoffs. Going forward I think we are seeing sports being more influenced by politics and capitalism which is unfortunately to those who just want to promote the games they love to play. However there has been more global promotion of sports, allowed people to be exposed to different sports they wouldn't otherwise in their own country.

So what is the most popular sport played in your country? Why do you think it is so popular?
Do you follow this sport and if not why don't you?
What sports do you love and follow that are played by other countries?

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
The most popular sport in my country is football (or soccer to the Americans), it's huge, bigger than religion. Why is it so popular, great question, everyone is born to follow it. I prefer tennis though.

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
In the Philippines, the most popular sport is Basketball. Everywhere you look, there are basketball courts or makeshift ones. I think the sport was influenced by the US when the country was still a colony. I play the game every now and then, though I prefer playing badminton or archery though.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
It's all about hockey in Canada. There is no other topic that can get Canadians so riled up and excited as much as an NHL finals or an international hockey tournament. It's seems to be our greatest source of nationalism!

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the UK where football, or soccer, is far and away the most popular sport. I follow it myself and support Liverpool FC. I think football brings people together. I have lost count of the conversations I have struck up with strangers, just because they are wearing my club's shirt. I think it's popularity has something to do with the amount of regional clubs there are - every town and city has a football club.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
Hey everyone,

Sport is something that has been used to divide gaps against political agendas and as a driver in politic standoffs. Going forward I think we are seeing sports being more influenced by politics and capitalism which is unfortunately to those who just want to promote the games they love to play. However there has been more global promotion of sports, allowed people to be exposed to different sports they wouldn't otherwise in their own country.

So what is the most popular sport played in your country? Why do you think it is so popular?
Do you follow this sport and if not why don't you?
What sports do you love and follow that are played by other countries?
Football (american style) is probably the most popular here, but Basketball is catching up, the main reason why I think Football is so popular is because it's more action and it's a contact sport, not like basketball and baseball. Baseball was the most popular sport at one time here in the US.

d4rk3n

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
India
The most famous game in India is cricket. People breathe cricket here. It was famous here since India was a colony.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
It's all about hockey in Canada. There is no other topic that can get Canadians so riled up and excited as much as an NHL finals or an international hockey tournament. It's seems to be our greatest source of nationalism!
Pretty much the same way here (New Zealand) about Rugby. If people aren't talking about The All-Blacks, they are talking about Super Rugby, if they aren't talking about Super Rugby they are talking about Provisional, if they aren't talking about Provisional, they are talking about how bad The Warriors (NRL Rugby League Team, different sport but close enough) are. I think we have a soccer and basketball team somewhere but you never hear about them.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I can only think of two sports that are traditionally, since time immemorial, popular in my country: boxing and basketball. Ever since Manny Pacquiao climbed to the peak of boxing fame, a lot of my countrymen have followed his footsteps, taking up boxing as a profession. The roads are practically empty whenever Pacquiao fights. Everyone can't afford to miss it. Basketball is likewise a big sport here. All big commercial companies have a stake (teams are even named after brands). Soccer is slowly picking up as well as volleyball.

galmal

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I think in the US, most people would say football is the biggest, but we are a diverse people. In addition to the traditional "ball" sports (football, baseball, basketball, soccer), we also have motorsports, like NASCAR and drag racing, along with horse racing. The younger population has gotten very involved in extreme sports, like skateboarding, ski boarding, moto X, BMX etc. My favorite sport is lacrosse - it has the non-stop action of soccer and basketball, with the contact of football but also requires a lot of strategy and teamwork.

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
American football is the most popular sport in our country. I follow it and root for the Dallas Cowboys.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I think its very interesting how alot of countries have a "traditional sport" and its embedded in their society. It's like if you weren't aware of this Sport you will be seen as a bit unnormal. When I start talking about NFL/NHL with New Zealanders they usually don't know what to say, although I think more and more people are watching International Sport and letting themselves follow their interests.

Sklauda1

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
American football. I'm a die hard Raven. But I wish soccer was more popular here because it is a thrill to watch. I watched the World Cup even after the USA was eliminated. It was so much fun, but there were no commercial breaks and I had to pee!

Hockey is fun to watch also but since I do not have cable, I cannot watch it :(. I went to a minor league game when I was a kid and it was one of the most treasured memories I have.

stevesxs9

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Football is king in the U.S.A. but baseball and basketball are close behind them. And college football is gaining a lot of ground followed by hockey and soccer. A lot of people also like lacrosse.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
I love American football and saw my local home town team on TV tonight. I think it is something that bonds peole especially those in a certain geograhic area. It is quite exciting to follow a team and share in the excitement with the fans. I prefer viewing live sports if possbile however.