Ukraine investigators consider missile strike, terrorism as causes of Iran plane crash | World Defense

Ukraine investigators consider missile strike, terrorism as causes of Iran plane crash

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Ukraine investigators consider missile strike, terrorism as possible causes of Iran plane crash
Rescue workers inspect the scene where a Ukrainian airliner crashed in Shahedshahr, southwest of the Iranian capital, Tehran.

Ukrainian officials were on Thursday considering terrorism, a missile strike and catastrophic engine failure as potential causes for the fatal crash of one of its airliners in Iran, as aviation authorities in Tehran revealed the jetliner was on fire before it came down.

Ukraine's National Security and Defense council chief, Oleksiy Danilov, said a meeting was taking place with Iranian authorities, where various causes behind the crash were "being studied," including a theory that the plane was hit by an anti-aircraft missile, according to a statement on Facebook.
Other theories under consideration are whether there were technical problems with one of the plane's engines that caused it to explode, whether the plane could have collided with a drone or "other flying object," or whether there was an explosion inside the plane.

Rescue workers inspect the scene where a Ukrainian airliner crashed in Shahedshahr, southwest of the Iranian capital, Tehran.
The Ukrainian International Airlines (UIA) flight PS752 came down just minutes after takeoff from Tehran on Wednesday, killing all 176 people on board, including dozens of Iranians and Canadians. The Boeing 737-800 was headed for Kiev, where 138 passengers were expected to take a connecting flight to Canada. Ukrainians, Swedes, Afghans, Germans and British nationals were also aboard.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I suspect that Iran refuses to hand the black box from crashed plane because they shot it down. Look at the shrapnel damage on wings & fuselage.

33.png

22.jpg

11.jpg

44.png

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
A suspected missile piece was found near the Ukrainian plane crash site. It is a possible concern that Iran mistook the plane for a fighter jet and shot it down.

55.jpg

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
This could be a possibility : I don't think so, but don't have much time for research

The Crotale Short-Range SAM

Crotale is a French 1970s-era radar-guided system deployed on ground vehicles and ships.

How did Iran get them?: In 1979 China imported a few Crotales for a ‘evaluation’—and by the 1980s had reverse-engineered them into a SAM called the HQ-7 (FM-80).

The Iranian Spinoff: In 2002, Iran showed it had reverse-engineered the HQ-7 into the Shahab Thaqeb. Then in 2013, it entered the Ya Zahra short-range air defense system and the Herz-9 (“Protector”) self-propelled variant, shown on video here

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Interesting, it's small, and doesn't appear to have any seeker, but does look like it has guidance

Looks like Tor M1 system

tor.jpg

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
I do not know much about the technical stuff but the question is why planes weren't grounded at the airport. Most of the passengers were Iranian and probably Canadians of Iranian descent so I doubt this was intentional. It is likely a tragic accident in that they suspected it was a US military vehicle but investigation is needed to understand why the plane was allowed to take off.

If it's terrorism it was targeting Iranians but I rule terrorism out as airport security is much better nowadays and it's hard to find ISIS sympathizers in Iran.

Either way I'll pray for the victims of the tragic incident.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
I do not know much about the technical stuff but the question is why planes weren't grounded at the airport. Most of the passengers were Iranian and probably Canadians of Iranian descent so I doubt this was intentional. It is likely a tragic accident in that they suspected it was a US military vehicle but investigation is needed to understand why the plane was allowed to take off.

If it's terrorism it was targeting Iranians but I rule terrorism out as airport security is much better nowadays and it's hard to find ISIS sympathizers in Iran.

Either way I'll pray for the victims of the tragic incident.

It may well have been unintentional but current evidences indiacte the plane was targeted with surfaceto air missile. Canadian PM on air while ago says Canadian intelligence as well as other multiple sources have information that the plane was shot down by an Iranian air system. What is the motive behind it no body knows until now.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
The motive is "They are incompetent" they shot down an airliner taking off from their own international airport
The nose come diameter as shown by @Berke2 doesn’t look more than 45cm instead quite less.

The piece found seems to have a shorter nose length even though the fin shape and diameter seem to match.

I think it may be the angle of the picture causing it to look shorter

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
The motive is "They are incompetent" they shot down an airliner taking off from their own international airport

I think it may be the angle of the picture causing it to look shorter
Yea it’s most probably the angle, could you tell the name of this iran variant SAM ? I want to check details