What do you think are the 2 most powerful countries in Europe? | World Defense

What do you think are the 2 most powerful countries in Europe?

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Well, as usual, I would think that it's Britain and Russia. I don't know which is the two is more powerful, but I would think that it's Russia, because despite all the sanctions that are given to it, it still remains its might as it is. And the Britain I consider is because it still has a good military, air and naval power. It still ranks among the world superpowers in terms of wealth and defence strength.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
I would say Great Britain would be the first. Russia could be second, but Germany is up there as well. Power could be defined as different things to different people. Do you mean powerful as far as military? Russia would most likely be a strong two for Military , just because of how big Russia is compared to other European Nations.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Russia is in a unique position as it actually spans two continents - Europe and Asia, with the Urals acting as a border. However, it almost seems to be a continent on it's own and certainly doesn't have any really strong links with any other European countries.

Within the European Union, I would say that the UK and Germany are the most powerful countries. The German economy is more prosperous than the rest of the EU right now and they have a strong, global, manufacturing industry. This, of course, keeps it's citizens in work and keeps the econony ticking over. The UK's strengths are in it's strong links with other countries, particularly the USA.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I think you have to define what you mean by powerful. If it is economy then German would be number 1, if it is military then Russia is number one by far, and if it is a combination of both as well as influence that the United Kingdom will be number one.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
Well, as usual, I would think that it's Britain and Russia. I don't know which is the two is more powerful, but I would think that it's Russia, because despite all the sanctions that are given to it, it still remains its might as it is. And the Britain I consider is because it still has a good military, air and naval power. It still ranks among the world superpowers in terms of wealth and defence strength.
I have to agree... UK and Russia. If world history didnt teach you anything else it should have taught you that you do NOT want to f*** with the Russians. Regardless of the strength of their military, they will burn a city to the ground and risk sub zero temperatures before they'll let you have it. They may not be able to beat you but when almost any other country would have given in they are still raising the middle finger at you. They are #1 on my list.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
Germany’s army is so under-equipped that it used broomsticks instead of machine guns - The Washington Post

Germany, much like Japan, adopted a pacifist military policy after the second world war. Compared to other nations, only a meager 1.3% of their GDP is spent in military expenditure, this appears to have lead to an under-equipped and subpar military.

German industry and economy may be the most powerful, but due in part to its past, the country does not exercise nearly as much international influence and power as the United Kingdom and France.

In addition, the UK and France are the only nuclear powers in Europe. Therefore, in terms of military power, they remain the most powerful countries in Europe. Although, Germany for reasons ranging from economic power and technological sophistication should not be ignored either.

sillylucy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I think of Russia because they have so much land, but they are still so divided from everyone else other than China. The second I think of is England, but they are so small so it makes me think of Germany. Germany doesn't have that political pull that is in the UK though.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
SO many different levels of being "powerfull" As the others have mentioned you have political, economical, military and many other ways to rank how much power some country has. If you combine all of that then I think it's safe to say that the top 3 is UK, France and Germany.

I do not consider Russia to be a part of Europe but if you include them then they should be the #1

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't want to sound so presumptuous but it would be better to refer to authoritative statistics first. I am personally rooting for Germany and the United Kingdom, followed by France and Italy. According to Globalfirepower.com, the following are Europe's top military powers based on a computed power index: European Powers Ranked by Military Strength - 2015. I'm just about right with a few mix-ups.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Militarily the UK and France are the most powerful European nations. Germany would come in third followed closely by Italy. Strange thing though is, even though the UK is believed to be the most powerful nation in Europe, some people think India's military is stronger than the UK's. Makes me wonder whether U.S support makes the UK appear more powerful than it actually is.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Militarily the UK and France are the most powerful European nations. Germany would come in third followed closely by Italy. Strange thing though is, even though the UK is happens to be the most powerful nation in Europe, some people think India's military is stronger than the UK's. Makes me wonder whether U.S support makes the UK appear more powerful than it actually is.

Germany homemade hardwares are more advanced that UK and France.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Guys seriously? Russia is not located in Europe despite being ethnically, culturally and racially connected. Russia is a transcontinental country and is located in north Asia connecting Asia to Europe. The question the OP asked was this ''What do you think are the 2 most powerful countries in Europe''.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Germany homemade hardwares are more advanced that UK and France.
So technically Germany is more powerful than the UK. And I've come to learn that the assumption that Germany isn't "nuclear-armed" isn't entirely accurate.

While Germany is not categorized officially as a nuclear power, it produces nuclear warheads for the French Navy. It stockpiles nuclear warheads (made in America) and it has the capabilities of delivering nuclear weapons.

Come to think of it, Germany just might be the most powerful country in Europe.

Last edited:

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Actually I don't consider Russia as a part of Europe even if part of their territory is in Europe. The most powerful country has to be Germany and after that the UK and France even if the UK is almost a country outside of Europe too...

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
The 3 most powerful, not just in military but ranked in the world would have to be UK, Germany and then France for me. These are the 3 countries that hold a lot of power and other countries around the world will take note of what they're doing or saying.