Sports | Page 2 | World Defense

Sports

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Although a small country, Serbia is very successful in sports. Unfortunately, we are least successful in football (soccer), the most popular sport in Serbia. All of our stars during the years fail to put a good performance for a national team and play good in their teams. Nemanja Vidic, Aleksandar Kolarov, Branislav Ivanovic, Adem Ljajic,Nemanja Matic, Dejan Stankovic, Sinisa Mihajlovic, Vladimir Jugovic, etc. Many more of course failed massively in any attempt to go far in any competition. France 1998 was unlucky for us but we were playing good. Another sport popular now is Tennis because of Novak Djokovic. Waterpolo, basketball and volleyball are the most prolific sports in Serbia considering the medals.

SapnaTheBaller3

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
The fact that America is filled with such diverse people, I can't say which sport is the most popular. However I read somewhere that it was baseball. Though you may not hear much about it as say football (especially the Super Bowl time) it still is pretty popular. Personally I enjoy watching basketball, and have full respect for it.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
The most popular sport in my country is football ( the Americans refer to it as Soccer) This is a sport that really has the ability to bond people as was evident when the national team had had qualified for the 1998 world cup in France. Everyone came forward in unison to support the team and there was even a drop in the crime statistics for a number of days.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Football(soccer),Baskeball,Volleyball,weightlifting,Wrestling.

TheOptical

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
UK here. Football is a big thing here. You cant get into any pub without it being on the TV. The BPL finals are bigger then come Christmas for some people! Me, I watch a few games every now and then, but I much prefer American sports. American Football and Baseball, to be exact. Only issue is that it isn't always on TV, so I have to do a bit off searching around online and stream it to my Chromecast if I wanna watch a game.

Te0

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
Italy
The most popular sport in my state is football and tennis

Ticklishchap

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
This is quite an old thread I notice but let’s see if we can revive it. Certainly in my country the most popular sport is football (soccer). However I have never been part of the football culture myself because at my school we played Rugby, which was referred to as Rugger. There is a certain element of social division in this; it was a private boys’ school and there was a belief that Rugby was a better class of sport than football!

I was chosen for the Rugger team for my House (the school was divided into Houses) and this took up a lot of my spare time and squeezed out other sports from age 13-18. Being a masochist I continued with it for a few years at college as well. Before that I enjoyed Fencing for a few years.

I had some excellent coaches for Rugger (many of them ex-Army or Naval men) and enjoyed the team work, although it didn’t leave me much time for other activities!

Ticklishchap

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's all about hockey in Canada. There is no other topic that can get Canadians so riled up and excited as much as an NHL finals or an international hockey tournament. It's seems to be our greatest source of nationalism!
I would like to have tried Ice Hockey at school or college. It wasn’t played much in the U.K. when I was younger (and still isn’t now) and as I mentioned in my earlier post I was ‘conscripted’ into the Rugger team, which took up a lot of time and energy.

Ticklishchap

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The most famous game in India is cricket. People breathe cricket here. It was famous here since India was a colony.
I have great respect for the game but I’m afraid I was rubbish at it and gave it up aged 16. I must confess that I like Cricket sweaters and still wear them sometimes.

Ticklishchap

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
One of the eccentricities of my boarding school was that we called sports eccer (short for exercise). All boys had to do a certain number of hours a week and fill in an eccer list to prove it.

BATMAN

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,697 47 0
Country
Pakistan
as good as gold
1628447702611.png

Jampe

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Finland
Hey everyone,

Sport is something that has been used to divide gaps against political agendas and as a driver in politic standoffs. Going forward I think we are seeing sports being more influenced by politics and capitalism which is unfortunately to those who just want to promote the games they love to play. However there has been more global promotion of sports, allowed people to be exposed to different sports they wouldn't otherwise in their own country.

So what is the most popular sport played in your country? Why do you think it is so popular?
Do you follow this sport and if not why don't you?
What sports do you love and follow that are played by other countries?
By Swedes most popular sports are soccer and hockey by Finns most popular sport are hockey. ¡ª•

Ticklishchap

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
By Swedes most popular sports are soccer and hockey by Finns most popular sport are hockey. ¡ª•
I would like to have played Hockey but my main sport was Rugby and that pushed out a lot of other sports. I did play some Soccer but mainly in the school holidays. Our coach was ex-Army and he was very strict, which we probably needed!