Would you a full scale war against IS do more harm than good? | World Defense

Would you a full scale war against IS do more harm than good?

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
In terms of economic issues, would a full scale war against IS represent a problem for the US and/or Europe? If they decide to get involved and use ground forces as well.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well certainly it will cost a lot of money to go to war with IS but I think it would be money well spent if they can rid the world of such creatures. If the reason for not fighting them is economic then the world is in serious problem.

Colebra

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Portugal
In case you don't know, the U.S. Air Force has been bombing ISIS positions for a while now...
Sending other resources there, that's a whole different discussion.
Also, I'm inclined to believe that such a move at this point, would only ramp up the amount of terrorist attacks we're already experiencing all around the world.
Not to mention that people are flying from all around the world to join ISIS.
Obama's best move, at this point, is probably to support Qatar, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, etc. with whatever they need.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
War always is costly. Sending ground troops would probably hasten the degradation of ISIS. But obviously, there'll be some collateral damage. Those affected would swell the ranks of ISIS.

That probably is what the terrorists want. They want to draw the West into the conflict. Make it appear that they're at war with Islam. Should their ruse work, then they'll unite extremist in all countries and we'd have more problems than we do now. Best thing is to let the Arab league deal with the problem instead of arming Shia militia's which would transform this into a sectarian war that might never end.

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
War always is costly. Sending ground troops would probably hasten the degradation of ISIS. But obviously, there'll be some collateral damage. Those affected would swell the ranks of ISIS.

That probably is what the terrorists want. They want to draw the West into the conflict. Make it appear that they're at war with Islam. Should their ruse work, then they'll unite extremist in all countries and we'd have more problems than we do now. Best thing is to let the Arab league deal with the problem instead of arming Shia militia's which would transform this into a sectarian war that might never end.
Yeah you are right war is very costly. However if you look a the overall view of the situation, ISIS actions create instability to the entire Middle Eastern region not just to the people but the entire regional economy as a whole. A lot of American or even European businesses have locations there. If ISIS is eradicated the regional balance will somwhat back to normal. Economies and businesses will be vibrant again which is also good for americans, europeans and the rest of the world.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
If ISIS is eradicated the regional balance will somwhat back to normal.
But for how long?

ISIS has given extremists some hope that it's possible to establish a new Caliphate in the Middle East? Since there already is instability in the Middle East, destroying ISIS won't restore stability immediately, radical militia's will still find safe havens either in Syria, Iraq or Yemen and from there they'll still wage war, to establish a Caliphate.

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
In terms of economic issues, would a full scale war against IS represent a problem for the US and/or Europe? If they decide to get involved and use ground forces as well.
The main thing getting involved in the war against ISIS is that they would probably use a partial military just to see how hey function. The problem is that the feeling from Congress seeing if they want to get involved or not.

Goblinforhire

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
Kenya
In terms of economic issues, would a full scale war against IS represent a problem for the US and/or Europe?

You're assuming that only these two territories would fund a war against ISIS and I think that this is misguided. I'm fairly certain that there are countries from all regions of the world including the Middle East would help in whichever way they can to get rid of them.
I do think that a war against them would be good, the only bad thing would be the loss of life for civilians and the armed forces of the countries which will fight against them.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a horrible feeling that war is the only way this is going to get sorted out. There's going to be another attack on the USA at some point and this is likely to be the point at which Obama (or whoever) springs into action - he's certain to have a plan for all this anyhow. Dn't forget that Jordan, Egypt and Japan, amongst others, have massive beef with ISIS so this isn't exclusively a US/EU issue.

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
At this stage in the fight, the forces of civilization, be they Middle Eastern countries or those from the west, need to go all in and destroy these monsters. If we don't, they'll eventually carve out a nation-state of their own from Syria, Iraq, and whatever other country can. Imagine ISIS with an, eventual, A-bomb? Not a pretty sight to behold.

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
You're assuming that only these two territories would fund a war against ISIS and I think that this is misguided. I'm fairly certain that there are countries from all regions of the world including the Middle East would help in whichever way they can to get rid of them.
I do think that a war against them would be good, the only bad thing would be the loss of life for civilians and the armed forces of the countries which will fight against them.
Israel could join in too if possible. I am not sure if ISIS attacked Israel or not if the US were to do a full scale war against ISIS then Europe, Canada, UK, and maybe Japan would join in. I am not so sure if Turkey would join the fight too or would they back off.

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
Yes. It would hurt. They want full scale wars so they can dent our troop status and take control/advantage of their home territory (guerrilla warfare) and play right into their hands. We need feint tactics and bait-and-switch to lure them out to make sure of minimum levels of casualties.

Sinan

Reactions
226 2 0
Country
Turkey
Israel could join in too if possible. I am not sure if ISIS attacked Israel or not if the US were to do a full scale war against ISIS then Europe, Canada, UK, and maybe Japan would join in. I am not so sure if Turkey would join the fight too or would they back off.
Israel can't join or everybody would put their differences aside and fight Israel. Israel and US knows this so they kept Israel out of the coalition.

About Turkey, we have some pre-conditions if they are met, we would join the party.

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
Yes. It would hurt. They want full scale wars so they can dent our troop status and take control/advantage of their home territory (guerrilla warfare) and play right into their hands. We need feint tactics and bait-and-switch to lure them out to make sure of minimum levels of casualties.
This is going to be another difficult battle to deal with. I remember watching something on the American Heroes Channel that I have on my TV talking about how different military tactics would be if the zombie apocalypse would be. Even though, this post has nothing to do with zombies the show was talking about how the military would start sending smaller teams to the battlefield.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Attacking IS from the air is one thing but to send in ground troops is a totally different ball game. While a lot of people feel that it might be necessary, and indeed inevitable, from a UK perspective this would be a very risky strategy in my opinion.
I think if it did happen, it would no doubt get more support off the british public than for example the conflict in afghan, but I feel it would be a war that we can't afford to get involved in...I'm not saying never, I'm just saying not yet...