U.S. Politics | Page 2 | World Defense

U.S. Politics

ChicagoCubFan

Professional
Reactions
1 1,508 12
Country
Germany
not really, NYC is mostly democratic/liberal running mates, however Andrew Yang isn't too bad and wants to sit aside the two party system and work on things to benefit everyone no matter what their political stance is, which is why is highly liked here.

a local representative from NYC, Alexandria Cortez endorse a mayoral candidate, Maya Wiley which she was a former counsel member for the current mayor DeBlasio, and is very high end on the racial thing, which is why she isn't highly liked here, which in itself is a surprise
Andrew Yang has various reasons he is like, one of his policies for example is to give 500,000 low income New Yorkers $2,000 a month, he wants to appoint a Deputy Mayor for Public Safety working jointly with NYPD launching operations to prevent/combat crime in troubled NY Neighborhoods.

Fernando Mateo, was supported by Michael Flynn and Trump as an opponent to Wiley.

Wiley isn't bad most dislike her more over the fact that she a counsel member for DeBlasio, so some think this will be a DeBlasio 2.0
anyways, She wants to do the following, called the New Deal New York
-build workforce training sites in uplifting neighborhoods with neighborhood organizations to run training programs
-develop policies that will hire locals in high unemployed and poverty areas to create apprentice jobs
-investing $2 billion in the NYCHA to repair housing and invest in job creating opportunities
-create a centrally managed $10 billion program oversaw by a "Czar" for public works and underserved communities.
-create 100,000 jobs
-recognize that gun violence is because of lack of education + employment opportunities
-launch support programs to reduce crimes in high risk neighborhoods

I will eventually post each candidate and their plans separately

Ticklishchap

Reactions
5 26
Country
United Kingdom
not really, NYC is mostly democratic/liberal running mates, however Andrew Yang isn't too bad and wants to sit aside the two party system and work on things to benefit everyone no matter what their political stance is, which is why is highly liked here.

a local representative from NYC, Alexandria Cortez endorse a mayoral candidate, Maya Wiley which she was a former counsel member for the current mayor DeBlasio, and is very high end on the racial thing, which is why she isn't highly liked here, which in itself is a surprise
I like what I see of Andrew Yang, for example his support for basic income as a way of reforming the welfare bureaucracy and adapting to changing work patterns. It’s an idea that crosses the political spectrum, having some strong supporters on the left and among environmentalists, but also Milton Friedman!

Ticklishchap

Reactions
5 26
Country
United Kingdom
Andrew Yang has various reasons he is like, one of his policies for example is to give 500,000 low income New Yorkers $2,000 a month, he wants to appoint a Deputy Mayor for Public Safety working jointly with NYPD launching operations to prevent/combat crime in troubled NY Neighborhoods.

Fernando Mateo, was supported by Michael Flynn and Trump as an opponent to Wiley.

Wiley isn't bad most dislike her more over the fact that she a counsel member for DeBlasio, so some think this will be a DeBlasio 2.0
anyways, She wants to do the following, called the New Deal New York
-build workforce training sites in uplifting neighborhoods with neighborhood organizations to run training programs
-develop policies that will hire locals in high unemployed and poverty areas to create apprentice jobs
-investing $2 billion in the NYCHA to repair housing and invest in job creating opportunities
-create a centrally managed $10 billion program oversaw by a "Czar" for public works and underserved communities.
-create 100,000 jobs
-recognize that gun violence is because of lack of education + employment opportunities
-launch support programs to reduce crimes in high risk neighborhoods

I will eventually post each candidate and their plans separately
Thank you very much for both posts. I remember Curtis Sliwa because there was a chapter of Guardian Angels in London in the late 80s/early 90s. The emphasis on vocational training is a good thing overall as a large number of students (especially boys) are put off by the narrow academic curriculum. And sadly many college degrees are not especially strong intellectually and have little practical value. I have no axe (or ax in US spelling) to grind here because I am educated to postgrad level.

All of the candidates listed - whether I agree with their platforms or not - have more talent than our recent contenders for Mayor of London, which is a shame for us but good for NYC.

I look forward to hearing more from you about the other candidates.

ChicagoCubFan

Professional
Reactions
1 1,508 12
Country
Germany
Thank you very much for both posts. I remember Curtis Sliwa because there was a chapter of Guardian Angels in London in the late 80s/early 90s. The emphasis on vocational training is a good thing overall as a large number of students (especially boys) are put off by the narrow academic curriculum. And sadly many college degrees are not especially strong intellectually and have little practical value. I have no axe (or ax in US spelling) to grind here because I am educated to postgrad level.

All of the candidates listed - whether I agree with their platforms or not - have more talent than our recent contenders for Mayor of London, which is a shame for us but good for NYC.

I look forward to hearing more from you about the other candidates.
a lot of people tend to bad mouth NYC, yet either never lived there or visited, and listen to the media only which usually only shows negative things 24/7 doesn't matter what city or state you mention.

however DeBlasio has been an idiot from day 1, the only things he managed to accomplish (successfully) in NYC was public servants (parks and rec employees, and such) got an $15 an hour wage and his universal Pre-K (free) to parents. other than that not much is successful about this man, he promised a lot for the city but a lot of the money just straight into Manhattan (a major tourist zone).

of course, I believe it's whoever is going to do best for the city, however Sliwa is the only Republican Candidate I even see having a chance of becoming a mayor since he is like Giuliani

Strike Eagle

Reactions
1 160 2
Country
USA
a lot of people tend to bad mouth NYC, yet either never lived there or visited, and listen to the media only which usually only shows negative things 24/7 doesn't matter what city or state you mention.

however DeBlasio has been an idiot from day 1, the only things he managed to accomplish (successfully) in NYC was public servants (parks and rec employees, and such) got an $15 an hour wage and his universal Pre-K (free) to parents. other than that not much is successful about this man, he promised a lot for the city but a lot of the money just straight into Manhattan (a major tourist zone).

of course, I believe it's whoever is going to do best for the city, however Sliwa is the only Republican Candidate I even see having a chance of becoming a mayor since he is like Giuliani
a lot of the ones I know bashing New York, are Floridians complaining about the New Yorkers moving there, however we have quite a bit of New Yorkers here in California, however most Floridians will not complain about the companies/jobs moving there, like how Californian tech giants opened regional branches into Texas LoL

I'm not a fan of DeBlasio, and sure am not a fan of how Manhattan get's a lot of attention while the other 4 boroughs usually suffer or gets the crumbs for development, investments... however it does seem Brooklyn and Queens are growing pretty good nowadays

Sliwa seems better then most candidates IMO, a lot of the rest seem have to a blessing with some sort of Big New Yorker, he seems to kind of be on his own. the rest, I don't know how to explain, but they all seem to be wanting to get noticed by higher up politicians, or some seem to have connections with DeBlasio in one form or the other.

ChicagoCubFan

Professional
Reactions
1 1,508 12
Country
Germany
a lot of the ones I know bashing New York, are Floridians complaining about the New Yorkers moving there, however we have quite a bit of New Yorkers here in California, however most Floridians will not complain about the companies/jobs moving there, like how Californian tech giants opened regional branches into Texas LoL

I'm not a fan of DeBlasio, and sure am not a fan of how Manhattan get's a lot of attention while the other 4 boroughs usually suffer or gets the crumbs for development, investments... however it does seem Brooklyn and Queens are growing pretty good nowadays

Sliwa seems better then most candidates IMO, a lot of the rest seem have to a blessing with some sort of Big New Yorker, he seems to kind of be on his own. the rest, I don't know how to explain, but they all seem to be wanting to get noticed by higher up politicians, or some seem to have connections with DeBlasio in one form or the other.
most New Yorkers I know hate how Manhattan gets the attention when it comes to adding new everything, however Brooklyn is getting it's first major high rise which will be the tallest outside Manhattan, and yes Brooklyn and Queens are growing with tourism, however Manhattan is still the bigger tourist spot and will be forever

most Texans indeed will complain about the jobs moving in, but its usually Houstonians tbh, simply because Houston is dominated by 2 major industries: Energy (Oil and Gas) and Medical. however, when Tesla was moving into Texas, Houston did invite Tesla to setup a Gigafactory (car production), engine production facility, a mega wind farm and a major solar farm (as well as training locals for maintenance on them), and for Houston to become SpaceX's HQ. not only that, they invited Amazon to spread throughout the Greater Houston area, allowing Houston to be home to Amazon's Texas office, both which failed ultimately, since Tesla went to Austin and their SpaceX went to Brownsville.

Tesla also acknowledge to wanting to build a city called "Star base City" which Musk will eventually opened another Gigafactory, Engine production line, move the SpaceX HQ and more there, and plans to have the city 100% renewable/clean energy based. of course, Texas isn't complaining about that ;)

Sliwa isn't a bad candidate, however if he acts like Giuliani did, which was "showboating" and making some bad policies he won't be very liked, however at the same time, I don't see him winning anyways, even for a Republican running mate.

Ticklishchap

Reactions
5 26
Country
United Kingdom

I would never badmouth NYC. I have really enjoyed my visits there - it has changed a lot since the mid-80s when I recall the subway graffiti.
There are some of the best art museums in the world in NYC.

Strike Eagle

Reactions
1 160 2
Country
USA
Biden, Johnson sign new Atlantic Charter on trade, defense amid Covid recovery (nbcnews.com)

President Joe Biden and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson signed a new Atlantic Charter on Thursday, modeled after the 1941 agreement, that outlines eight key areas on which the U.S. and the United Kingdom plan to collaborate.

The revamped charter, which comes during Biden's first trip abroad as president, says it builds "on the commitments and aspirations set out eighty years ago, affirms our ongoing commitment to sustaining our enduring values and defending them against new and old challenges."

Those commitments include defending democracy, reaffirming the importance of collective security and ensuring a fair and open global trading system, the document said.

Biden and Johnson agreed to the revamped accord during a bilateral meeting Thursday at Carbis Bay, Cornwall, in the southwest of England on Thursday ahead of the G-7 summit with other world leaders, which starts Friday.

Speaking to reporters from St. Ives afterward, Biden said he had a "very productive meeting" with Johnson and said they discussed "ambitious" goals on climate change. The president added that they talked about "shared sacrifices" service members from both countries made in Afghanistan.

The charter commits to combating the modern challenges of cyberthreats and climate change and to bringing the pandemic to an end. As a result of the agreement, Biden and Johnson will work to reopen travel between the U.S. and the U.K. as soon as possible. They plan to create a new travel task force that will make recommendations about safely reopening international travel.

“Many people in the U.K. and U.S. have been prevented from seeing family and friends for over 400 days as a result of coronavirus travel restrictions,” Johnson’s office said. “The task force will work to explore options for resuming up U.K.-U.S. travel and ensure that the U.K. and U.S. closely share thinking and expertise on international travel policy going forward.”

To help bring an end to the pandemic globally, the two leaders are expected to agree to work together on genomic sequencing and reviewing Covid-19 variants

They also agreed to a new plan that would be signed next year that would help alleviate obstacles British technology firms face when working with U.S. counterparts.

The Atlantic Charter was signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill in 1941, outlining their goals for after World War II. Johnson’s office described it as “one of the greatest triumphs of U.K. and U.S. relations and did more than any other agreement to shape the world order, leading directly to the creation of the U.N. and NATO.”