Virginia Man Sentenced to more Than 11 Years for Providing Material Support to ISIL/ISIS | World Defense

Virginia Man Sentenced to more Than 11 Years for Providing Material Support to ISIL/ISIS

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
This is a FBI press release detailing the case of a 17-year-old Virginia man who provided support to ISIL/ISIS via social media. Virginia Man Sentenced to More Than 11 Years for Providing Material Support to ISIL | OPA | Department of Justice

The following is an excerpt detailing his actions and their repercussions: "Amin pleaded guilty on June 11, 2015. According to court documents, Amin admitted to using Twitter to provide advice and encouragement to ISIL and its supporters. Amin, who used the Twitter handle @Amreekiwitness, provided instruction on how to use Bitcoin, a virtual currency, to mask the provision of funds to ISIL, as well as facilitation to ISIL supporters seeking to travel to Syria to fight with ISIL. Additionally, Amin admitted that he facilitated travel for Reza Niknejad, an 18-year-old Prince William County resident who traveled to Syria to join ISIL in January 2015. Niknejad was charged on June 10, 2015, in the Eastern District of Virginia with conspiring to provide material support to terrorists, conspiring to provide material support to ISIL and conspiring to kill and injure people abroad."

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I'm glad people who are doing this are getting punished. We have to send a strong message that this will not be tolerated and Americans can not get away with supporting terrorists who want to kill Americans and many other people. Considering what everyone knows about ISIS and their activities, I think the sentence was appropriate.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I'm glad people who are doing this are getting punished. We have to send a strong message that this will not be tolerated and Americans can not get away with supporting terrorists who want to kill Americans and many other people. Considering what everyone knows about ISIS and their activities, I think the sentence was appropriate.
That is loud and clear that the ISIS is the enemy of state and providing help to them is tantamount to rebellion. Well and good, I'd say. But is it the right approach to the problem? When the people are enamoured to a group's advocacy, some would go to great lengths in getting connected. It is plain idolatry like the celebrities being idolized by fans who would spend time, effort and money just to please their idols.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
That is loud and clear that the ISIS is the enemy of state and providing help to them is tantamount to rebellion. Well and good, I'd say. But is it the right approach to the problem? When the people are enamoured to a group's advocacy, some would go to great lengths in getting connected. It is plain idolatry like the celebrities being idolized by fans who would spend time, effort and money just to please their idols.

Yes, and these young people are obviously naive and unworldly. They don't seem able to discern the true intentions of those who are grooming them, despite many such stories in the media. They remind me of the delusional young women and men who followed Charles Manson, a madman. In case anyone is unfamiliar, here's a link to information about Charles Manson and the Manson Family. Charles Manson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well good for him! I hope that they can catch all the other local terrorists that are in the USA as well. ISIS has a lot of supporters in the Western countries who provide funding and other logistic support for their operations.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Well I cannot say I have any sympathy for the person. I hope they and any others that they catch supporting ISIS in some get the same treatment.

I also think that those people going off to fight for them should have their citizenship to their home country revoked and be banned from coming back. People will say it's a little harsh but is it really? They knew what they were doing, they made their choice, and now they have to stick with it. They don't like it, tough.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
This is a FBI press release detailing the case of a 17-year-old Virginia man who provided support to ISIL/ISIS via social media. Virginia Man Sentenced to More Than 11 Years for Providing Material Support to ISIL | OPA | Department of Justice

The following is an excerpt detailing his actions and their repercussions: "Amin pleaded guilty on June 11, 2015. According to court documents, Amin admitted to using Twitter to provide advice and encouragement to ISIL and its supporters. Amin, who used the Twitter handle @Amreekiwitness, provided instruction on how to use Bitcoin, a virtual currency, to mask the provision of funds to ISIL, as well as facilitation to ISIL supporters seeking to travel to Syria to fight with ISIL. Additionally, Amin admitted that he facilitated travel for Reza Niknejad, an 18-year-old Prince William County resident who traveled to Syria to join ISIL in January 2015. Niknejad was charged on June 10, 2015, in the Eastern District of Virginia with conspiring to provide material support to terrorists, conspiring to provide material support to ISIL and conspiring to kill and injure people abroad."
What a twit! I mean people that are implicated in these cases, are frequently bright and would have a great future in front of them. I mean this was a kid from a wealthy DC suburb. Now, why would he want to throw his life away by doing something like that? His future would have probably been limitless.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Well I cannot say I have any sympathy for the person. I hope they and any others that they catch supporting ISIS in some get the same treatment.

I also think that those people going off to fight for them should have their citizenship to their home country revoked and be banned from coming back. People will say it's a little harsh but is it really? They knew what they were doing, they made their choice, and now they have to stick with it. They don't like it, tough.

I agree. They obviously have no positive regard for their home country, and apparently not for their families either, since they are promoting warfare against the place where their supposed loved ones live. I say rescind their citizenship, and let them fend for themselves among their brethren.