Ukraine Crisis | Updates & Discussions | Page 18 | World Defense

Ukraine Crisis | Updates & Discussions

Bayernulan

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
Germany
In today's "Western News"

CIA Director: The total Russian death toll in Ukraine war is estimated at 15,000, and the number of injured is three times higher​

Finally a number that I find to be a realistic assumption. And that also corresponds with estimates from renowned Western Think Tanks.

Soldier35

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Armenia
A Russian ATGM crew destroyed a Ukrainian armored personnel carrier. The model of the armored personnel carrier is difficult to determine, but at maximum drag it is very similar to the American M113 armored personnel carrier.

Soldier35

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Armenia
The Ministry of Defense showed an episode of the combat work of Russian special forces in Ukraine.

Soldier35

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Armenia
Recently, one of the problems at the front has been a large number of PFM-1 petal mines. The Ukrainian army, retreating, with the help of cluster shells, massively carries out mining with PFM-1 petal mines. The Soviet plastic mine PFM-1 is copied from the American BLUE-43 and weighs only 80 grams. The mine contains about 37 grams of explosive VS-6D in liquid form. Russia abandoned the PFM-1 mines and switched to the PFM-1C version, which self-destructs after 40 hours. Ukraine also abandoned them and began to destroy mines, but the process was apparently too slow since they appeared at the front.

Bayernulan

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
Germany
It was reported about one destroyed installation, when there are more UAVs, more will be destroyed
Certainly drones or UCAV's are the primary asset needed for spotting and partially destroying MLRS systems. However so far I am not aware (or heard) about Bayraktar, or Predator/Reaper MQ-9, like Russian systems (available in numbers). Since the Russian artillery systems do not possess the range and their ground to ground missiles would not meet the required accuracy nor reaction time - it would presently come down to the Russian Air-force, that somehow is not around in any viable strength.

What could be the reason for the poor showing/presence of the Russian Air-force? At least on paper they are supposedly the 2nd strongest Air-force in the world.

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
Certainly drones or UCAV's are the primary asset needed for spotting and partially destroying MLRS systems. However so far I am not aware (or heard) about Bayraktar, or Predator/Reaper MQ-9, like Russian systems (available in numbers). Since the Russian artillery systems do not possess the range and their ground to ground missiles would not meet the required accuracy nor reaction time - it would presently come down to the Russian Air-force, that somehow is not around in any viable strength.

What could be the reason for the poor showing/presence of the Russian Air-force? At least on paper they are supposedly the 2nd strongest Air-force in the world.
Yes, it is very strange that the Russian Air Force has not been more active in the Ukranian war effort. They should have "squadrons' of A/C in the sky for every strike mission. IMO I believe Ukraines SAMs are having much more effect on Russian A/C than the Russians are telling us. On another subjects, the US is sending much more effective Ghost Drones to the Ukrainian army to give the Russians "pause". These drones are teriffic and will give Ukraine the "edge".:٧:

Bayernulan

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
Germany
Yes, it is very strange that the Russian Air Force has not been more active in the Ukranian war effort. They should have "squadrons' of A/C in the sky for every strike mission. IMO I believe Ukraines SAMs are having much more effect on Russian A/C than the Russians are telling us. On another subjects, the US is sending much more effective Ghost Drones to the Ukrainian army to give the Russians "pause". These drones are teriffic and will give Ukraine the "edge".:٧:
Let's say the Ukraine's AA and SAM systems are in place and seem to have a 20-30% hit ratio, (average performance) but despite this the Russian AF is not making use of this "advantage" - then I wonder what are they supposed to do, or be able to achieve once Ukraine gets upgraded AA&SAM systems (1-2 month) and most likely a couple of F-16 squadrons.

So this present (6 month) no show of the Russian air-force as surprising as it might be, seems to actually confirm a "miserable" state of the art Russian Air-force. But that someone can actually get himself into a war with a country like Ukraine without having a viable Air-force - is mind-boggling - at least to me.

I am not really a drone knowledgeable person - but the Russian's seemed to have found a way (last 2 month) to effectively (EW) hinder Ukrainian drones from operating, compared to the months before. Are these Ghost Drones satellite controlled or via ground control units?

Soldier35

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Armenia
An episode of the work of Russian assault groups in Ukraine. Machine-gun crew and a professional sniper pair keep the defense in the building and clear the approaches to it in Ukraine from the enemy. (this and other videos have subtitles)

Soldier35

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Armenia
The crew of the Russian air defense system "Buk" spoke about the confrontation with the American MLRS "HIMARS" in Ukraine. The goal is difficult, but the interception of HIMARS MLRS missiles in Ukraine has ceased to be a problem, Russian air defense crews have already gained experience in combating it.

Soldier35

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Armenia
There was information that the English howitzers L119 caliber 105 mm have already been delivered to the territory of Ukraine. In Ukraine, they said that these howitzers in the future should replace the 122-mm howitzers of Soviet production. Howitzers were produced under license and the United States under the name M119. The L118 light howitzer was developed in the UK to replace the obsolete 105 mm M56 howitzers. The howitzer was produced in two versions: L-118 with a conventional barrel and L-119 with a shortened one. L119s were withdrawn from service by England in 2005. Howitzer L-119 with a shortened barrel shoots at 11 km, it is used mainly for training. The firing range of the L-118 howitzer with a conventional high-explosive fragmentation projectile is 17 km, with an active-reactive projectile - 20 km. The weight of the howitzer is 2.3 tons, the calculation is 5-7 people. Among the advantages of the howitzer are its light weight, the ability to be towed by off-road vehicles and transferred by helicopters.

Soldier35

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Armenia
The Russian Ministry of Defense showed the work of operators of the S-300V air defense system in Russia. The video shows the 9S32 multi-channel missile guidance station. The 9S32 station is capable of simultaneously performing a sector search and tracking up to 12 targets at a range of up to 150 km for aircraft and from 60 to 90 km for various types of missiles. The station has been in service with Russia since 1983.

Soldier35

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Armenia
Let's say the Ukraine's AA and SAM systems are in place and seem to have a 20-30% hit ratio, (average performance) but despite this the Russian AF is not making use of this "advantage" - then I wonder what are they supposed to do, or be able to achieve once Ukraine gets upgraded AA&SAM systems (1-2 month) and most likely a couple of F-16 squadrons.

So this present (6 month) no show of the Russian air-force as surprising as it might be, seems to actually confirm a "miserable" state of the art Russian Air-force. But that someone can actually get himself into a war with a country like Ukraine without having a viable Air-force - is mind-boggling - at least to me.

I am not really a drone knowledgeable person - but the Russian's seemed to have found a way (last 2 month) to effectively (EW) hinder Ukrainian drones from operating, compared to the months before. Are these Ghost Drones satellite controlled or via ground control units?
The Russian army takes care of the infrastructure, people and equipment, mainly attacks are carried out with rockets, artillery and rocket launchers on the positions of the Ukrainian army. I don’t know about drones, but Russia’s electronic warfare has long been known to be effective

Soldier35

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Armenia
The problem is not in the air defense systems of Ukraine, but in a large number of MANPADS