UAE immunizes more than 20 million Pakistani children

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
UAE immunizes more than 20 million Pakistani children
38a78736-6e2b-4327-aeb5-346e0e798410_16x9_600x338.jpg

A Pakistani health worker gives a polio vaccine to a child in Lahore, Pakistan, Wednesday, May 20, 2015. (File Photo: AP)

By Staff Writer | Al Arabiya News
Sunday, 12 July 2015

The UAE has carried out more than 20.6 million polio immunizations for Pakistani children, reported Gulf News on Saturday.

Nearly 87 million vaccines were directed as part of the Emirates Polio Campaign till May this year, Abdullah Khalifa Al Gafli, Director of UAE Pakistan Assistance Program (UAE-PAP), said.

The campaign was created under the directives of UAE President Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan in an initiative by Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of UAE Armed Forces.

“The UAE has played a major role in funding these operations and as a consequence of this and through a heightened level of political commitment we have successfully tackled polio,” said Senator Ayesha Raza Farooq, who is heading the campaign.

“Thanks to the concerted efforts and through the help of the UAE, all agencies of Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) are now accessible to health workers and polio vaccination is in full swing,” she added.

The campaign was launched after World Health Organization reports had indicated the seriousness of the increase in the number of cases detected in Pakistan in 2014.

Last Update: Sunday, 12 July 2015 KSA 12:53 - GMT 09:53
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/life-style/healthy-living/2015/07/12/UAE-immunizes-more-than-20-million-Pakistani-children.html

Karl King

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
This is a great story. Although I have my reservations about the UAE and their civil rights (or lack thereof), at least they are doing something positive internationally.

Freespirit

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
Thank you UAE for helping the children in Pakistan! Polio can be prevented through the help of vaccines. It is hard to live life especially when you are stricken by this sickness. Good thing these children are now vaccinated and protected from it.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Now this is the type of news i want to see coming out of the middle east! Good job to the UAE for this initiative and I hope Pakistan will try to better its medical treatment capabilities.