US, Gulf States To Deepen Military Ties | World Defense

US, Gulf States To Deepen Military Ties

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

US President Barack Obama, second left, sits next to the emir of Kuwait Sheikh.

CAMP DAVID, Md. — The United States and its Gulf allies on Thursday agreed to deepen their military partnership and jointly counter external threats, in the face of Iran's growing role in the region.
Addressing reporters after a Camp David summit with six Gulf leaders, US President Barack Obama said: "I am reaffirming our ironclad commitment to the security of our Gulf partners.

"As we've declared in our joint statement, the United States is prepared to work jointly with GCC member states to deter and confront an external threat to any GCC state's territorial integrity that is inconsistent with the UN charter," he said.

In the statement, the leaders said they agreed "to enhance their work to improve security cooperation, especially on fast-tracking arms transfers, as well as on counter-terrorism, maritime security, cybersecurity, and ballistic missile defense."

And the statement specifically named Iran, a traditional foe of both Washington and the Sunni-led Gulf Arab monarchies, as one of the threats they would work together to deter.

"The United States and GCC member states oppose and will work together to counter Iran's destabilizing activities in the region," the statement said.

Obama called the summit to reassure nervous Gulf allies that the United States is not turning its back on them even as it is trying to forge a deal with Tehran to limit Iran's nuclear program.

"But I want to be very clear," he added. "The purpose of security cooperation is not to perpetuate any long-term confrontation with Iran or even to marginalize Iran."

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
US missile shield is a plot, I hope Gulf leaders don't agree to that. We need a missile shield of our own. We already have one integrated system but we need more enhanced version of the current ones.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
US missile shield is a plot, I hope Gulf leaders don't agree to that. We need a missile shield of our own. We already have one integrated system but we need more enhanced version of the current ones.

I agree .
Despite the air defense system and the other conventional weapons ,we need to achieve the deterrence and that won't happen without a nuclear power + missiles program.

If US failed to stop Iran's nuclear and missile programs, we will start our own programs.I think our officials in Camp David will carry this message to Obama administration.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
I agree .
Despite the air defense system and the other conventional weapons ,we need to achieve the deterrence and that won't happen without a nuclear power + missiles program.

If US failed to stop Iran's nuclear and missile programs, we will start our own programs.I think our officials in Camp David will carry this message to Obama administration.

I remember prince Turkey Al-Fasial made it clear to the world that Saudi Arabia will acquire the bomb If Iran was not stopped. I believe Saudi Arabia is nuclear power already considering the importance of the country to the Muslim world as well in term of economy. What we need is a heavy missile shield.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It's hardly surprising that the U.S wants to deepen military ties with Gulf States. Question is, what do they expect to gain from this? Maybe they want to counter Russia's growing influence in the Middle East? Gulf States ought to be very wary . . . the U.S never does anything unless they expect to benefit in some way.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think it is a politicial game and also, it can be interesting to see what they gain from this deal and also they could be gaining more weapons or lands as well and maybe economy benefit as well. I reckon that, it will be interesting to see what happens later on and also getting more support will maybe help them out in the middle east and the terroism that ocurs as well. The president may see some positive things and also, it could be a good thing and also may improve realtions with this deal and may work out for the best in the end.