Who Has The Most Power in Europe? | Page 2 | World Defense

Who Has The Most Power in Europe?

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
I'd say it's Germany as well. They have the biggest and most technologically advanced economy. They will dominate Europe for a long time to come. Some might be tempted to say Russia, but their economy is in tatters and the fact that they have nukes doesn't really matter that much.

France and the UK also have nukes. German economy is tied to the Euro, with QE just being started for the Eurozone (Euro countries - not all of EU) that is targeted in the trillions of dollars, they may be dragged down significantly by the dead weight of the failed/failing Med and ex-Soviet states and this ongoing new debt. The UK actually benefits from this as their EU bills are significantly reduced (due to exchange rates) and the pound stay unaffected by the sell off - although it will hit EU the export market for British goods.

If the UK pull out of the EU in 2017 (referendum) - which is likely as it stands - then the full weight will be on German and French shoulders (economically) - it may well end the EU.

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
France and the UK also have nukes. German economy is tied to the Euro, with QE just being started for the Eurozone (Euro countries - not all of EU) that is targeted in the trillions of dollars, they may be dragged down significantly by the dead weight of the failed/failing Med and ex-Soviet states and this ongoing new debt. The UK actually benefits from this as their EU bills are significantly reduced (due to exchange rates) and the pound stay unaffected by the sell off - although it will hit EU the export market for British goods.

If the UK pull out of the EU in 2017 (referendum) - which is likely as it stands - then the full weight will be on German and French shoulders (economically) - it may well end the EU.
It's not a well known fact, but countries like Germany and the Netherlands have nuke sharing agreements with the US and they have access to the US nukes stationed in their countries in case of attack.

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
It's not a well known fact, but countries like Germany and the Netherlands have nuke sharing agreements with the US and they have access to the US nukes stationed in their countries in case of attack.

Also with the UK nuclear fleet - part of the WW2 agreements to keep Germany unarmed.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
I agree with most people here. In Europe, it is the economy that rules rather than military force. Hands down, the economic powerhouse of the EU is Germany, with France and the UK not too far behind. If Europe ever faced a military need, I wouldn't be surprised to see Germany be the fastest in strengthening its military capabilities.

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
Depends in which sense you are talking about it. By most "powerful" do you mean in terms of economically most powerful, and if so, are you asking in terms of the highest GDP. If so, then it would have to be Germany, followed by France and then the UK for the top 3. However if we're talking in terms of GDP per capita (per person), then Luxembourg (or Monaco, depending on your source), would be the most "powerful".

If you look at it from a military perspective, then it would be a different story too. From what I can tell, France has the largest amount of active military personnel, so they might be considered as the strongest in that sense. Again however, it changes with looking at other things like amount of aircraft, ships, equipment etc. Also, it depends on if you're counting just the EU countries, or all countries within Europe.

Clearly, the definition of the most "powerful" country varies depending on what factors you're looking at, and in what context. So I would say there isn't a clear standout country who seems to be the most powerful.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
I think that the most powerful country has to be Germany, they are the bosses or Europe. After them we have both the UK and France, highly influential as well, but not as much as Germany.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Gernany has by far the best economy in Europe. Though its in no great condition compared to the United States and China. The whole of Europe is struggling in a lot of ways currently. They just dont have the demographics or economic policies to thrive in the 21st century.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
I would not say that gmckee, I don't even know what that means. We are already in the 21st century and the countries are modern, but we should really fight over health and education, these should be the basis of society, not defense.

Tigoci

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Not easy to tell.
Probably Germany, Russia, the UK alongside France was my first thoughts.

Pretty interesting topic, I have to say. According GFP, which takes over 50 factors into account, Russia is at 2nd place, right below USA. Should be noted that these numbers don't take nuclear capabilities into account, so that's something to consider as well. One could imagine that the massive amount of Russian troops, comparably, could help flaw these figures, but interesting nonetheless.

horse next door

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Germany
Germany seems like the winner in having the best economy, but for me Russia is the winner of having the most power in Europe. Russia could invade any country in any moment, just as they did with Ukraine. Russia does what it wants, and nobody can stop it. The amount of fire power they have is ridiculous.

haitch

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I see Germany as possibly the most powerful country in terms of economics and alliances. I think that In the triangle with Britain and France they will become the leading nation in eastern Europe and take more control over international affairs.

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
Oh my apologies!! in Europe I would have to say that it would be Russia for warfare power and UK for armed forces and financial strength

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
Economically yes. Germany is the largest economy in Europe followed by France and UK. Due to its size it is one of the main contributor of growth in entire Europe. It is among the most influencial countries in Europe or perhaps the most influencial.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well by power what do you mean? Germany seems to have economic power while Russia has the military power. The United Kingdom has a powerful ally in the United States. Aside from those countries then it seems like America still has a lot of influence over Europe.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
A follow up to this, does anybody know where Russia places on the list?