US State Dept. approves $4.25 billion Apache helo sale to Morocco | World Defense

US State Dept. approves $4.25 billion Apache helo sale to Morocco

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
US State Dept. approves $4.25 billion Apache helo sale to Morocco

WASHINGTON — The U.S. State Department has greenlighted a possible sale to Morocco of Boeing-manufactured AH-64E Apache attack helicopters worth an estimated $4.25 billion, according to a Nov. 20 Defense Security Cooperation Agency announcement.

The agency has notified Congress, which will weigh in. If lawmakers clear potential deal, negotiations will begin between the country and the supplier, during which the price and quantity are subject to change.

Morocco is requesting 36 Apaches after announcing its intention to purchase the American-made helicopters in 2018. The country was considering both the AH-64 and the Turkish-made T129 ATAK helicopter.

The pending deal includes 24 new Apache helicopters with an option for 12 more, as well as 79 T700-GE-701D engines and 36 AN/ASQ-170 modernized target acquisition and designation/AN/AAR-11 modernized pilot night vision sensors, plus fire control radars, radar electronic units and onboard capabilities for manned-unmanned teaming.

The country plans to buy 551 AGM-114R Hellfire missiles and 60 AGM-144L Hellfire missiles, 588 Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System kits, and AIM-92H Stinger missiles.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
With all due respect to Morocco, they still have a long way to go.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
With all due respect to Morocco, they still have a long way to go.

For what ...? I think this acquisition is for conflict with Algeria and situation they have between each other with militants on the borders. I think it is a stupid conflict and hope they just come to an agreement on some matters. Apparently they are trying to start their own defense industry. Long overdue for all Arab nations.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
For what ...? I think this acquisition is for conflict with Algeria and situation they have between each other with militants on the borders. I think it is a stupid conflict and hope they just come to an agreement on some matters. Apparently they are trying to start their own defense industry. Long overdue for all Arab nations.

Only Saudi Arabia and the UAE are leading the Arab world in defense industry. US Apache have some Saudi components in them. UAE export to Russia as well.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
For what ...? I think this acquisition is for conflict with Algeria and situation they have between each other with militants on the borders. I think it is a stupid conflict and hope they just come to an agreement on some matters

They think they are going to stand up to Spain, a NATO member.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
They think they are going to stand up to Spain, a NATO member.

I doubt it bro.

Only Saudi Arabia and the UAE are leading the Arab world in defense industry. US Apache have some Saudi components in them. UAE export to Russia as well.

I have no idea about defense industry in Arab world besides Saudi, UAE and Egypt which seem to have more robust ones. Algeria has it to an extent too and Jordan on a lighter scale.