Women could get combat roles in British Army by 2016 | Page 3 | World Defense

Women could get combat roles in British Army by 2016

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, you probably are not a woman, if you say that.

I am female, I thought my username gave that away! I just thought it was great that even though they could be under attack at any time, they are still determined to look beautiful! More power to them!

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
I am female, I thought my username gave that away!

LOL. My apologies. I should have noticed that. I thought that your username was a variation of something like Mitsubishi. Actually, I think some women wear make-up like some men wear warpaint.

Sarz

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think that although physically different women are just as capable as men. There are women who are probably stronger than some men too. I think that it is only fair that they have the opportunity to fight on the frontline for their country if they should wish to do, then why shouldn't they be allowed to.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think that although physically different women are just as capable as men. There are women who are probably stronger than some men too. I think that it is only fair that they have the opportunity to fight on the frontline for their country if they should wish to do, then why shouldn't they be allowed to.

Indeed, why shouldn't they? The ability to fight on the frontline probably has more to do with a persons characteristics and mindframe than their actual capabilities.

downsouth

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I understand the wanting equal rights thing and I am all for it. But I don't think women should be in combat. They are the practical thinkers for the most part and I just can't imagine my wife (or anyone's wife) fighting alongside me in combat. And that is someone's mother if she dies in war. For the most part that is much harder on the children than the father passing away.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I understand the wanting equal rights thing and I am all for it. But I don't think women should be in combat. They are the practical thinkers for the most part and I just can't imagine my wife (or anyone's wife) fighting alongside me in combat. And that is someone's mother if she dies in war. For the most part that is much harder on the children than the father passing away.

This is another good point. Like I've already mentioned, I do think it's about having the right frame of mind, rather than gender. The death of any parent is hard on children and plenty of soldiers are somebodys father.

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I agree with Aree...there are several points to consider here.

1.) Is there a fear that women may outperform men in the front line of combat? Women have proven to be successful leaders in many different facets of life and being on the front line has always been something that has been "men only," they are reluctant to give that up...that's a great point.

2.) Women serve in police and fire departments throughout the U.S. and over time have proven to be valuable contributors to search and rescue teams, SWAT divisions, etc. Some women had to go through hell in order to get through those screening processes but made the commitment and in turn made the team.

I say, give them the opportunity, if they have earned the position. You only want to put the best people qualified for the job...into the job.

downsouth

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
It is not about being sexist or denying a woman the right to fight for her country. There are just many other factors to consider because she is in fact a woman. I do not believe women (for the most part) are aggressive or violent in nature. They are nurturers and caregivers. If they want to fight they should be allowed to fight but I think it would do more harm than good from a cultural standpoint.

jade870

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I think men and woman should have the same right, I would say that there are some men that shouldn't be sent to the frontline. Both men and woman should have the same right. If a man would do better on the front then they should be there or if a woman would excel in this better then she should be there. I really think it all depends on your body and your mental ability, Women have a higher pain threshold than men so this helps woman some. But as far a physical strength most all men would have the upper hand on that part. In combat the best person that fits the the requirements, should get the placement.

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I am very glad that the British military have taught it wise to give women the opportunity to showcase themselves in the battle field. This shows that the British Government are certainly encouraging there women in this area.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I am very glad that the British military have taught it wise to give women the opportunity to showcase themselves in the battle field. This shows that the British Government are certainly encouraging there women in this area.

Yes, I think it's great. So far, there have been no complaints. I remember one argument against this which was based on the problems involved with men and women "fraternizing" but this was really quite insulting. It basically implied that the male soldiers would not be able to control themselves and the women would not be able to resist. Pretty offensive to both sexes.

elmarianexx

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Netherlands Antilles
I believe that women and men will never be equal, but all the way it's good news that women could get those combat roles in armies.

ClassyTulip

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
"The UK defence secretary, Michael Fallon, has announced he wants to end the army’s ban on women serving in frontline infantry roles"

It is being said that women are just as capable as men and some people want to follow other nations such as Denmark in letting women enroll in combat roles in the British Army.

The UK defence secretary, Michael Fallon, has announced he wants to end the army’s ban on women serving in frontline infantry roles

I'm personally surprised this hasn't been debated earlier to be honest. I don't fully agree that women should be on the front line though, i mean it's a fact that physically they are not as capable as men in some tasks. That being said, i can certainly see why some women would want the chance to prove this wrong.

What are everyone elses thoughts on this?

Also, this being my first new thread i wasn't sure how to go about it, hope i did well :)
I'm surprised that this hasn't happen yet! I believe that a woman has the right to fight on the "Front lines" just as well as any man has the right. It is 2015 and we're still discussing the rights of men and women. Of course, some women are not as physically strong as some men, but so what! Women can use their mental strengths in physical combat, making them just as capable as any man. We have to learn that being strong isn't just based off of visual aspects but are also very well defined cognitively.

ClassyTulip

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
Men who are not up to the standard required will not be sent to the frontline. Same with women. If they fail to meet the required standard, they cannot be sent to the frontline. Men who pass the requirements are sent to the frontline. Same with women. When they meet the requirements, they can be sent to the frontline.

I think one of the reasons behind that reluctance to send women to the frontline stems from a nagging suspicion that, if women were to be sent to the frontline, they might just do better than the men.
That's right! great response. It might be some form of fear that women actually can do better than the men on the front lines. I personally think that they should give it a try. Since everyone has to qualify to be qualified, it makes sense that the war field should be leveled.