What do you think an ideal amount of money for a countries military is? | World Defense

What do you think an ideal amount of money for a countries military is?

JPB_003

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
Here in the U.S., I am lucky to live in a country where most threats from other countries are laughable to say the least. The problem is, at what point are we spending too much? It really seems like the only way to keep the money train going is to be in a perpetual state of war. I believe we should have the highest quality military, due to our situation, but what is your opinon?

The answer can be about your home countries spending with military.

mae_mae

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
In my opinion, investing big amount of money in Military is power! Military equipment are necessary nowadays to have full protection. 30% of the countries budget for military is big enough.Military services is much needed especially that a near war is coming. Maintaining the safety of the people through full protection is required. Safety leads people to have success! as for America , i do believe we are in full power when it comes to military power. America is leading in terms of protection.

rofltank

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Not too much to the point where your country is struggling to put food on the table and barely has any decent education. We're at a certain point of time where we don't have to worry about people invading us or attacking our troops (unless you're in the middle east/terrorism). Obviously it's important to spend a good amount of money on military to keep a consistent number of troops and preparation for future wars. In the end, however, there are nations who spend too much on military, and nations who spend too little.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
A country, any country should spend about 10% of their budget on defense. That's a lot of money. To spend less on their military budgets the U.S should cut military assistance to other nations, be less involved in global conflicts and focus more on building cheaper but more lethal weapons that will be more of a deterrence to any would-be aggressors.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Usually military spending is listed by % of GDP. Which I think is bad... should be % of total budget.
But I don't think there is a simple answer to this question, I believe a strong military is necessary but of course if the country isn't worth living in then why is it worth defending? So yeah, I think military spending is secondary to basic welfare such as hospitals and schools. And some countries are much more in need of a strong military than others.

JPB_003

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
Usually military spending is listed by % of GDP. Which I think is bad... should be % of total budget.
But I don't think there is a simple answer to this question, I believe a strong military is necessary but of course if the country isn't worth living in then why is it worth defending? So yeah, I think military spending is secondary to basic welfare such as hospitals and schools. And some countries are much more in need of a strong military than others.

I agree, it can get to the point like North Korea, where the country is useless, yet has a "functioning" military. I think with increased interest on the national debt, we are going to be paying half of our money just to debt and military. Luckily the U.S. has a lot of money to throw around, but I don't see how much longer this can last.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think you can put a certain amount on it. I don't think we spend too much on defense in this country. We certainly waste it at times on weapons and planes we don't need, and I think everyone is against that. But I think we should do away with that waste and invest the money in our current troops and veterans. Increase their salaries and supplies at the very least.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well I think it depends on which country we are speaking about. Some countries are more at risk than others and therefore the amount spent on the military will vary. Countries which are peaceful when it comes to international conflicts can afford to spend less on their military and focus on their country's development.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Here in the U.S., I am lucky to live in a country where most threats from other countries are laughable to say the least. The problem is, at what point are we spending too much? It really seems like the only way to keep the money train going is to be in a perpetual state of war. I believe we should have the highest quality military, due to our situation, but what is your opinon?

The answer can be about your home countries spending with military.
The US has to spend alot to retain its position as number one in the world,my country(Turkey) needs to spend more R&D,indigenous military industry to become independent.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
The US has to spend alot to retain its position as number one in the world,my country(Turkey) needs to spend more R&D,indigenous military industry to become independent.

Turkey is doing a fantastic job. It has scored noticeably in the R&D and came up with an amazing progress so far. From missiles to helicopter, guns, gears and so on.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Turkey is doing a fantastic job. It has scored noticeably in the R&D and came up with an amazing progress so far. From missiles to helicopter, guns, gears and so on.
We dont have engines,so until we have indigenous engines,we are not there yet.
My guess is that you(King Salman) will finance($40 billion) it and we will build it(TFX,Altay,T-129) for the GCC,Pakistan and Turkiye,we need all three to have a voice on the world stage.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
We dont have engines,so until we have indigenous engines,we are not there yet.
My guess is that you(King Salman) will finance($40 billion) it and we will build it(TFX,Altay,T-129) for the GCC,Pakistan and Turkiye,we need all three to have a voice on the world stage.

Engines for fighters yes but for Tanks Turkey is about to replace Altay current engine with an indigenous one and that is quite and achievement itself and further tells about the effort put by the Turkish military industries. I fully agree with you that we need to team up on heavy stuff like aircraft engines. All GCC states have military cooperation with Turkey and I hope we can go further in this field to be able to reach at least self reliant on military machines.

Pakistan, Turkey and Malaysia along with Indonesia do produce Tanks, Transport and training aircrafts. Saudi Arabia have a lot on fighter missiles tech, software so does the UAE. IF we all gathered and utilized what we have we could establish the necessary millstone for advanced military hayward.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Engines for fighters yes but for Tanks Turkey is about to replace Altay current engine with an indigenous one and that is quite and achievement itself and further tells about the effort put by the Turkish military industries. I fully agree with you that we need to team up on heavy stuff like aircraft engines. All GCC states have military cooperation with Turkey and I hope we can go further in this field to be able to reach at least self reliant on military machines.

Pakistan, Turkey and Malaysia along with Indonesia do produce Tanks, Transport and training aircrafts. Saudi Arabia have a lot on fighter missiles tech, software so does the UAE. IF we all gathered and utilized what we have we could establish the necessary millstone for advanced military hayward.
That engine from TUMOSAN will take some time,
Turkish Firm To Produce Tank Engine

ANKARA — A privately owned Turkish engine maker has signed a €190 million (US $206.35 million) contract with the government to design an engine for the Altay, a new-generation tank the country is developing.

TUMOSAN's Power Group Development program signed the contract on March 17 with the country's procurement office, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM). Last August, Turkey's top procurement panel, the Defense Industry Executive Committee, tasked SSM with opening contract negotiations with TUMOSAN.

The program involves the indigenous design, development, prototype production, testing and qualification of an engine for the Altay. TUMOSAN also will design and develop a transmission for the tank and produce critical parts for its engine, including the diesel pump, electronic control unit and injector.

TUMOSAN said it aims to conclude the program within 54 months and "with maximum possible local content." It said it will obtain foreign know-how wherever necessary.

TUMOSAN hopes that it will also develop variants of the planned engine for other land and naval platforms.

"This [program] will end Turkey's dependency on [foreign] engines for military vehicles," said Kurtulus Ogun, TUMOSAN's general manager.

TUMOSAN, founded in 1975, is a diesel engine and tractor manufacturer. It produces 75,000 diesel engines annually.

The deal comes as Turkey's procurement authorities prepare to officially launch a multibillion-dollar competition.

The race for the serial production will involve an initial batch of 250 tanks to be followed by three follow-on orders, each comprising 250 more tanks.

The Altay program has faced hurdles and delays as the most problematic development feature concerned its engine. Turkey's months-long negotiations with Japan's Mitsubishi Heavy Industries for joint development and production of an engine for the Altay failed last year.

Only then,when we have our own engines,we are independent.
Its good you named Malaysia and especially Indonesia,their R&D teams have gained some serious progres.

Rebel

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
19 1 0
Country
USA

The main problem with the US and the military force is how we distribute the money. For the msot part the US Military is in a great period of underbudgeting and pressure from political leaders that don't really support us. Politicians love to throw around big figures about the military and it's spending but fail to mention that over the past 4 years (at least during my time but probably more) we've been under the threat of pay freezes and even loss of benefits. A big one people might remember would be when the Obama Administration took away educational benefits from the military in order to save money in a budget crisis - it was temporary but people lost an entire semester of their school time - it took an act of Congress 2 weeks later to restore it. We're so busy buying toys and investing in new technologies that we've failed to probably invest in the people. Morale needs a boost and it's no secret that the military is being underpaid for it's skills. While being the best does mean having the best equipment it also means having the best people behind that equipment - if your morale is bad then your force will be bad. That's where money really needs to be spent and I think a proper amount would be just over what we're investing now with a shift of spending habits.

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
As much as is necessary in order to carry out the interest of the nation. Sadly, that interest usually involves killing other people including innocent civilians. In an ideal world the amount would be enough to protect the nation from attackers. Sadly we don't live in such a world and army's are not for protecting countries.