Women could get combat roles in British Army by 2016 | Page 2 | World Defense

Women could get combat roles in British Army by 2016

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Men who are not up to the standard required will not be sent to the frontline. Same with women. If they fail to meet the required standard, they cannot be sent to the frontline. Men who pass the requirements are sent to the frontline. Same with women. When they meet the requirements, they can be sent to the frontline.

I think one of the reasons behind that reluctance to send women to the frontline stems from a nagging suspicion that, if women were to be sent to the frontline, they might just do better than the men.

If I were a women I'd rather die than getting raped. Women in the frontline are subject to that if they get captured by the enemy.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
If I were a women I'd rather die than getting raped. Women in the frontline are subject to that if they get captured by the enemy.

I think men are also subjected to abuse when they get captured by the enemy. The thing is, women are not forced to fight on the frontline. If they want to volunteer and they are capable, then more power to them. Rape is just one of the occupational hazards they have to face. If they cannot deal with that, they should seriously consider choosing another occupation.

Stims

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Nice job >|
You did it well , but next time please try to check the link of the original source to keep your effort (you didn't put it correctly) .

don't worry I provided the thread with correct link .;)

Thanks.

Thanks for correcting me, i thought i'd done it properly :p

Some very interesting points being put forward here but i think i have to agree with what rga said that it is skills and heart that matter more than ones gender.

That being said, one of the main arguments being put forward against the idea is that soldiers on the front line are expected to be able to carry a man (complete with all the gear) to safety on their own; some people just can;'t see a woman being strong enough. Again though, it is interesting that many of these opinions come from people with no front line experience... i guess when in action with things like adrenaline, people will do what they never thought possible.

Jakarri Demery

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
As for the movie, well, a lot of movies are done horribly wrong. I choose not to take their "truths" as fact. Infatuation does make a person act differently; and being with a person for an extended period of time can change them. However, I don't a person's basic nature cannot be changed so quickly. If a person is prone to aggression, that person tends to stay that way. Infatuation may make the person act different for a short while; however, they're likely to return to being aggressive (Reference: Psychology Classes). But this is going off topic so I'll stop there. ~$~
I would love to hear about others stories with being in combat with women. Perhaps I'll also read a few scientific articles about it later.

Well I meant it's truth to the notion that being in love or a loving states diminishes the faculty for violent aggression in men. To mean it's simple, the two energies are polar opposites. Hot, cold......In war I would want my brothers to be angry, hot, you know what Im saying? I mean yeah maybe you can get it from science or Psychology Classes, but I can get it from my own life. Look around, men in love behave differently, you can see it in their eyes. I have friends, when we were younger, the ones that had a girl they really really loved were more calm to me personally. If you want references.........even though Japan lost the war, they had some of the most courageous warriors on the planet at that time, the info is out there. Without that bomb I doubt U.S could have won due to the strength of the Japanese fighters. This had a lot to do with what I speak of.

I don't think it's coincidental that the modern U.S military doesn't have much of a ground game anymore. It directly correlates with the penetration of women and having families and the likes. I'm not saying women aren't capable, but to a certain extent their not. It would have taken the best of the best out of women to keep up with me..........and I wasn't even a superior athlete. Yes, I was athletic, I broke a couple of obstacles course records, but I wasn't even close to some of the top guys. So pound for pound, nah it's not even close, and it's not supposed to be.

We need more women at the top to stop the wars in the first place. We need more women at the negotiating tables to balance it out. I see Putin and Cheney in a room, how in the hell could these two get anything accomplished. It would mostly be one trying to dominate the other. So int that respect, yeah, more women in Congress would definitely be helpful in reigning in some of the conflicts I see as pointless. However, just don't think society will allow that to happen.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
some people just can;'t see a woman being strong enough

In that case, some people need to see more women. I have personally seen women working at construction sites doing the same tasks as the men (because they are paid the same wages as the men), carrying heavy stuff as the men, and, the way they are dressed in clothes which shield them from the sun, no one would have known that they were women. Of course, not all women can do that. Not all men can do that, too. We are not talking about sending everyone to the frontline. We are only sending those women, and men, who are capable.
fXIBfPx.jpg

Dez97

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
USA
I'm happy to know that women are finally getting the recognition that they deserve, but 2016 is still a while, but hey improvement happens when it needs to.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
"The UK defence secretary, Michael Fallon, has announced he wants to end the army’s ban on women serving in frontline infantry roles"

It is being said that women are just as capable as men and some people want to follow other nations such as Denmark in letting women enroll in combat roles in the British Army.

The UK defence secretary, Michael Fallon, has announced he wants to end the army’s ban on women serving in frontline infantry roles

I'm personally surprised this hasn't been debated earlier to be honest. I don't fully agree that women should be on the front line though, i mean it's a fact that physically they are not as capable as men in some tasks. That being said, i can certainly see why some women would want the chance to prove this wrong.

What are everyone elses thoughts on this?

Also, this being my first new thread i wasn't sure how to go about it, hope i did well :)
I think women can do well in combat, lets face it how much physical combat are men doing nowadays. Everything is done with weapons that anyone can shoot with the right training. Now if men where actually fighting with their bare hands that would be different. Women should have the right to fight in war if they want.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
Not just any women can go to the front of a war, but then again, neither any men, so I guess that if they volunteer is because they feel able, so why shouldn't they? I believe in equality of rights.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Men who are not up to the standard required will not be sent to the frontline. Same with women. If they fail to meet the required standard, they cannot be sent to the frontline. Men who pass the requirements are sent to the frontline. Same with women. When they meet the requirements, they can be sent to the frontline.

I think one of the reasons behind that reluctance to send women to the frontline stems from a nagging suspicion that, if women were to be sent to the frontline, they might just do better than the men.

You might be right there!

I agree with your point about meeting the required standards - if you are capable enough, who cares about your gender?

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya
"The UK defence secretary, Michael Fallon, has announced he wants to end the army’s ban on women serving in frontline infantry roles"

It is being said that women are just as capable as men and some people want to follow other nations such as Denmark in letting women enroll in combat roles in the British Army.

The UK defence secretary, Michael Fallon, has announced he wants to end the army’s ban on women serving in frontline infantry roles

I'm personally surprised this hasn't been debated earlier to be honest. I don't fully agree that women should be on the front line though, i mean it's a fact that physically they are not as capable as men in some tasks. That being said, i can certainly see why some women would want the chance to prove this wrong.

What are everyone elses thoughts on this?

Also, this being my first new thread i wasn't sure how to go about it, hope i did well :)
I think that would be a big mistake as women are not more adept in the battlefield.I think they would fair well in other roles such as logistics and surveillance which are equally important roles. Since time immemorial,women have had their roles defined so i don't think this is the perfect time to revise those roles.

Dez97

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
USA
I love they way they've still bothered to put their make-up on!
Well even though they are in the Army and have the possibility of dying at anytime, they are still women regardless, and it helps to still look beautiful. They still have the same women urges, even though they are in the Army. That's like saying they shouldn't have a menstrual cycle anymore because they are women in the Army.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Well even though they are in the Army and have the possibility of dying at anytime, they are still women regardless, and it helps to still look beautiful. They still have the same women urges, even though they are in the Army. That's like saying they shouldn't have a menstrual cycle anymore because they are women in the Army.

Oh no, I'm not saying that they shouldn't bother, not at all. I was just impressed that they HAD bothered and that they still wanted to look glamorous! Women will be women, wherever they are!

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
I love they way they've still bothered to put their make-up on!

Ah, you probably are not a woman, if you say that. I am not a woman either but my mother operates a beauty saloon so I get to see a lot of women having their faces made up. A woman does not only put on make-up to look beautiful. For some women, putting on make-up is as basic as, say, brushing teeth. For other women, putting on make-up is something which is part of a routine. For these women, not putting on make-up would be somewhat akin to wearing shoes without socks.