Afghanistan current affairs, news, discussion and update | Page 10 | World Defense

Afghanistan current affairs, news, discussion and update

Zulu

Reactions
2,010 60 0
Country
Pakistan
Wish someone start an discussion 1)who are guarantees in this agreement 2)what gurantee they provided 3) Whats US demand 4)who provided that assurance and on what cost.Also some backgrounds discussion about Habitullah AKhwand,Mullah Yaqoob ,Abbas Stakzai ,Mullah abdul ghani brother as understanding players first can help understanding the game

Zulu

Reactions
2,010 60 0
Country
Pakistan
Think outside the box that make him more suitable as he represents those whom Ashraf Ghani cant and u think Ashraf Ghani is not lover of india ???its all about politics.Taliban playing their cards very smoothly
Abdullah is not Pushtoon and he is absolutely hated by Taliban and Pakistan

!eon

Reactions
426 10 0
Country
Pakistan
There is no Pashtoon, Non-Pushtoon factor in Taliban lines.

That's why Pakistani Pashtoon nationalists like PTM, ANP, Pashtoon khwa Mili Party are not welcomed by Emarat e Islami Afghanistan.

In fact, there was an open letter by former Ameer Muhammad Umer Akhund against extreme "Nationalism" (قوم پرستی ) . I would post it here if I find it. It was in Pashto though.

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
When I was around 8 or 9 I first saw Hikmatyar in my Karachi neighbourhood. I was very impressed by his speech but then when Kabul fell he bombed the shit out of Kabul. I then hated him. Years later I realized that this Jihad business makes honest people turn into power hungry monsters. Gen. Hameed Gul was the only person worthy of our praise that I know of. He used to stay at my Uncle's house in Toronto. Very impressive guy...straightforward, honest and patriotic.

One thing I don't understand about Afghanistan is why this country is not split up along ethnic lines. Why is this still a country.
When my friend was in Afghanistan he was assigned as a trainer. First day in class he realized that the class was already divided along ethnic lines. They were not even talking to each other. So they decided to shake things up and mix their patrols and train them to get along. After few days of new strategy a young recruit had his head blown off by his fellow soldiers claiming it was an accidental discharge. They quickly segregated their groups because it was clear that the man was killed because of his ethnicity.
Now imagine how to train these misfits ....its completely hopeless. It was a well known, seen and documented fact that one particular ethnic group targeted young boys and their commanders were completely in.
Many soldiers after coming back needed counselling and treatment.

I wish i had anything good to say about Afghanistan and their peace process...this country is doomed.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
When I was around 8 or 9 I first saw Hikmatyar in my Karachi neighbourhood. I was very impressed by his speech but then when Kabul fell he bombed the shit out of Kabul. I then hated him. Years later I realized that this Jihad business makes honest people turn into power hungry monsters. Gen. Hameed Gul was the only person worthy of our praise that I know of. He used to stay at my Uncle's house in Toronto. Very impressive guy...straightforward, honest and patriotic.

One thing I don't understand about Afghanistan is why this country is not split up along ethnic lines. Why is this still a country.
When my friend was in Afghanistan he was assigned as a trainer. First day in class he realized that the class was already divided along ethnic lines. They were not even talking to each other. So they decided to shake things up and mix their patrols and train them to get along. After few days of new strategy a young recruit had his head blown off by his fellow soldiers claiming it was an accidental discharge. They quickly segregated their groups because it was clear that the man was killed because of his ethnicity.
Now imagine how to train these misfits ....its completely hopeless. It was a well known, seen and documented fact that one particular ethnic group targeted young boys and their commanders were completely in.
Many soldiers after coming back needed counselling and treatment.

I wish i had anything good to say about Afghanistan and their peace process...this country is doomed.
Can you tell me why he bombed Kabul?

!eon

Reactions
426 10 0
Country
Pakistan
Iran and India have similar interests in Afghanistan, not only after 911 but also long before 911.
So Iran's joining Russia-China-Pak on Afghanistan can't be trusted. Hopefully, this time somebody in GHQ would be able to think about Chabahar to Bloch residences in southern Afghanistan.
All the recent attacks on Pakistani security forces occur near Iranian border, and this wave came after Taliban-US peace deal.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Suspected Taliban Attacks Kill Over A Dozen Afghan Security Personnel
Updated July 20, 2020 18:00 GMT
1595285464200.png

Afghan security forces sit in a Humvee vehicle amid ongoing fighting with Taliban militants in Kunduz in May.

Over a dozen Afghan security personnel have been killed in suspected Taliban attacks.

The Defense Ministry said a suicide truck bomber struck an army convoy in the central province of Maidan Wardak on July 20, killing at least eight Afghan soldiers.

The ministry said another nine soldiers were wounded in the attack in Sayed Abad district.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the assault, although similar attacks in the past have been blamed on the Taliban and Islamic State (IS) extremist group.

Hours earlier, an Afghan official said at least eight government security personnel were killed in a Taliban attack in the country's north.

Esmatullah Moradi, the spokesman for the governor of Kunduz Province, said Taliban militants stormed two security checkpoints in the early hours of July 20.

Moradi said five police officers and three government soldiers were killed in the hours-long clashes.

The Taliban has not commented on the attacks.

The attacks came as the Taliban intensify operations across the country, particularly in the country's north, where Afghan forces are more exposed.

Last week, Taliban fighters stormed the offices of country's main intelligence agency in the northern province of Samangan, killing 11 security personnel and wounding dozens of others, mostly civilians.

The Taliban continues to stage regular attacks across Afghanistan despite signing an initial peace deal with the United States in February.

That agreement was intended to pave the way for direct talks between the militants and the Afghan government over a permanent cease-fire and a future power-sharing deal.

Those talks were supposed to begin in March, but the process has stalled over the implementation of a major prisoner release.

The peace deal calls for Kabul to free 5,000 Taliban prisoners in exchange for the Taliban releasing 1,000 government captives.

So far, the government has freed more than 4,200 and the Taliban have let go around 800 prisoners.

With reporting by AP

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Suspected Taliban Attacks Kill Over A Dozen Afghan Security Personnel
Updated July 20, 2020 18:00 GMT
View attachment 15042
Afghan security forces sit in a Humvee vehicle amid ongoing fighting with Taliban militants in Kunduz in May.

Over a dozen Afghan security personnel have been killed in suspected Taliban attacks.

The Defense Ministry said a suicide truck bomber struck an army convoy in the central province of Maidan Wardak on July 20, killing at least eight Afghan soldiers.

The ministry said another nine soldiers were wounded in the attack in Sayed Abad district.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the assault, although similar attacks in the past have been blamed on the Taliban and Islamic State (IS) extremist group.

Hours earlier, an Afghan official said at least eight government security personnel were killed in a Taliban attack in the country's north.

Esmatullah Moradi, the spokesman for the governor of Kunduz Province, said Taliban militants stormed two security checkpoints in the early hours of July 20.

Moradi said five police officers and three government soldiers were killed in the hours-long clashes.

The Taliban has not commented on the attacks.

The attacks came as the Taliban intensify operations across the country, particularly in the country's north, where Afghan forces are more exposed.

Last week, Taliban fighters stormed the offices of country's main intelligence agency in the northern province of Samangan, killing 11 security personnel and wounding dozens of others, mostly civilians.

The Taliban continues to stage regular attacks across Afghanistan despite signing an initial peace deal with the United States in February.

That agreement was intended to pave the way for direct talks between the militants and the Afghan government over a permanent cease-fire and a future power-sharing deal.

Those talks were supposed to begin in March, but the process has stalled over the implementation of a major prisoner release.

The peace deal calls for Kabul to free 5,000 Taliban prisoners in exchange for the Taliban releasing 1,000 government captives.

So far, the government has freed more than 4,200 and the Taliban have let go around 800 prisoners.

With reporting by AP

This looks eerily similar to Afghan Mujaheddin attacking Najib's afghan army with impunity circa 1986-87 just before the Soviet withdrawal.

AliYusuf

Reactions
1,643 69 0
Country
Pakistan
But I still have doubts that the US are really going to pull out their forces 100% from Afghan soil. They will maintain a small but powerful contingent in Afghanistan for the foreseeable future, in my humble opinion.

With the way situation is unfolding in the region lately and China beginning to impose its dominance, I doubt that the US will leave completely and provide carte blanche to the adversaries to US interests.

Counter-Errorist

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,855 149 0
Country
Pakistan
But I still have doubts that the US are really going to pull out their forces 100% from Afghan soil. They will maintain a small but powerful contingent in Afghanistan for the foreseeable future, in my humble opinion.

With the way situation is unfolding in the region lately and China beginning to impose its dominance, I doubt that the US will leave completely and provide carte blanche to the adversaries to US interests.
A small force in a place like Afghanistan can only be used to protect their own selves and perhaps a few key locations. It won't be useful in sort of power projection sort of way.

AliYusuf

Reactions
1,643 69 0
Country
Pakistan
A small force in a place like Afghanistan can only be used to protect their own selves and perhaps a few key locations. It won't be useful in sort of power projection sort of way.
It will give them capability to ward off initial challenges till help comes in from the nearby gulf CBG (Which will also be the source of all US power projection in the future).

Counter-Errorist

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,855 149 0
Country
Pakistan
It will give them capability to ward off initial challenges till help comes in from the nearby gulf CBG (Which will also be the source of all US power projection in the future).
Well, on second thought, I do see its usefulness. US presence is mean to deter Russia and China from economically benefiting from passageways that Afghanistan can provide. Leaving a small force in the country would definitely keep them both wary of when and how they might interfere with their projects. And leave a window open for that force to balloon up whenever required.

!eon

Reactions
426 10 0
Country
Pakistan
It looks like there is tussle going on between the White House and Pentagon. Contractors and Pentagon want to stay and make bills. Trump understands what they want and pulling in opposite.

But what if their opponent forces in Afghanistan get only few MANPADS and AGTMs?