Tunisia attack: eight reported killed as gunmen storm Tunis museum | World Defense

Tunisia attack: eight reported killed as gunmen storm Tunis museum

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Tunisia attack: eight reported killed as gunmen storm Tunis museum | World news | The Guardian

At least eight people have been killed in Tunisia after the country’s prestigious Bardo museum came under attack, according to Tunisia’s interior ministry.

The shooting broke out about midday local time (11.00 GMT), according to local reports. Radio Mosaique, a private radio station, reported that three men dressed in military-style clothing may have taken hostages inside the museum, adjacent to the national parliament building.

500.jpg

Tunisia attack: eight reported killed as gunmen storm Tunis museum
Read more
Interior ministry spokesman Mohamed Ali Aroui told the radio station that one of the dead was a Tunisian. He did not provide nationalities for the other victims.

The Bardo museum, which chronicles Tunisia’s history and includes one of the world’s largest collections of Roman mosaics, is one of the country’s biggest tourist attractions.

Tunisian security forces were surrounding two militants holed up inside the Bardo museum that shares grounds with the country’s parliament on Wednesday, an interior ministry spokesman said.

He said security forces were still verifying local media reports that the militants had taken tourists hostage during an attack on the parliament building.

One local lawmaker said there were injured inside the parliament after the attack

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
A full investigation needs to be done and see how they got in, could it be a inside job where someone was helping the terrioists and escaped before this happened to safety. The ones who did this, may have been taking their furstrations out and have done so in the wrong way by taking innocent lives which is wrong and not a good way to do it. It is sad when this occurs, and innocent people lose their lives in this way when thugs start shooting for no reason at all.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
It was earlier reported that some of those who were shot were Japanese citizens. I wonder if this incident has something to do with terrorist groups or their offshore supporters. In the past few months, there have been a number of terror-related shootings across the world including the Charlie Hebdo massacre in France, the hostage-taking in Australia and the one which cost the life of a Canadian soldier.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
The Tunisian authorities are investigating if it was organized attack or lonewolf attack. Its highly likely one individual committed this attack. So far, I don't believe any organization claimed credit. Let's wait and see result.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Any word on the motivation for this attack? I don't think terrorists realize the kind of damage they are doing to their own people by attacking tourists. Not only is this museum a record of their own history, which is important for them as a people, it also brings in tourist money which is good and needed for the local economy. These tragedies may have a much farther reaching effect than just the lives of the victims.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Any word on the motivation for this attack? I don't think terrorists realize the kind of damage they are doing to their own people by attacking tourists. Not only is this museum a record of their own history, which is important for them as a people, it also brings in tourist money which is good and needed for the local economy. These tragedies may have a much farther reaching effect than just the lives of the victims.

Nothing new yet. :(

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
From what I have heard they were targeting tourists deliberately and 23 are now confirmed dead, though it is not known if it includes any nationals. Obviously security has been stepped up, but in the UK package holidays have been canceled and it will hit the tourist industry there as no one will feel safe.

Apparently two of the suspects were known to the authorities already, so maybe this attack was planned when the defenses were low?

Determined2014

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
You are right, I often wonder, if the they ever think of the after effects to the country when they do such crimes, because it will take along time for them to recover in the tourism section due to all te tourists that have been atacked.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
According to Al Jazeera, a recorded tape came out with ISIS claiming responsibility for attack...

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya
Such cowardly acts will only strengthen the world's resolve to stamp out terrorism for good. Taking away innocent lives for whatever reason can never be justified and it's my hope that whoever was responsible will be found and made to face justice.