Women could get combat roles in British Army by 2016 | Page 5 | World Defense

Women could get combat roles in British Army by 2016

sillylucy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I don't agree that women should go into combat because that many of them might be raped by their fellow soldiers. This just makes them a target within their own group and to the enemy. While I think this way, I am happy that they are allowed to and have the option to do so.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't agree that women should go into combat because that many of them might be raped by their fellow soldiers. This just makes them a target within their own group and to the enemy. While I think this way, I am happy that they are allowed to and have the option to do so.

Sorry, but that's a bit of an extreme viewpoint. The majority of men are NOT rapists (I say this as a woman) and it is pretty insulting to say that they are. Men manage to work with women and not rape them in all areas of life, why should the military be any different?

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
It is about time! For those saying that women may not be as capable as men in combat roles, I say that if they can pass the military's training standards then they are good enough. Both men and women volunteering to enlist are, or should be, aware of any hazards they may face in combat. I have the utmost respect for those who are willing to make that choice.

fliktor7

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Spain
I agree, if any person, man or women, could pass the required training, then he/she should be allowed to go to the frontline.
Maybe men are more strong usually, but any person should have the same oportunities

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
I read an article which said that a survey of women who underwent military training underperformed against their male counterparts in just about every aspect of the training. I think this only applies to women from western countries where, generally speaking, women are smaller in body size than the men. In many eastern countries, women are as big as if not bigger than men. Perhaps one reason is how women are brought up in the east and the west. In the east, women worked alongside the men in the fields, women did a lot of hard labour in the home, so it's not surprising that women in the east are as big as if not bigger than the men. In the west, the women tend to lead a more sheltered life, therefore end up being smaller and weaker than the men.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
If they can do the job, I don't have a problem. Guys on the front line will grow to accept it. I would have a problem if they're put there just for political correctness reasoning. But in principle they should be able to do the job.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
There's no reason why women shouldn't be allowed to defend their countries in war. Or against terrorists who quite obviously are the groups which we'll be fighting for an indefinite time. Maybe they've learned a thing or two from the Kurdish Peshmerga female fighters. The gender of a soldier matters little if what they are fighting for is worth dying for . . .

Here's what a female soldier battling ISIS says:
'On the frontline, the only difference between a male peshmerga and us is in the machine guns we use.

'The heaviest weapon we use is the 14.7mm. The men use heavier guns. Other than that, there are no differences between us.

goncalogdct

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Portugal
While I do agree women should be allowed to get combat roles, there are several ways the army itself should be more ready for it.

I recommend reading this article, for some examples.

dwon30

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
As serving in the US army for over 8 years, I can definitely say that women in the military are highly capable of doing just about anything that their male counterparts can do. The only thing that stands in their way is the fact that man are by nature physically stronger than most females. However there are always exceptions to this rule and I have seen some females that can lift more than some men.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
It is being said that women are just as capable as men and some people want to follow other nations such as Denmark in letting women enroll in combat roles in the British Army.

Also, this being my first new thread i wasn't sure how to go about it, hope i did well :)

I agree. I am a guy myself, but agree with any proposition that moves towards the abandonment of discrimination against women. I think it's the time that we stop it and face the new progress that awaits when we're all one, both women and men. Women should be given equal opportunities with men and let a healthy competition to bring out the best in each of us commence.

dwon30

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I agree. I am a guy myself, but agree with any proposition that moves towards the abandonment of discrimination against women. I think it's the time that we stop it and face the new progress that awaits when we're all one, both women and men. Women should be given equal opportunities with men and let a healthy competition to bring out the best in each of us commence.
Too true, I think it builds for a much stronger force when all members are at the top of their game. Telling women that they are any less than a man builds for bad morale and in the military morale and motivation are key.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think it is good, women are getting a chance to work in the front lines and will help the male soldiers in the fight when they get weary from fighting the enemy and driving them back. I think we will see more of this happening and it may improve the military system and we will see the women joining the army and being given more roles. I hope they get more good ones, and treated fairly, and may do better than males when it comes to making choices or moral choices which happens in war.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
First you did very well especially being your first thread. I think that women are very capable and should be allowed to prove if they can do something. Being a woman I believe that we have been granted a lot of patience that will help in strategizing to win in every challenge. Physical strength is not everything.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
It's good that they have equal opportunities now but from what we all know, men are more made for front lines than women. I'm not saying they should not allow women to be there, i'm just saying that a man is more fit for the job.