Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
U.S. Should Copy The Great Wall Of Saudi Arabia

SaudiBorderFence.jpg

Homeland Security: To keep out Islamic State terrorists, the Saudis are building a 600-mile-long barrier — complete with five layers of fencing, underground movement censors and radar cameras — on their northern border. If they can do it ...

Good fences, it is said, make for good neighbors, which on a grand scale was the intent of the Great Wall of China in antiquity and the Israeli fences of more recent vintage. Both were designed to keep out intruders and to make sure all guests were invited guests. Unlike the Berlin Wall, they were built to keep hostiles out, not citizens in.

As the threat of IS terrorism grew in Iraq and Syria, Saudi Arabia decided it might be a good idea to put such a barrier between its citizens and those who might want to kill them. Last September, King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud initiated construction of a multilayered barrier that eventually will stretch along the entire Iraqi border from Kuwait to Jordan.

Earlier this month, Saudi prudence seemed vindicated by a suicide bombing and gun attack that killed two Saudi border guards and their commanding officer right next to Iraq's Anbar province. Saudi oil fields might make a tempting IS target. The group has also said its eventual goal is to take over the Muslim holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

"It is the first attack by Islamic State itself against Saudi Arabia and is a clear message after Saudi Arabia entered the international coalition against it," Mustafa Alani, an Irawi security analyst with close ties to Saudi Arabia's Interior Ministry, told Reuters. The Saudis sent 30,000 troops to the border last July after IS forces swept into western Iraq and Iraqi border guards fled.

According to Jane's Defense Weekly, the barrier will be six miles deep with 79 watch towers. Monitoring will include thermal imagers and battlefield radar systems capable of detecting individuals at a distance of 12 miles and vehicles at up to 24 miles. The barrier will be patrolled by border guards and 240 rapid-response vehicles.

Contrast the Saudi fence and border security efforts with our porous border, which recently allowed tens of thousands of "unaccompanied minors" to stream across and routinely allows drug cartels and their "coyotes" to smuggle anyone across for any purpose into the United States.

Activist filmmaker James O'Keefe recently made a six-minute video showing how he was able to cross the Rio Grande from Mexico into west Texas wearing a Halloween-esque Osama bin Laden costume with nary a Border Patrol officer in sight and no fence to worry about.

U.S. Should Copy The Great Wall Of Saudi Arabia - Investors.com

What do you guys think? Your take on this.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
North America is not a region with any ongoing military conflicts, civil wars or notable terrorists groups. None of the countries that border the US possess nuclear technology/weapons of mass destruction nor do they have plans any plans to develop them. It is a false equivalency to compare Saudi Arabian and US border policy considering these differences.

I suspected this would be a far right news source...and it is. At least the comments on the article are fun to read.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
Yes, a wall like this on the North American continent wouldn't do much. In the north, Canada and the US share the longest peaceful border in the world. Perhaps in the south it would be useful to stem the tide of illegal immigrants and drug trafficking from Mexico, but I doubt it would do much good. I wouldn't be surprised if smuggling just shifted from land routes to the sea.

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
I'd be happy if the US would just allow the border patrol to patrol the border (southern) with intent to keep people out rather than babysitting them as they come across. I suspect that the border patrol would welcome the same, as I figure they would want to do the job they are really meant for.
Besides, I don't imagine we can afford a get-up of a wall like this. We're seriously in debt, you know.

JonMark

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I'd be happy if the US would just allow the border patrol to patrol the border (southern) with intent to keep people out rather than babysitting them as they come across. I suspect that the border patrol would welcome the same, as I figure they would want to do the job they are really meant for.
Besides, I don't imagine we can afford a get-up of a wall like this. We're seriously in debt, you know.
That't what we're told @stryker but I don't know how much of that to believe. We give away so much money to other countries every year without batting an eye and never take that into consideration. I get paid by people all over the world for my writing so where's this debt? That's a small comparison but I think you know what I mean.

JonMark

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
If Saudia Arabia is building that then they're doing it because they need to now. It wasn't something they considered during the first decade of the twenty first century? Btw, notice how talk about states seceding from the U.S. has died down as the conservatives hold on to the hope of a 2016 win? The only way something like this would be built is if states still wanted to do that, seriously and not just politics as usual, and so they would build such a fence.

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
That't what we're told @stryker but I don't know how much of that to believe. We give away so much money to other countries every year without batting an eye and never take that into consideration. I get paid by people all over the world for my writing so where's this debt? That's a small comparison but I think you know what I mean.

Oh, I'm well aware that the US financial situation is probably not what we're told. I know that swallowing a grain of salt isn't going to get us anywhere closer to knowing the truth about any of the situations out there today. All that's going on. All the ways we have of getting, of hearing our news these days and we're still quite as nearly in the dark as we ever were before the internet and maybe even before television came along.
We now have a whole globe's worth of speculation to deal with on top of it.
But I stand with saying we probably couldn't afford this type of wall at this time, even though those who are living close to the southern border these days probably would say, "Build it anyway! Please!"
If we don't, however, do something about the amount and the what's streaming into the country from the southern border soon there might come a day when, broke or not, we'll be in a position where we can't afford NOT to build something as significant as this.

Oh, and for the record, plenty of eyes get batted. Just not the right ones; but you already know that.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
There's no wall that's ever going to be built because government agents make some good cash from drugs smuggled in and sex trafficking. I know for a fact that some police departments supplement their budgets from drug money seized from gangs, those selling them, etc. Closing down the borders entirely would mean . . .

the amount of drug dollars flowing into local police budgets is staggering. Justice Department figures show that in the past four years alone, the amount of assets seized by local law enforcement agencies across the nation —has tripled, from $567 million to $1.6 billion.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think that it's at all necessary, because USA doesn't have neighbours like those of Saudi Arabia who'd just eventually ransack USA by land. I think instead of building that great wall on land, they should devise something else that's going to protect them over the air or water.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
What is the use of having a great wall of the gate is left wide open ? It seems as if illegal immigrants have more rights then most Americans. There are thousands of illegal immigrants who are not evem hiding, they openly have jobs and nothing is being done about it.

California is a bilingual country, Spanish and English. Why are government forms being printed in Spanish again ?

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
What is the use of having a great wall of the gate is left wide open ? It seems as if illegal immigrants have more rights then most Americans. There are thousands of illegal immigrants who are not evem hiding, they openly have jobs and nothing is being done about it.

California is a bilingual country, Spanish and English. Why are government forms being printed in Spanish again ?

Of course you are right. It's as if we have a giant doormat with "Welcome. Jobs And Social Programs For All" written on it.
And though I am not certain of it, I have even heard that in California there are billboards that tell where one can find jobs in other parts of the country. I wouldn't put it past the lefty-loopy Californians to allow that.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
There's no wall that's ever going to be built because government agents make some good cash from drugs smuggled in and sex trafficking. I know for a fact that some police departments supplement their budgets from drug money seized from gangs, those selling them, etc. Closing down the borders entirely would mean . . .

I have heard that drug smugglers use tunnels to get drugs in n out. If a wall is to be built, would that put an end to drugs smuggling?

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
I have heard that drug smugglers use tunnels to get drugs in n out. If a wall is to be built, would that put an end to drugs smuggling?

The "wall" they are talking about here, it says, would have underground movement sensors. I don't know how well they would work, though, in our situation. Probably just alert "our people" to where the smugglers are so that no one interrupts them--the smugglers, that is.

Last edited:

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
There is little point really. As long as the existing borders are properly maintained and patrolled then there shouldn't be any real need. 003 is right in that we need to concentrate on them entering by air or sea. This is how someone would likely enter if they did not want to draw attention to themselves.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
A wall wouldn't change much. That only seals off the Mexican border. Or part of it. Would that stop drug traffickers from South America who land their cargo in Florida? In any case the reason why there'll be no fence built is this:
U.S. Government and Top Mexican Drug Cartel Exposed as Partners
For over a decade, under multiple administrations, the U.S. government had a secret agreement with the ruthless Mexican Sinaloa drug cartel that allowed it to operate with impunity, an in-depth investigation by a leading Mexican newspaper confirmed this week.
All the talk about war on drugs, stopping illegals from crossing the border, etc, etc, is nothing more than a smoke screen to fool the public into believing the government is doing something when in fact, they are very much in the drug and sex trafficking trade themselves.